Bad Head Cold and CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
efpat

Bad Head Cold and CPAP

Post by efpat » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:42 pm

Last night I got a really bad cold. I'm alternating between a very runny and stuffed nose. I use a nose mask. I put in on last night and quickly stopped because I could not breath. I spent the day today at home mostly sleeping in my easy chair in the family room. No CPAP. Anyone have suggestions? I am taking a multisympton cold pill which helps but wears off after about 4 hours. THanks. EFPAT

sam1234

Re: Bad Head Cold and CPAP

Post by sam1234 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:56 pm

efpat wrote:Last night I got a really bad cold. I'm alternating between a very runny and stuffed nose. I use a nose mask. I put in on last night and quickly stopped because I could not breath. I spent the day today at home mostly sleeping in my easy chair in the family room. No CPAP. Anyone have suggestions? I am taking a multisympton cold pill which helps but wears off after about 4 hours. THanks. EFPAT

Not knowing anything about your equipment, I will tell you my recent experience. I have been fighting the flu for the last eight days. I make sure that my humidifier has water. I take Robitussun to help clear the head and sinuses, Advil for the headaches, and occassionally during this time in addition to APAP therapy, I take an Ambien. My machine seems to be helping to keep the nasal passages clear and my data is consistent with data prior to the flu. I couldn't even try to sleep without the machine.

I hope that you get well soon. Head colds are not much fun.

ichitumi

Re: Bad Head Cold and CPAP

Post by ichitumi » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:25 pm

Have you tried using afrin or other similar nasal sprays? Usually lasts up to 12 hours. Be careful of this stuff though ... It's somewhat addictive. I ended up needing to use more and more after a few days, that was a few years ago though.

Or you can try using some other over the counter decongestant like sudafed.

I'm gonna order me a full face mask for emergencies ... when I get colds, etc.

Good luck.