getting a CPAP machine, any advice?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KFhunter

getting a CPAP machine, any advice?

Post by KFhunter » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:49 pm

I had a sleep study, referred from my cardiologist cause my blood pressure is crazy high and they couldn't control it..

anyways my sleep study tech said I was "severly severe" whatever that means. I don't have any printouts. She said I stopped breathing like 105 times, and anything over 5 required a CPAP machine.

Now I'm heading to a medial place to get fitted for a machine, which one should I ask for? will I have an option??

KFhunter

Re: getting a CPAP machine, any advice?

Post by KFhunter » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:54 pm

from sniffing around other posts I wrote down Respironics "M" series auto CPAP AFLEX viewer and card reader, I'll request that one if I can.

I don't think I require much for pressure, my sleep tech said I took right too it very easy....I slept like a freaking rock during my study once they put that mask on

I was like "holy crap where am I" when I woke up, never done that before!! I don't think I've had a good nights sleep in years judging by that last 5 hours in the sleep lab lol

deerhound

Post by deerhound » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:07 pm

You do want to get a data capable machine. The Respironics M series; PRO and both AUTO machines are data capable. Don't let them give you a PLUS machine since it only records compliance hours. You will probably have to get the card reader and software from someone like cpap.com. I don't know anything about the other manufacturers machines, but there is plenty of information posted here. Search the site for Data Capable Machines. You should find some good information.

Dale

AHI:
Untreated 156
Treated 1.1

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:22 pm

Respironics isn't the only good machine. There are many, many others, Image especially recently. It seems as if, in the past year or so, any number of good machines are popping up on the market with attractive pricing and features.

You need to consider the requirements of your therapy and your doctor's recommendations, as well as what you would like to accept. Some machines are not good for some of the MANY sleep disordered breathing conditions. I don't know enough to give you specific reasons, but I do know that it isn't always a good idea to specify the machine if you do not have enough knowledge.

That said, do not trust the word of your DME provider at first look. While some are very honorable, and knowledgeable, there are others (seemingly the majority) who are unable to even read the name of the machine Image from its label, let alone the box.

Best wishes,

Karen,
Who has had good and bad experiences
Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

jda1000

Post by jda1000 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:34 am

When I got mine, I didn't have the insight or the brains to probe the issue - I got what my doctor must've prescribed...I put more thought into buying my food processor - but three months ago didn't consider buying medical equipment something I needed to concern myself with. I lucked out - I think I got a good machine, and it works well for me.

It's a Resmed Autoset II, with an H4 humidifier and a Quattro full-face mask. I have NOT used anything else. I've taken this one on several road trips - it all fits in a smallish briefcase. It's got a memory card, but I don't use it and don't know how that compares to other data-capable gear. I just read my efficacy and usage data each morning and write it down.

Good luck....
Machine: Resmed Autoset II
Humidifier: Resmed H4i
Mask: Mirage Ultra

tdm5032c

Post by tdm5032c » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:05 am

I've got the M-Series Auto machine with A-flex and absolutely LOVE it. It is quiet, works perfectly, and with the A-flex seems to perfectly anticipate my breathing and is about as natural as you can get in my opinion. I haven't tried any other machines though. Make sure you get the humidifier with it, no matter what machine you get. I only use mine in passover mode, but it makes big difference.

As far as the mask goes, do you sleep on your side, your back, or your stomach? Look at the different masks and try to figure out which one would work the best for the way you sleep. Also makes a big difference if your a mouth breather or a nose breather when you sleep. I'm a nose breather and the nasal mask works great for me. I have the Swift LT and it is lightweight, comfortable, and seems to work great for me anyway. If they'll let you, try different masks until you find one that works great. Sounds like the one you had at the sleep study actually worked good for you, so you might consider that one first.

My two cents.....worth about that much too

P.S. I LOVE/HATE my Swift LT!!

KFhunter

Post by KFhunter » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:36 am

I ended up with this one, with the heated humidifer shown in the pic below

http://www.resmed.com/en-us/products/fl ... u=products

and this mask

http://www.resmed.com/en-us/products/ma ... u=products

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:24 am

You ended up w/a goodie!!! These Resmeds can't be beat for EASY ACCESS to MORE data via the LCD screen than any other brand on the market. The other brands provide excellent therapy as well but can't compare w/the Resmeds for that easy access to so much data.

To access your nightly data you must do so before noon each day. These xPAPs have an internal, 24 hour, noon-to-noon clock. At noon that night's detailed data rolls over into the averages. You can write down that data as you access it and keep it in a log or in Excel.

To access your data on a Resmed press the Left and Right buttons and hold for 3-4 seconds. Efficacy Data should appear in the LCD screen. From then on in it is simply a matter of Left button to Enter, Right button to Exit, Up button to return to the previous screen and Down button to proceed to the next screen. If the above button combo doesn't work it is because your doctor didn't order access to the data (and probably wasn't even aware that access was available) and your local DME supplier's staff didn't turn that access on from the Clinicians Menu when they set your Elite up (a lot of them aren't even aware of that access either! They tend to use the Quick SetUp Guide rather than actually READ the Clinicians Manual - which is different than the Users Manual you are provided with). Just ask your supplier to turn that access to the advanced patient menu on. Or, if necessary, ask your sleep doctor to script the access be turned on.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

SharkBait
Location: Texas -- the ugly part... El Paso? No, not quite THAT ugly...

