Dr. vist and you already know the answers!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mhorowit

Dr. vist and you already know the answers!

Post by mhorowit » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:13 pm

Although there is a lot of excellent information on the forum, and I couldn't have gotten along as well as I have without it, it's never a bad idea to check with a doctor. So I did.

I have mild OSA and wanted to hear for myself if there was anyway to get off the machine.
I have some good news and not so good news and news in-between.

I showed him my sleep study summary, told him that except for some putzing around with my mask, I tolerated the pump well; that I wanted to know my options and he said:
a) CPAP was the gold standard (gee, never heard that before)
b) Pillar was 80% for snoring and 50% for OSA. No guarantee and not really encouraging.( )
c) He was a CPAP believer.

and then.....
because I was in the mild category, if I wanted to go somewhere for a week where it would be inconvenient to use the pump, leave it home.

I expressed surprise at the last, quoting the "Nap with your PAP" and he replied mine was so mild that napping was not a risk, that he had some patients who were much worse off than me that felt fine and the only reason they came in was because their wives couldn't stand the snoring anymore.

So, it may be that although my study did show I was having apneas, the insomnia may be causing the jelly-legs, mind fog, lack of interest in things; so I'll stay on the machine and work on the insomnia with my other doctor - Mike

LinkC

Re: Dr. vist and you already know the answers!

Post by LinkC » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:23 pm

Well, I would call that good news. I would also be diligent about using CPAP when you can.

Do you remember what your AHI (Apnea-Hyponea Index) was from your sleep study?

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

roster

Post by roster » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:28 pm

Do you know if you have positional sleep apnea? It may be much on your back than on your stomach or sides. Here is an extract from a post:
rooster wrote:............
I would like to make you aware of "positional sleep apnea" (PSA). Maybe 40% or more of patients have PSA.

PSA means the apnea is much worse in one sleeping position (on the back) compared to other sleeping positions. For example, my sleep apnea is very severe when I am sleeping on my back.

For people with PSA, the sleeping position can have a big effect on CPAP pressure requirements. For example, I have been titrated in a sleep lab and at home have confirmed my pressure requirements for different positions. On my back I require a pressure of 19 cm (Yow!). On my side or stomach, a pressure of 8.5 cm is sufficient. So I have some devices and train myself to sleep only on side or stomach and use pressure of 8.5 cm.

You may want to make some observations about the possibility of PSA in your case. There may be information from your lab PSG also.

Last edited by roster on Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:32 pm

mhorowit wrote:he said:
a) CPAP was the gold standard (gee, never heard that before)
b) Pillar was 80% for snoring and 50% for OSA. No guarantee and not really encouraging.( )
c) He was a CPAP believer.
Smart doc.
mhorowit wrote:and then.....
because I was in the mild category, if I wanted to go somewhere for a week where it would be inconvenient to use the pump, leave it home.
Not very smart about that.

mhorowit wrote:so I'll stay on the machine and work on the insomnia with my other doctor - Mike
You're smart.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

mhorowit

Post by mhorowit » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:44 pm

mhorowit wrote:so I'll stay on the machine and work on the insomnia with my other doctor - Mike
You're smart. [/quote]

RG - what a great judge of character!
Anyone say you looked like Diana Shore? - Mike (please don't tell me you don't know who she is)

mhorowit

Post by mhorowit » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:46 pm

LinkC wrote:Well, I would call that good news. I would also be diligent about using CPAP when you can.

Do you remember what your AHI (Apnea-Hyponea Index) was from your sleep study?
Absolutely - "total AHI was 14.8. 6.6 in REM and 37.9 in the supine position" - Mike

mhorowit

Post by mhorowit » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:50 pm

rooster wrote:Do you know if you have positional sleep apnea? It may be much on your back than on your stomach or sides.

Hi Rooster - Oh Yeah! here's the quote in the summary of the study "The findings are consistent with mild obstructive sleep apnea which appears to be significantly worse in the supine position. <snip some stuff> . The patient should also attempt not to sleep in the supine position." - MIke

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:54 pm

mhorowit wrote: ... Anyone say you looked like Diana Shore? - Mike (please don't tell me you don't know who she is)
Ha! "I" remember a Dinah Shore. A blonde. Singer. Had her own TV show. The show's theme song was "See the USA in a Chevrolet ...." (gads! I've forgotten the rest of the words!).

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

roster

Post by roster » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:07 pm

mhorowit wrote:
rooster wrote:Do you know if you have positional sleep apnea? It may be much on your back than on your stomach or sides.

Hi Rooster - Oh Yeah! here's the quote in the summary of the study "The findings are consistent with mild obstructive sleep apnea which appears to be significantly worse in the supine position. <snip some stuff> . The patient should also attempt not to sleep in the supine position." - MIke
Mike,

How are you feeling? Are you checking data?

mhorowit

Post by mhorowit » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:16 pm

rooster wrote: Mike,

How are you feeling? Are you checking data?
Most of the time I feel good. The measures I use are: Do I have the "brain-fog"? Am I interested in things?, followed by "Am I sleepy? Am I cranky? If those indicators are in the green zone, even if I've only slept 4hrs, I know I"m OK.

I'm checking the display. My leak rate is still high so the indicated AHI (1.8-2. is suspect but I'm sure it's below 5. If I can make the mask just a little looser and understand this one leak I get, I"d be very happy.

I'm dealing with some other issues which one of my doctors believes is causing my conscious (non-apnea related) sleep problems; If I can attack that problem I can get back to my beloved 8 hrs.
- Mike

mhorowit

Post by mhorowit » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:22 pm

Slinky wrote:
mhorowit wrote: ... Anyone say you looked like Diana Shore? - Mike (please don't tell me you don't know who she is)
Ha! "I" remember a Dinah Shore. A blonde. Singer. Had her own TV show. The show's theme song was "See the USA in a Chevrolet ...." (gads! I've forgotten the rest of the words!).
You forgot Tennessee! That was one of their most notable natives! and I remember the song; if you GOOGLE for "see the USA in a Chevrolet" the first entry will take you to a YouTube video of Dinah; see if you don't think she looks like RG - Mike