12 volt CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gatorglenn

12 volt CPAP

Post by gatorglenn » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:48 pm

Hi,

I have read several notes here and other places about camping with CPAP machines. I had planned to get a Goodnight 420G to use but it is discontinued. It seemed just about perfect for camping, small size and it would hook up without a converter to a 12 volt battery. Plus I know someone that uses one for that and he can get 3 nights sleeping using a motorcycle sized battery. It seems that this unit runs with low power draw.

Now I am trying to figure out what to buy. Size and weight is a factor as well as cost. I want to be able to hook up to a 12 volt battery without using an inverter. My pressure setting is 11.5 currently. The IntelliPAP looks like it might be a good option. Whatever I buy will not be my main unit to use at home, just for traveling.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Glenn

sam1234

Re: 12 volt CPAP

Post by sam1234 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:52 pm

You might want to read http://www.resmed.com/en-us/assets/docu ... -guide.pdf. It gives some details of xpap battery usage. Also look for user with the name of sleepygal ? At least I think that is the name. She has multiple links in some of her posts regarding equipment for camping and backup for outages.

Personally, I am going to use a 12 amp motorcycle battery (because I have an extra battery and it is not 50 lbs.) a resmed converter, and a resmed autoset II. It should get me through one night on a charge.