Newbie headed for trouble

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
medfire883

Post by medfire883 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:52 am

I started this process in the middle of May and have been DX'd with OSA. (AHI 41) Titration study Jul 23 said 13 cm/h2o. Now here is where I think I'm headed for trouble... The Sleep Dr my insurance sent me to also owns the Sleep Study Center AND the local national franchise DME. When I tried to talk to him about CPAP equipment/masks he brushed me off with the old "All new style machines have data you'll see at your follow up appt. and I'll get you a good one. Now its the middle of August and still no machine. Wondering if this is heading to a war. Any suggestions ideas as to how long it should take to finally get my machine and should I accept (ie sign the paperwork) if they try and give me what you call a brick?
Thanks in advance !!

Last edited by medfire883 on Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

englandsf

Re: Newbie headed for trouble

Post by englandsf » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:55 am

Welcome to the hose head world. When did you complete you titration study? My CPAP handover took about 2 weeks after that - with me chasing the DME for an appointment. Not same outfit but they all seem the have allied businesses.

OhHelpMe

Post by OhHelpMe » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:59 am

All new style machines have data you'll see at your follow up appt. and I'll get you a good one.
Maybe he will. Your job is to refuse anything that is not among the exact models acceptable to you.
should I accept (ie sign the paperwork) if they try and give me what you call a brick?
Did you really need to ask that?
Now its the middle of August and still no machine.
Has he received your prescription? If so, when? Do you have a copy of your prescription for your records and possible later use?
Wondering if this is heading to a war.
Do you enjoy drama?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:01 pm

Find out who is in network for your insurance, read up on machines, demand the RX in your hand.
I strongly advise if your doc and the DME are in bed together--RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:41 pm

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I finished my sleep study at 7 a.m. Friday morning and had my machine by 1 p.m. The next day. Doctor had the sleep center fax their hand written notes to him and sent the script to the DME by noon that day. Got a call at 1 to come get it. It can be done!

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:48 pm

medfire883 wrote:I started this process in the middle of May and have been DX'd with OSA. (AHI 41) Titration study Jul 23 said 13 cm/h2o. Now here is where I think I'm headed for trouble... The Sleep Dr my insurance sent me to also owns the Sleep Study Center AND the local national franchise DME. When I tried to talk to him about CPAP equipment/masks he brushed me off with the old "All new style machines have data you'll see at your follow up appt. and I'll get you a good one. Now its the middle of August and still no machine. Wondering if this is heading to a war. Any suggestions ideas as to how long it should take to finally get my machine and should I accept (ie sign the paperwork) if they try and give me what you call a brick?
Thanks in advance !!
I would worry about this..........Preferably, get your prescription from the doctor (according to hippa he must give it to you) and ask your insurance company what DMEs are in network. Go out and interview them. Ask lots of questions. There is no reason for a long delay.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:46 am

Medicare regulations prohibit the doctor who prescribes cpap therapy from having a financial interest in the DME who is supplying the equipment.
It's call "conflict of interest".

Don't know what insurance you have but just bear in mind it's a big no no for Medicare patients.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:31 pm

BTW, my sleep doctor/lab owner gave me pdfs of all my lab and titration reports and my RX (which he changed to my exact spec for me). The DME was great but the person who helped left and they are now just average...