Should CPAP be used when sick?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kaydacat

Should CPAP be used when sick?

Post by kaydacat » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:04 pm

Is it okay to still use CPAP when you have a really bad cold? Does it make the cold last longer, or does it effect it at all? I've been wearing my full face mask so I can breathe through my mouth (I normally just use a nasal mask), but it seems like my cold is getting worse. I don't want to sleep without CPAP, but I've got to get over this damn cold!! Any thoughts or suggestons?

sleeplessinaz

Re: Should CPAP be used when sick?

Post by sleeplessinaz » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:14 pm

Hi --I use my nasal mask when I have a cold. I am just getting over one in fact. I use the AYR GEL Nasal Saline Rinse kit before bedtime to clear out my sinuses and then gear up for the night. I would never wear a full face mask so I am not sure if that is still making you sick or not. Try clearing out the sinuses before bed with a rinse and then use your nasal mask and see how you do. Hope that helps,
Carrie

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:23 pm

I also have a bad cold. The worse cold I've had since starting xpap over 2 years ago(have only had 1 other cold since starting). I use my xpap with a ff mask when needed, but have found that my nasal pillows help keep the nasal passages clear. I do crank up my HH a bit which seems to help. I don't think that the xpap makes the cold worse or last longer, the virus has to run it's course.

Brenda

sam1234

Post by sam1234 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:52 pm

bdp522 wrote:I also have a bad cold. The worse cold I've had since starting xpap over 2 years ago(have only had 1 other cold since starting). I use my xpap with a ff mask when needed, but have found that my nasal pillows help keep the nasal passages clear. I do crank up my HH a bit which seems to help. I don't think that the xpap makes the cold worse or last longer, the virus has to run it's course.

Brenda
I too have a cold, perhaps it was even the flu. It lasted at least 8 days. I don't know how I would have survived without the APAP and humidifier. In the past, I only used the humidifier with my machine when I was sick.

Use the machine.....

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:04 pm

Some people do find that having the humidifier on a higher setting makes them feel more congested, and turn it down. I guess it depends on what works for you.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:01 pm

My colds always get worse before they get better...
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Patrick A

Post by Patrick A » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:32 am

I have been using Cpap for a couple of years. When i get a cold I find that is sometimes hard to go to sleep using the Cpap with a cold, but I feel that my life depends on that machine. So I would say that if you have a Cpap Machine and have a cold use your machine...they are really a life saver. And the Answer to your question is YES

Good luck
Don't Bend or Squash, My Aluminum Hat,it keeps them from knowing what I am thinking!
I need more Coffee&Old Bushmills!
"Without Truckdrivers America Stops!"
I'm not always wrong,but I'm not always right!
"Semper Fi"