Sinus infections with CPAP machine Help!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
hodag

Sinus infections with CPAP machine Help!

Post by hodag » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:01 am

I was wondering what can be put in with the water of a CPAP machine to cut down on flair ups of Sinus infection caused by the CPAP machine? I have gone years without this problem. Now, I wear it a day or two and the sinus is infectioned. I drink a gallon or two of ACV and it clears it up. Looking for a short cut. BTW... I love my CPAP! Thanks

Grems4ever

Re: Sinus infections with CPAP machine Help!

Post by Grems4ever » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:59 am

Same boat here...

David

gasparama

Post by gasparama » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:11 pm

This topic is one that comes up quite often. There is nothing that you can put in the humidifier water. A lot of people use a netti pot or other nasal wash system and that seems to help them. I use a prescription steroid nasal spray and an allergy tablet every day, but still have a lot of infections. For me the answer has been to take antibiotics several times a year when the sinus infection gets so bad that bronchitis develops. This sounds discouraging, but it's just been all that my doctor and I have found that works. In fairness, I was prone to these infections before CPAP therapy but they got worse after getting on the hose. You can use the search feature to find more information. Here's one link that will provide you with some info.
viewtopic/t39692/search.php?keywords=%2 ... mit=Search

5aces

Post by 5aces » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:30 pm

Investigate to determine if the Sinus Infection is Chronic.

This can be an arduous process.
While in an infected state,you should try get a sinus x-ray.
If indeed a sinus infection is determined by radiology,you will likely be prescibed antibiotics(in degrees of strength as necessary) and a steroid spray to reduce inflammation.
In addition a daily nasal rinse program will probably be recommended.
After six weeks or more,if symptoms still persist,a CT scan of the head may be ordered.
This is the definitive test for sinus infection and other sinus disturbances.
Exhausting all medical efforts(above)to reduce sinus discomfort and help CPAP compliance/ease of use,will then perhaps point to surgical intervention as recommended by the Ear,Nose and Throat Surgeon you will likely be seeing at the time.

Good Luck,I have my surgery booked for April 02/09,to try clean out a persistent sinus infection.
Last edited by 5aces on Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

Grems4ever

Post by Grems4ever » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:34 pm

gasparama wrote: For me the answer has been to take antibiotics several times a year when the sinus infection gets so bad that bronchitis develops. This sounds discouraging, but it's just been all that my doctor and I have found that works. In fairness, I was prone to these infections before CPAP therapy but they got worse after getting on the hose.
That's what I have been having to do too. Unfortunately, my bronchitis is compounded by the fact that I'm also asthmatic. Add Prednisone to the list and you have how I manage.

David

gasparama

Post by gasparama » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:59 pm

Grems4ever wrote:
gasparama wrote: For me the answer has been to take antibiotics several times a year when the sinus infection gets so bad that bronchitis develops. This sounds discouraging, but it's just been all that my doctor and I have found that works. In fairness, I was prone to these infections before CPAP therapy but they got worse after getting on the hose.
That's what I have been having to do too. Unfortunately, my bronchitis is compounded by the fact that I'm also asthmatic. Add Prednisone to the list and you have how I manage.

David
I do understand. And I've had the CT scan and the surgery to clean the sinuses. At this point, I think that was just a money making scam. I can't take oral steroids, but I've started using Advair, and the bronchitis is better. There are a lot of CPAP users who are having the sinus problems, and there are some whose sinus problems have cleared up from the machine. But for me, the therapy has exacerbated the problem. The name of the game is "survival" I hope you get some better answers than mine!!!!

Jane

Grems4ever

Post by Grems4ever » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:25 pm

I've not had much luck with Advair or Singulair - they both give me muscle spasms that are far worse than the bronchitis & sinus problems could ever dream of.

I've pretty much resigned myself that its just the way I am.

David

gasparama

Post by gasparama » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:52 pm

Grems4ever wrote:I've not had much luck with Advair or Singulair - they both give me muscle spasms that are far worse than the bronchitis & sinus problems could ever dream of.

I've pretty much resigned myself that its just the way I am.

David
I hate to be such a fatalist, but I understand

Jane

tdm5032c

Post by tdm5032c » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:29 pm

Okay, so this might be a stupid question, as I haven't had these problems, but if ACV helps to cure your sinus infection, would it help to add some of it to the humidifier? Wouldn't think it would hurt anything as the water and humidifer are on the output side of the machine and won't hurt the machine itself. I've read a lot of good things about ACV and know it helps a lot of people.

P.S. I LOVE/HATE my Swift LT!!

islander

Post by islander » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:26 pm

I also have several sinus infections annually which I treat with antibiotics, have had three surgeries to alleviate sinus problems. I have found that if I act promptly when first experiencing congestion with a good sinus flush with saline solution using a Grossan sinus irrigation system that I can often head off an infection. I have lived with chronic sinusitus for all my life and do not think it has been complicated with use of CPAP/APAP. It is not fun but does seem to work for me most of the time as I experience fewer infections of shorter duration using the saline solution.

hodag

Post by hodag » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:33 pm

Thanks everyone. I have never had it this bad. This is the first year that it has taken over my nights & days. i have used my CPAP for 5 years now and this just started this winter. I can't believe we are doomed like this. My infection is sneezing, running nose none stop, and watery eyes til ACV works it's magic.

noslow56

Post by noslow56 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:25 am

hodag wrote:I was wondering what can be put in with the water of a CPAP machine to cut down on flair ups of Sinus infection caused by the CPAP machine? I have gone years without this problem. Now, I wear it a day or two and the sinus is infectioned. I drink a gallon or two of ACV and it clears it up. Looking for a short cut. BTW... I love my CPAP! Thanks
I'm a newbie...what is ACV?

5aces

Post by 5aces » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:16 pm

2 tablespoons of Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
1 gallon of purified water
Organic raw locally harvested honey or agave nectar to suit your taste...

If you drank a full gallon of pure ACV it could lead to some serious complications that possibly could result in death. These possibilities include cardiac arrest, internal bleeding and brain hemmoraging.
ImageImage

nate fry

Post by nate fry » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:12 pm

I quite using my humidifier years ago and now say saline, saline, saline several times a day.Helps me.
Nate

hodag

Post by hodag » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:55 am

ACV - Apple Cider Vinegar. As for the amount. I found most are doing 1 TSP to 8oz of water. This is the one I have been doing and it works. UPDATE: tried adding ACV to my Humidifier So far so good, will keep you updated. Used same rule for ACV 1 to 8oz. BTW a humidifier holds 12oz if anyone is interested. That's to the line on the side. Thanks for all the good information.