FAA regs on cpap i nflight, new in 5_2009

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
elader

FAA regs on cpap i nflight, new in 5_2009

Post by elader » Mon May 11, 2009 8:27 pm

see here:

http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation ... o09006.pdf

the part at the end sucks as far as I can tell.

Discussion: Among the many different provisions in the DOT final rule for air carriers, there are important new requirements regarding accommodation of passengers with respiratory assistive devices.

DOT final rule, section 382.133 requires that air carriers conducting passenger service (on aircraft originally designed to have a passenger capacity of 19 or more seats) must permit someone with a disability, to use a ventilator, respirator, continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine, or an FAA-approved portable oxygen concentrator (POC) unless the device fails to meet applicable FAA requirements for Medical Portable Electronic Devices (M-PED) and does not display a manufacturer’s label that indicates the device meets those FAA requirements. Currently, all FAA-approved POCs meet FAA requirements for M-PEDs.

The DOT anticipated labeling on POCs and other respiratory assistive devices by May 13, 2009. Currently, very few POCs and no other respiratory devices such as ventilators, respirators, and CPAP machines display labels.

B. Other Respiratory Devices. All POC manufacturers are knowledgeable regarding aviation requirements for POCs. POCs are in common use on air carriers. All currently FAA-approved POCs meet FAA requirements for M-PEDs. However, this is not the case for other respiratory assistive devices (ventilators, respirators and CPAP machines). For other devices that have not been tested by the manufacturer to meet the emission levels in the RTCA standard, air carriers can continue to use the current guidance in AC 91.21-1. In many situations, this requires case-by-case testing of a particular device and a determination by the air carrier that the device can be operated safely on their aircraft

Trinity101

Re: FAA regs on cpap i nflight, new in 5_2009

Post by Trinity101 » Mon May 11, 2009 10:07 pm

So, does this mean that IF Respironics, etc, would make such a sticker,or whatever you want to call it, we would have to take our machines to a DME to get it affixed, or could we get it mailed out to us and apply it ourselves?? Leave it to the FAA to just complicate matters! I'm glad I don't fly unless I really have to- hoping I don't have to...
~joan

I know why you're here... I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep,.. and why night after night, you sit by your computer... It's the question that drives us... It's the question that brought you here. The Matrix,1999

Linus

Post by Linus » Mon May 11, 2009 10:21 pm

I am sure the case by case testing will involve lots of money to certify. That sticker may increase the cost of a machine. With all the government involvement, there is extra cost for little benefit. CPAP is not the FAA's core field of study. They primarily deal in air traffic control.

What I worry about is the TSA in the future will misinterpret this ruling and not let CPAP on board without a sticker, at least until someone sues.

Gale Hawkins

Post by Gale Hawkins » Mon May 11, 2009 10:46 pm

Who uses a CPAP in flight to even make this an issue of concern?

araminta

Post by araminta » Mon May 11, 2009 10:48 pm

Gale Hawkins wrote:Who uses a CPAP in flight to even make this an issue of concern?
When on a very long flight to faraway places!

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Mon May 11, 2009 10:52 pm

Gale Hawkins wrote:Who uses a CPAP in flight to even make this an issue of concern?
If the flight duration involved a sleep period, I would use my Bipap... because not using it would mean I'd arrive at my destination in severe pain.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Gale Hawkins

Post by Gale Hawkins » Mon May 11, 2009 11:43 pm

I only have problems and snore when laying down so unless they have beds the plane I would be OK without my CPAP. I am thankful my condition must be much less demanding than some of you experience or at least no one complained that I snored.

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Tue May 12, 2009 4:50 am

As just one for instance, most flights from the US to Australia leave the West Coast around midnight US-WST and are in the air for 14 hours or so.....

Cheers,

Bill

elader

Post by elader » Tue May 12, 2009 5:37 am

araminta wrote:
When on a very long flight to faraway places!
3 flights to Europe and one to japan this year. I confess I was thinking about it..

Billy6

Post by Billy6 » Tue May 12, 2009 10:49 am

>>>Who uses a CPAP in flight to even make this an issue of concern?>>>
I've never seen it, but then there are always some who need to do it for show.

roster

Post by roster » Tue May 12, 2009 11:34 am

Billy6 wrote:>>>Who uses a CPAP in flight to even make this an issue of concern?>>>
Severe OSA; many apneas > 90 seconds; blood-ox desats below 70%; 22 hours from Charlotte to Mumbai. Believe me, it will not be for show.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Tue May 12, 2009 11:55 am

How does one use a CPAP on a flight? Every 2 years i take the 11 hour overnight flight from Phoenix to London on a British Airways 747.

Is there a power source at your seat in coach class? Or do you take a battery?

Where do you even put the CPAP machine? You can't put it the verticel position and stuff it in the magazine holder.Maybe on the tray? but then you would be woken by the flight attendant during turbulence and be told to put the tray up?

elader

Post by elader » Tue May 12, 2009 6:11 pm

Billy6 wrote:>>>Who uses a CPAP in flight to even make this an issue of concern?>>>

You know, I have never felt the need on the cpap forum to call someone a f***ing idiot until now. Ah...... the moment has passed.

Dude, i take 8-14 hour overnight flights. Without cpap, I stop breathing 75 times an hour. I desat to below 85 percent hundreds of times a night, and wake soaked in sweat with a pounding headache. You are right, it's would be for show. Its cool to wear a freaking mask on a plane in front of 300 strangers.

plr66

Post by plr66 » Tue May 12, 2009 6:38 pm

elader wrote:

You know, I have never felt the need on the cpap forum to call someone a f***ing idiot until now. Ah...... the moment has passed.

Dude, i take 8-14 hour overnight flights. Without cpap, I stop breathing 75 times an hour. I desat to below 85 percent hundreds of times a night, and wake soaked in sweat with a pounding headache. You are right, it's would be for show. Its cool to wear a freaking mask on a plane in front of 300 strangers.
I'm right with you elader. Appropriate response to an ignorant post.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

elader

Post by elader » Tue May 12, 2009 6:42 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:How does one use a CPAP on a flight? Every 2 years i take the 11 hour overnight flight from Phoenix to London on a British Airways 747.

Is there a power source at your seat in coach class? Or do you take a battery?

Where do you even put the CPAP machine? You can't put it the verticel position and stuff it in the magazine holder.Maybe on the tray? but then you would be woken by the flight attendant during turbulence and be told to put the tray up?

From what i gather, some airlines require you to use a battery, others let you use the power tap. It seemed a trivial question until I started looking into it. I am not sure I am going to be a pioneer about this. I spoke to my HR department and they will let me fly business to be guaranteed a power outlet and a bigger seat on overnight flights. Still mask, hose, planes??? I have never seen anyone do this.