5000 Hours On My Resmed VPAP Auto

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Slinky

5000 Hours On My Resmed VPAP Auto

Post by Slinky » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:13 pm

I was switched from my Resmed S8 Elite w/EPR to a Resmed VPAP Auto 25 Mar 08. This morning my VPAP Auto has 5000 hours of Run Time on it.

I missed one night due to an in-lab re-titration, one night due to just plain tired and ornery and too lazy to carry anything into a motel except my purse after hitting a deer on the Xway and having my car towed and 5 nights trying out a lightly used Respironics pre-M Series Bi-PAP Auto w/Bi-Flex I purchased as a backup.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

LSAT

Re: 5000 Hours On My Resmed VPAP Auto

Post by LSAT » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:39 pm

Slinky...Did you have a question or are you just giving us some facts. Sounds like 5000 hours are just right for 22 months usage....(Ave 8 hrs a night)

Gerryk

Post by Gerryk » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:24 pm

That's doing pretty good.

Did you hit the deer or did it hit you? If your car was towed it was probably the front end of the car was damaged and you hit the deer. If it was the side, then it was an attack on your by the deer.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:42 pm

Just celebrating my 5000 hour anniversary, LSat, thank you.

Its been a rough road to hoe on and off since starting CPAP in Oct 06. But I'm a stubborn ole broad and each change was an improvement so there was always hope egging me on and holding me together over the rough spots.

Recently hit another rough spot.

I've been thru about a dozen masks. Found two that I really, really like - but - too high a Leak w/the Simplicity simple nasal cushion, even w/a chin strap, and low Leak but too high an AHI w/the Zzz-Mask full face and so far haven't quite found the ideal pressure settings - probably due to my COPD worsening or to some benign nodules on my right thyroid lobe, plus maybe the narrow tube from Simplicity to CPAP hose and switching to the extra space in a full face mask w/o that narrow tube.

Patience is NOT my forte.

Actually, it was about 1 AM and dark and I hit a fresh deer carcass. Fortunately, I was able to hit it head on so while it tore up my transmission cooler line, etc. I didn't hit it w/just one front wheel 'cause for sure it would have thrown me into the car on one side or the other of me or rolled me if they'd managed to get ahead of me. Of course, the car overheated almost immediately .... No body damage to the car. And my muffler has a nice throaty purr to it now that it didn't have before. 9 hours on the road and only 3 hours from home. Wouldn't you just know it?

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Gerryk

Post by Gerryk » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:31 pm

Just for kicks, don't wash the car off for a few days. Drive it around like it is but with a bumper sticker on it that says if you don't like the way I drive get off the sidewalk.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:55 pm

Good'un, GerryK. When the weather warms up I'll try that! I'm not fond of frozen door latches!

Actually, I've been driving since I was 14 and almost all of those years in deer territory and never hit a deer. Then about 6 years ago one popped up out of a deep ditch and landed in front of me and I hit him but he was just landing from his leap and he went under the car and only damaged the plastic cowling around the fan. I dragged him far enough before I could stop that his rack was about ground to dust w/only the stubs left on his head. Altho we were able to salvage him and eat him hubby would not mount his head and rack for me. One month later, coming home from an out of town dog show about 3 AM I saw oncoming car headlights twinkle just a couple of miles from home and knew there were deer crossing the road so I slowed down. By the time I got to that area, sure enough another group of them ran across the road, so I was only doing about 25-30 mph when one last straggler came outta nowhere. It tried to jump my car and hit the roof on the drivers side, slid down the windshield, spun around on my hood, fell to the side ripping the mirror off my door and took off into the woods. At daybreak we went back and tried to track her but there was no sign at all. This one DID damage my car and I didn't get to eat it!

Then last October I hit that fresh carcass on the Xpressway. Sheesh! All those years w/never a really close call - and then the 2 a month apart and now the one last October. And I only got to eat one of the three! And only one that was a buck and hubby wouldn't mount what was left of the rack for me. *sigh*

elg5cats

Post by elg5cats » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:31 pm

"Slinky". Altho we were able to salvage him and eat him hubby would not mount his head and rack for me. At daybreak we went back and tried to track her but there was no sign at all............ This one DID damage my car and I didn't get to eat... And I only got to eat one of the three! And only one that was a buck and hubby wouldn't mount what was left of the rack for me. *sigh*

Geeze Slinky...........can't your find an easier way to hunt your deer? You give new meaning to "WILL WORK FOR FOOD"

elg5cats

Only competition with a Bed of Kats for improved sleep is an xPAP approved by the Kats. In Memory: KoKo Macademia KitKat 10-20-1989--May 30. 2007....Kats are purrfect role models for sleep hygiene along with 2 snuggly Tibetan Spaniels.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:00 pm

I don't know about "easier" - but I sure as the devil need to find a cheaper and less dangerous way to get them!!!

dsm

Post by dsm » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:43 pm

Slinky

Congrats on the 5000 hrs - that must qualify you as some sort of expert user of that machine now

Good for you

DSM

PS - saw you mentioned somewhere that Resmed have stopped selling Reslink modules ? - Hmmmmmm - I'll bet the S9 has a wireless or a GSM/3G link built in !!! .

D
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:24 pm

Slinky, you are a poster-gal for sticking with your therapy religiously! Good for you!!

Sorry 'bout your car's contact with a deer carcass.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Gerryk

Post by Gerryk » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:48 pm

Slinky wrote:Good'un, GerryK. When the weather warms up I'll try that! I'm not fond of frozen door latches!

Actually, I've been driving since I was 14 and almost all of those years in deer territory and never hit a deer. Then about 6 years ago one popped up out of a deep ditch and landed in front of me and I hit him but he was just landing from his leap and he went under the car and only damaged the plastic cowling around the fan. I dragged him far enough before I could stop that his rack was about ground to dust w/only the stubs left on his head. Altho we were able to salvage him and eat him hubby would not mount his head and rack for me. One month later, coming home from an out of town dog show about 3 AM I saw oncoming car headlights twinkle just a couple of miles from home and knew there were deer crossing the road so I slowed down. By the time I got to that area, sure enough another group of them ran across the road, so I was only doing about 25-30 mph when one last straggler came outta nowhere. It tried to jump my car and hit the roof on the drivers side, slid down the windshield, spun around on my hood, fell to the side ripping the mirror off my door and took off into the woods. At daybreak we went back and tried to track her but there was no sign at all. This one DID damage my car and I didn't get to eat it!

Then last October I hit that fresh carcass on the Xpressway. Sheesh! All those years w/never a really close call - and then the 2 a month apart and now the one last October. And I only got to eat one of the three! And only one that was a buck and hubby wouldn't mount what was left of the rack for me. *sigh*
I almost hit one Saturday morning when I left my house to go to work. I saw them and two of them ran out in front of me and I stopped. The third one stopped looked at me then at the other two and put it's head down and began eating. As soon as I started to pull away it darted out and almost got hit.

Ok so you started driving when you were 14 and you hit a deer 6 years ago so your what about 21 then?

What kind of dog shows do you go to? My sister and mom go to dog shows and have won several with their dogs. They have Game american bulldogs.

Gerry

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:25 pm

How about almost 50 years of driving before I hit my first deer?

AKC licensed dog shows w/Rough Collies.

That last deer was the carcass I hit coming home from Mayo last November, RG

dsm, I'm really interested in just what the changes are going to be w/the S9 and when they are going to be 'brought out". My local Resmed Rep has been keeping mum on the subject. I should see him next week and will ask again, of course.