O2 Meter ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Gale Hawkins

O2 Meter ?

Post by Gale Hawkins » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:23 pm

http://healthtestingathome.com/checkmat ... runit.aspx

Does purchasing a meter like this Check Mate require an RX?

Gerald

Re: O2 Meter ?

Post by Gerald » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:43 pm

No Rx required....but what are you going to use it for?

Are you a pilot?....worried about O2 depravation at high altitude?

Or are you trying to find out what your O2 saturation levels are while you're asleep?

For use while asleep, a better choice is the SPO-7500 recording oximeter with software.

Gale Hawkins

Post by Gale Hawkins » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:00 pm

WOW! the 7500 is nice but cost 3x has much as my CPAP machine.

Too bad Autozone does not rent this kind of tool.

Gale

tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:32 pm

Wow, that is pricey. Would you say there is a correlation between good numbers/data on the CPAP machine and acceptable oxygen levels? I'm not sure I can afford an oximeter like that.
Sleep well and live better!

junie

Post by junie » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:56 pm

I was looking at them that one is a nice one

Additional Comments: Pressure #11, FF. mask Flexifit 431 & 432, also Mirage Swift ll Nasal Pillow,
Judy

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:04 pm

YIKES!!! The price!!! wow!!! It is a nice one but if I have to pay out of pocket --that won't be on my list to get!!! How do you get insurance to pay for it? Does the Dr. have to give you a script for it?

Carrie

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

kebsa

Post by kebsa » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:50 pm

I could be wrong, but i do not think that one records data, so either you or someone else would need to be awake to monitor it- that is a bit pricey for one that does not record. I payed $165 for one(CMS-50E) that records a full nights data and i know the SPO-7500 is also one that records data. They are useful but i guess you need to decide whether it is worth the out of pocket expense- i liked the analogy of a diabetic using a glucometer to monitor control -as a diabetic that struck a cord so i thought the money was worth it- just make sure if you buy one that it records data

Gale Hawkins

Post by Gale Hawkins » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:00 am

kebsa wrote:I could be wrong, but i do not think that one records data, so either you or someone else would need to be awake to monitor it- that is a bit pricey for one that does not record. I payed $165 for one(CMS-50E) that records a full nights data and i know the SPO-7500 is also one that records data. They are useful but i guess you need to decide whether it is worth the out of pocket expense- i liked the analogy of a diabetic using a glucometer to monitor control -as a diabetic that struck a cord so i thought the money was worth it- just make sure if you buy one that it records data
kebsa this has to be the best meter deal I have seen. Thanks for sharing. I really like the software feature but the meter can be set to alarm all the way to 35% but one might be dead when it went off if set that low. One could set it like at 80% or what ever as a fail safe. Thanks again.

http://www.echostore.com/wireless-oximeter-cms50e.html

Bret L.

Post by Bret L. » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:43 pm

I was doing a search on Oximeters here and last year there was a post about this meter and different places to buy it. There were a few people having an issue with Echostore. There were some post about buying it from other places and it seems that getting it from this place is:
1. less expensive $161.95 as of today.
2. better help
3. better service.

http://www.semedicalsupply.com/pulse_oximeters.htm

Now I haven't used them, nor can I say how good this company is, but others said they were very helpful.

Gale Hawkins

Post by Gale Hawkins » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:14 pm

Bret L. wrote:I was doing a search on Oximeters here and last year there was a post about this meter and different places to buy it. There were a few people having an issue with Echostore. There were some post about buying it from other places and it seems that getting it from this place is:
1. less expensive $161.95 as of today.
2. better help
3. better service.

http://www.semedicalsupply.com/pulse_oximeters.htm

Now I haven't used them, nor can I say how good this company is, but others said they were very helpful.
http://www.lakeface.com and echostore.com seem to be the same place even if prices vary a few dollars. They shipped the same day they received my order and two days later I had it by UPS. I had no reason to talk to anyone however. One computer the install of the software took about 8 minutes but the other one had some USB port issues and it took forever but that was my hardware issue and not with the oximeter.

After three nights of good data I am loaning it overnight to a friend who snores and wants overnight data to review.

Knowing my selection of CPAP settings is working and there are no centrals cause a drop in staturation is good to know. I plan to use it over night every month or two to spot check levels. I also plan to never be without one again.

jda1000

Post by jda1000 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:23 am

I bought the CMS 550-E - I think from the Echo store. I had no problems...it arrived in a few days, and while the instructions were the bad Chinese to English translation, I had it up and running shortly. I've used it almost every night; I download it and print it, and then write my CPAP machine numbers alongside - rather building a record over time. I've also used it to track my pulse during light exercise - walking at a brisk pace in my 'hood - and found it had some weird data spikes where my pulse would suddenly read 170 and my SpO2 would drop to 65, but I think those were motion-induced errors. I hope I'd know if my pulse went from 115 to 170 for no reason.

I haven't worn it during intense exercise yet, but will try it tonight. It's one of those tech hazards: being able to record data, I'll find an excuse to do so. But I think SpO2 and pulse and pulse recovery rates are interesting parameters in monitoring my heart function, which, given ten years of being overweight and having OSA, probably needs to be watched....
Machine: Resmed Autoset II
Humidifier: Resmed H4i
Mask: Mirage Ultra

Linus

Post by Linus » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:13 am

Thanks for the links. I got one and used it for the first time last night. How often do you charge the battery. Every day or can you go a few nights?
As expected, I am posting my first night using the Oximeter. I slept a long time last night because I am recovering from a sInus infection.

Gale Hawkins

Post by Gale Hawkins » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:22 am

Linus wrote:Thanks for the links. I got one and used it for the first time last night. How often do you charge the battery. Every day or can you go a few nights?
As expected, I am posting my first night using the Oximeter. I slept a long time last night because I am recovering from a sInus infection.
Those are some great results. I was trying to figure out in my case if the pulse rate chart could reflect sleep stages but have not read up on the subject.

Linus

Post by Linus » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:27 am

I may start using this on my long bike rides or when I climb mountains. I have watch that receives transmissions from a band that goes around my chest, but this Oximter measures the oxygen levels. To me CPAP is only part of the therapy.

Off topic, but please make sure you all get get some aerobic workouts too. It really helps. I find that i sleep so much better with a combo of CPAP and a good workout.

JoyD.

Post by JoyD. » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:33 am

Linus and others,

That looks like some extremely useful information. I'm wondering what you need to "wear" for this oximeter . . . ie, a little sleeve, or clip, etc on your finger? Is it bothersome having another wire to maneuver as you try to sleep?

Of course when they hooked me up in the sleep lab . . . there were zillions of wires, so it WAS bothersome

TIA, Joy

Additional Comments: CPAP Pr 14.0; EPR:3 Full; Heated Hose; 1" NexCare Low Trauma Tape; PurSleep Buckwheat Hull Pillow; Caldera Releaf Collar.
Last edited by JoyD. on Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Other Accessories & Software: Wellue O2 Ring; OSCAR; SleepHQ Pro.