how often should you have sleep study?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
yake

how often should you have sleep study?

Post by yake » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:28 pm

I had mine a 1-1/2 yr ago, but never really talked to a sleep dr, about my results, my family dr just said i needed cpap machine with 9air pressure, i really do feel alought better since starting . But i still struggle with mask fitting right. i am using swift lt with chin strap , i like it the best of all the mask i tried. but i am starting to feel sleepy in the day sometimes. so thought i might need another sleep study. you guys & gals are sure helpful on here , i tell people all the time about this sight [thank you all] yake.

AuntieNae

Re: how often should you have sleep study?

Post by AuntieNae » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:32 pm

yake
what CPAP machine are you using? Do you know if it is data capable? We can be of more assistance to you knowing what you have.
AuntieNae
S8 AutoSet II with H4i Humid, reader + software
M Series Auto w Aflex with HH, reader + software
IntelliPAP AutoAdjust with HH, reader + software
Mirage Liberty Full Face with Nasal Pillows and Head Gear
Pursleep, Pad A Cheeks~ :)
Started 9/12/08

yake

Post by yake » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:40 pm

i have a resmed compact s8 with humidifer 10cm

AuntieNae

Post by AuntieNae » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:47 pm

yake, I am hoping someone who knows your machine will jump in here. Some machines, not all have the ability to download data so that might be all you need to do to know how you are doing.
Started 9/12/08

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:06 pm

yake wrote:i have a resmed compact s8 with humidifer 10cm
If you were to get a data-capable machine and software to monitor your therapy......you would, in effect, be getting a sleep study every night......and should never have to go into a sleep lab again. The studies from the sleep labs are a "one-shot" night. You sleep differently in your own bed and surroundings.

The S8 Compact is not data-capable.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

yake

Post by yake » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:12 pm

i don't think my machine does have data, because i ask my DMA about this after seeing you all talk about it on this sight & she said i didn't need that on a machine. my pressure 1s 10 instead of 9 i wrote on the first post. i am new at this typing thin so please bare with me thanks to all again. yake

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:30 pm

yake wrote:i don't think my machine does have data, because i ask my DMA about this after seeing you all talk about it on this sight & she said i didn't need that on a machine. my pressure 1s 10 instead of 9 i wrote on the first post. i am new at this typing thin so please bare with me thanks to all again. yake
That's so they can keep you coming back so you and your insurance will keep paying for sleep studies and doctors' fees......forever. In other words, they're looking out after their own income, rather than your health.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

AuntieNae

Post by AuntieNae » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:43 pm

In summary, if you feel you are not doing well or still having symptoms, you could go back for another sleep study OR upgrade or may have to pay out of pocket, to get a data capable machine.

I am able to download my data each day to see how I did last night. It has made the world of difference for me because I can keep track if I am having trouble with mask leaks, snoring, etc.
Started 9/12/08

sam1234

Post by sam1234 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:58 pm

It's been 12 years since my one and only sleep study. For the past 8 months, I have not been sleeping well. I wasn't sure if my CPAP was functioning properly as I would wake not breathing.

I just received an APAP machine on 1-8-09. Slept great on the first night. Slept well last night. The LCD pressure reading was higher than that set for my CPAP (12.6 vs. 11.0)

Maybe I am way overdue for a sleep study.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:24 pm

sam1234 wrote:It's been 12 years since my one and only sleep study. For the past 8 months, I have not been sleeping well. I wasn't sure if my CPAP was functioning properly as I would wake not breathing.

I just received an APAP machine on 1-8-09. Slept great on the first night. Slept well last night. The LCD pressure reading was higher than that set for my CPAP (12.6 vs. 11.0)

Or way overdue on buying the software to track your progress so you can become poractive in your own health. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:02 pm

Sleep studies are recommended once each year, and especially after the first full year of CPAP use.

I, too, use a ResMed S8 Compact and have had a sleep study done a bit over one year, and two years. Each time, my pressure was raised several points. The first one also diagnosed my PLMD, which was being hidden by apneas and other problems with mask straps and chin straps awakening me.

That said, I have just gotten a data-capable machine and we shall see what changes are in store for me! I'm not sure what I'll do when my next sleep study is due.

All the best of rest to you,
Karen
Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:53 pm

I have had 4 PSG's in 2 yrs. The last 2 were at the VA and no charge to me. I think many labs have found that insurance will pay for PSG's for some simple BS reason and use this as a revenue source. At $3,500 to $5k a whack too.

Last I knew the prescriptions were good for life but many labs and DME's want to bill your insurance again & again.

I think the world would be much better off if these beds were made available for those who have yet to be diagnosed rather than repeatedly diagnosing a known OSA patient. Insurance should instead insist that data capable machines are used once you have been formally diagnosed.

So to answer your question - I would say once for Dx ONLY. Unless you are having problems that correcting your pressure will not solve.

Just My Meaningless Opinion (JMMO),
GumbyCT

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

sam1234

Post by sam1234 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:48 pm

Goofproof wrote:
sam1234 wrote:It's been 12 years since my one and only sleep study. For the past 8 months, I have not been sleeping well. I wasn't sure if my CPAP was functioning properly as I would wake not breathing.

Or way overdue on buying the software to track your progress so you can become poractive in your own health. Jim
Yeah, I haven't looked into the software yet. I was hopeing that I could get enough information directly from the machine.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:35 am

Sam, since it has been 12 years since your first and only in-lab sleep study it might not be that bad an idea to have another. There may be another sleep disorder that has developed in addition to your OSA.

Of course, if YOU have to pay a good portion of the sleep study cost out of pocket ..... yeah, you can self-titrate at home w/or w/o the software - but its faster and easier and much more interesting to self-titrate using the software for your CPAP and you have a great CPAP w/that AutoSet II.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

liv2kite

Post by liv2kite » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Wulfman wrote:
yake wrote:i have a resmed compact s8 with humidifer 10cm
If you were to get a data-capable machine and software to monitor your therapy......you would, in effect, be getting a sleep study every night......and should never have to go into a sleep lab again. The studies from the sleep labs are a "one-shot" night. You sleep differently in your own bed and surroundings.

The S8 Compact is not data-capable.

Den
I think your answer is partially very correct. I agree that looking at your CPAP data everyday is really good and relevant feedback on your therapy in a real world setting, your own bed. Agree that this has many features and even advantages over the sleep lab sleep study. However, at least two thing typically missing from the data one collects at home are the EEG (measures consciousness/sleep state) and the pulse-oximeter measuring O2 saturation.