Post by SharkBait » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:05 am

KFhunter wrote:I ended up with this one, with the heated humidifer shown in the pic below

http://www.resmed.com/en-us/products/fl ... u=products

and this mask

http://www.resmed.com/en-us/products/ma ... u=products
You done good.

Get some Lansinoh Lanolin for your nares (for nursing mommies at the drug store next to the baby products) to help you get used to those pillows on your nose all night. Also helps with the seal of mask.

Also, post some numbers on here and let us know how you're doing!!!

This is a new journey. It's a marathon, not a sprint. There will be low spots, so get over here, discuss, and ask. Lots of experience here with lots of solutions, many of which have helped me immensely!

Encore Pro 1.8.49; Encore Pro Analyzer 0.8.9 by James Skinner
SnuggleHose - Got the 8 foot and cut it down to 6, used the rest for mask hoses.
Memory Foam Pillow - Cut my own out of my Tempur-pedic pillow. (works great!)
Hose Mgmt - Velcro Tie Strap

KFhunter

Post by KFhunter » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:42 am

The dude that gave me the machine and showed me how to use it was really cool, he's been on CPAP himself for a long time and really seemed to know his stuff.

I had my first half night on it, I say half night because last night at 9pm I got a phone call saying I needed to come into work 4 hours early. So I "slept" from 10:00pm - 2:45am.

not sure how well I slept, I was conscience of the mask all night long and fiddled with it a lot. I had my humidifyer up too high so the line filled up with water and gurgled for ahwile. Dumped the water out and turned the humidifyer down to 2, seemed to work.

I like the ramp up thing, have it set at 10 minutes then it goes up to 8. BTW I know that can't be PSI so what measurement is it?
The ERP feature is way cool, at the study lab their machine just pushed pressure all the time and you had to exhale hard to get past it..this thing lowers the pressure when you breathe out then shoves the air in when you inhale. Take a small breath and you get a huge one lol

SharkBait

Post by SharkBait » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:58 am

KFhunter wrote: BTW I know that can't be PSI so what measurement is it?
Pressure is in cmH20.

Hang in there, you definitely get used to the mask. I just finished 4 weeks and I hardly know it's there any more and I usually sleep though the night. Just gotta make sure you will never sleep in bed without that mask. Once you ditch it "just once", it's a slippery slope from there...

SnuggleHose - Got the 8 foot and cut it down to 6, used the rest for mask hoses.

SharkBait

Post by SharkBait » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:02 am

KFhunter wrote: not sure how well I slept, I was conscience of the mask all night long and fiddled with it a lot. I had my humidifyer up too high so the line filled up with water and gurgled for ahwile. Dumped the water out and turned the humidifyer down to 2, seemed to work.
What you had is called rain-out, and easily fixed problem. Get you a hose cover (most are fleece) to cover that hose. Setting of 2 will most likely be plenty for the humidifier, but it makes the hose a little more comfortable to be in bed with and helps considerably with any rain out problems.

You got SO lucky on your DME. He gave you a great machine and (IMO) a great mask.

KFhunter

Post by KFhunter » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:32 am

I was estatic to see that my CPAP runs on 12v!! I was worried I'd have to buy (or do without) a machine on camping trips and such

I'm going to buy a 12v cigerette lighter cord, and now a fleece hose liner

should I bother with software and card reader? My DME is only 10 minutes away and says he can DL the stuff anytime I want too, tells me to come DL the info and he'll print it all out for me to take to the doc. I was thinking it wasn't worth the hassle since he's close and willing.,

DME told me not to put anything on the nose pillows, told me to keep them free of nose grease and such.
found out on this site that folks are using that nursing nipple stuff...should I use it too? seems it would help seal the leaks

From reading this site I realize how freaking lucky I am to have a cool DME!

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:28 pm

Yep, you are lucky to have such a great DME. BUT - when it comes to running your Elite II on other than household electricity, look it up on cpap.com for just exactly what you need to run it on a battery - it needs a sine-wave something or other or whatever, its not quite so simple as just whatever you would usually do. I haven't ever used mine on other than household electricity - or when our power is out and our generator is providing electricity to specific outlets and appliances in the house. I just know you can RUIN your Elite if you don't buy the right stuff for it and cpap.com tells you what is needed.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

SharkBait

Post by SharkBait » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:35 pm

KFhunter wrote:I was estatic to see that my CPAP runs on 12v!! I was worried I'd have to buy (or do without) a machine on camping trips and such

I'm going to buy a 12v cigerette lighter cord, and now a fleece hose liner

should I bother with software and card reader? My DME is only 10 minutes away and says he can DL the stuff anytime I want too, tells me to come DL the info and he'll print it all out for me to take to the doc. I was thinking it wasn't worth the hassle since he's close and willing.,

DME told me not to put anything on the nose pillows, told me to keep them free of nose grease and such.
found out on this site that folks are using that nursing nipple stuff...should I use it too? seems it would help seal the leaks

From reading this site I realize how freaking lucky I am to have a cool DME!
I'm sold on the Lanolin. And going a full night can make your nostrils a little tender since they're not used to this. But even after I've "toughened up", I keep using it for the help with the seal. I don't use it when I nap and it does make a difference in getting a good seal.

How were your event numbers (AI, HI, AHI...) on the limited time you had last night?

Tough call on the software. I personally like seeing exactly what happened last night and the card only holds so much detailed data... (3-5 days worth depending on your machine I think...).

But it's up to you of course. I'm a techy so I just love the data and reporting and even if I had someone 1 minute away, I'd still invest in being able to check it out every morning myself.