Respiratory complications

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ScottyBfromTN

Respiratory complications

Post by ScottyBfromTN » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:33 pm

When I use my CPAP, I am of the opinion that it forces mucas and saliva into my lungs. Am I the only one who feels that CPAP causes respiratory trouble or at least adds to it. I had never experienced plurasy or pneumonia until I was put on CPAP. At this point I have given up on using the machine, but I covt any suggestions you all may have.

elg5cats

Re: Respiratory complications

Post by elg5cats » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:42 pm

ScottyBfromTN wrote:When I use my CPAP, I am of the opinion that it forces mucas and saliva into my lungs. Am I the only one who feels that CPAP causes respiratory trouble or at least adds to it. I had never experienced plurasy or pneumonia until I was put on CPAP. At this point I have given up on using the machine, but I covt any suggestions you all may have.
Scotty from TN: Welcome.

Will you share more.............what type of machine and mask were you using? What is the pressure the machine is set at? Any possibility the illness was not related to CPAP but to the yuck bugs and illnesses going around this time of a year?

elg5cats

Only competition with a Bed of Kats for improved sleep is an xPAP approved by the Kats. In Memory: KoKo Macademia KitKat 10-20-1989--May 30. 2007....Kats are purrfect role models for sleep hygiene along with 2 snuggly Tibetan Spaniels.

dsm

Post by dsm » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:44 am

ScottyBfromTN wrote:When I use my CPAP, I am of the opinion that it forces mucas and saliva into my lungs. Am I the only one who feels that CPAP causes respiratory trouble or at least adds to it. I had never experienced plurasy or pneumonia until I was put on CPAP. At this point I have given up on using the machine, but I covt any suggestions you all may have.

ScottyB - No Way !

If that is happening it is more likely you have silent GERD.

So lets explore the details

1) Do you have GERD or silent GERD ? - if 'no' have you checked this with your Doctor ?
2) Are you at normal weight for your height *or* are you overweight (just indicate height & weight)

Answer these and we are on the way to clarifying what might be happening

Good luck - DSM

PS Cpap really works but can't cure all problems.
Last edited by dsm on Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:24 am

I have heard that it can be a factor if the person is edentulous (uses full dentures) and doesn't wear the dentures at night (shouldn't normally wear them, of course).

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:42 pm

ScottyBfromTN wrote:When I use my CPAP, I am of the opinion that it forces mucas and saliva into my lungs. ... At this point I have given up on using the machine, but I covt any suggestions you all may have.
I agree with DSM. Why you might need to cough out some mucous in the morning, the machine should not in itself cause a problem with pneumonia. In fact, most of us find that we have fewer problems with respiratory infections when we use the machine than prior to diagnosis. You should talk with a pulmonologist and possibly another doctor about GERD while using CPAP. You might need BiPAP if you have problems with GERD. But don't just give up on xPAP therapy. Complications from untreated OSA kills.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

ScottyBfromTN

Post by ScottyBfromTN » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:52 pm

I wish I had known of this site long ago. I am a 33 year old male, 6'5" and fighting hard to stay on the shy side of 300. I cannot remember the model I have but the pressure is set at 12. I had a full face mask that they gave me after my test and used it for some time. I then tried a nasal mask and liked it except that I am a mouth breather, partly related to my frequency of my sinus troubles. When things are good with the mask they are good, but when things go bad they are horrible. I am not suggesting that the machine is the cause of my problems, but that it complicates them. I wanted to use the nasal mask thinking that I could difuse some of the constant pressure by opening my mouth. My wife says she would rather hear me snore than to hear the sound of air flowing through my nasal cavity. As many of you can probably attest; when you are sick is the time you most desire restfull sleep and it is also the time when you have the hardestime breathing. So what to do?