Mirage II Nasal Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
B Tired

Mirage II Nasal Mask

Post by B Tired » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:27 am

Has anyone used the Mirage II Nasal Mask or the Mirage Activa LT. I am currently using a nose pillow style mask, but I am having problems with leaks because of the shape of my nose holes.

Thanks,

B Tired

Re: Mirage II Nasal Mask

Post by B Tired » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:03 pm

Can someone please help me. Even if you don't use either of these mask, if you know something about them that will help.

OmniMarconi67

Post by OmniMarconi67 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:46 pm

I use the Mirage Micro, it's not exactly the same but with mine I can solve any leak issues by simply adjusting the straps and twisting the knob so it's higher up off my lip.

B Tired

Post by B Tired » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:35 am

Did you buy it from cpap.com? Did they give you the right size, I used a nasal mask during the sleep study and it woke me up a few hours later with alot of pain on the side of my nose and upper lip.

B Tired

Post by B Tired » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:39 am

The Mirage Activa LT and Mirage Micro look very similar, what are the real differences?

sam1234

Post by sam1234 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:57 pm

B Tired wrote:Has anyone used the Mirage II Nasal Mask or the Mirage Activa LT. I am currently using a nose pillow style mask, but I am having problems with leaks because of the shape of my nose holes.

Thanks,
I have the same mask. I was "given" three different size pillows. I tried each until I found one that was fairly comfortable. After having said that, I only use this mask once in a while as it becomes uncomfortable after three nights in a row. For the most part I use the mask I have listed below. By the end of this month, I will also have a ResMed Ultra FF mask.

I want to have a variety of masks as I get pressure sores (especially under my nose) on occassion and the different masks hit at different places allowing the sore spots to heal.

SharkBait
Location: Texas -- the ugly part... El Paso? No, not quite THAT ugly...

Post by SharkBait » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:08 pm

sam1234 wrote:
B Tired wrote:Has anyone used the Mirage II Nasal Mask or the Mirage Activa LT. I am currently using a nose pillow style mask, but I am having problems with leaks because of the shape of my nose holes.

Thanks,
I have the same mask. I was "given" three different size pillows. I tried each until I found one that was fairly comfortable.
If your nares are slotted and won't round well, the size won't matter the nasal pillow style won't be for you...

Encore Pro 1.8.49; Encore Pro Analyzer 0.8.9 by James Skinner
SnuggleHose - Got the 8 foot and cut it down to 6, used the rest for mask hoses.
Memory Foam Pillow - Cut my own out of my Tempur-pedic pillow. (works great!)
Hose Mgmt - Velcro Tie Strap

alnhwrd

Post by alnhwrd » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:12 pm

I use the Ultra Mirage II Nasal mask. It has worked well for me. I know you are supposed to change the cushion more frequently, but I have been using the same one for over a year and it works just fine. I do use a rope of Mack's Silicone earplug around the cushion which gives me a great seal and lets me keep the headgear from being too tight. If you are wondering, Mack's is a soft silicone product that comes in lumps. It is marketed as a material to make form fitted earplugs, but works great to improve the seal on a cpap mask. I take a lump of Macks, split it in two and roll each half between my palms to form two ropes about 1/8 inch in diameter. Place the ropes on the cushion where it touches your face to make a rough gasket between your face and the cushion. You might need a bit more to complete the circle. Put your mask on like normal and smoosh it down on your face. My average leak rate went way down once I started using it. Hope this helps.

B Tired

Post by B Tired » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:36 am

Where can you find the Mack's Silicone earplug type stuff?

phoebe368

Post by phoebe368 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:18 pm

You can find the Mack's silicone earplugs in the earplug section of your drugstore - Walgreens, CVS whatever. I have tried both the Mirage II nasal masks and Mirage Activa. With the Activa, the shallow size is the most popular size unless you have a high, prominent nose bridge - in that case get the standard size. I am of asian descent and have a lower nasal bridge and am wider at the nostrils. I got the Mirage II nasal mask in size shallow/wide. You can go to Resmed's website and download sizing template for these two masks.