Discovered I can't sleep w/o cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
wasColette

Discovered I can't sleep w/o cpap

Post by wasColette » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:26 pm

Woke up at 5:00am when husband's alarm went off. Got up to use bathroom and thought, I'll just rest until 6:00 when I have to get up so didn't put mask back on. OMG! I started to dose off but right away could hear myself snoring and gasping. It felt so weird and uncomfortable not to have my mask on.

It's great on the one hand that in just a month I've gotten used to it, but at the same time, what if I really can't sleep without it? In a couple months we may be going to a weekend workshop and everyone sleeps in sleeping bags in a big room. I know I could probably get a cpap w/ batteries, but coming to terms with mask and hose in front of a bunch of strangers is a little panic inducing. Ugh. I guess I will just have to get over it and do it anyway. Double Ugh!

twocents

Re: Discovered I can't sleep w/o cpap

Post by twocents » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:30 pm

There should be outlets: try and be near one. Bring a long heavy duty extension cord as well. or get a battery pack.

I wouldn't even want to sleep w/o it.
two cents ¢¢

sam1234

Post by sam1234 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:31 pm

Either wait until the lights go off, or tell a ghost story as a way to introduce the mask.

Actually, most people are understanding if you introduce it up front. Especially if it makes their sleeping environment quieter (free of snoring).

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:24 pm

wasColette wrote:Woke up at 5:00am when husband's alarm went off. Got up to use bathroom and thought, I'll just rest until 6:00 when I have to get up so didn't put mask back on. OMG! I started to dose off but right away could hear myself snoring and gasping. It felt so weird and uncomfortable not to have my mask on.

It's great on the one hand that in just a month I've gotten used to it, but at the same time, what if I really can't sleep without it? In a couple months we may be going to a weekend workshop and everyone sleeps in sleeping bags in a big room. I know I could probably get a cpap w/ batteries, but coming to terms with mask and hose in front of a bunch of strangers is a little panic inducing. Ugh. I guess I will just have to get over it and do it anyway. Double Ugh!
I think this makes you an "Official Hosehead".

Yes, this therapy is a double-edged sword......and you're definitely not alone.

I can manage some naps in my recliner, but if I lay down in a bed......forget it.....I can't sleep without my machine.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:37 pm

What an awesome opportunity to tell people about sleep apnea. I'll bet everyone there knows someone who could benefit from a sleep study. Think about how much good you can do in one night! Have fun with it.

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:28 pm

Dear wasColette --I would rather the strangers see me in the CPAP gear than HEAR me snoring!! LOL! It is so unlady like to snore ---ha!! ha!! Have fun with it and tell them upfront --you might find some others that were afraid to bring their machine along ----

Carrie

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

kteague

Post by kteague » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:09 pm

Yeah, it's funny how once we know about our OSA there is a heightened awareness of the symptoms. Laying down without my machine is not even an option for me. Tried a few months ago to lean over propped up on the arm of the couch - big mistake. I can sit in my recliner with little problem unless I don't use my under chin prop and my head falls forward. (My recliner is a more formal style -straight backed with only a slight lean.)

About the sleepover, you can take one of two approaches. Boldly go forth, maybe even add humor by decorating it related to the theme of the workshop. Give us the theme and I bet we could give you some wild ideas! OutaSync made a good point about it being an opportunity to open a dialogue on the subject. If all that's too much too soon, since your air source is from the machine, just pull the cover over your head.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:13 pm

I am not ashamed of my mask or machine. Anyone who knows Gumby - knows he has sleep apnea. OSA is a part me - a part of who I am. But see Gumby doesn't have that kind of ego.

Think about how much better you'll look in your casket than with your mask on.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Woody3

Post by Woody3 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:24 pm

About 4 months ago I went on a trip where I shared a cabin with 3 other men I took my CPAP. Funny thing was one
fellow there snored so bad I remember waking up 3 times and hearing someone else tell him to roll over he was snoring so loud!

J Neutron

Post by J Neutron » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:15 pm

A couple of weeks ago I went for a massage. I had a very hard time laying down. I kept concentrating on breathing and couldn't allow myself to relax. Might as well not bother with a massage again.

Jim
neutron1132 (at) usa (dot) com

rejoicem56

Post by rejoicem56 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:43 pm

I have found myself to be the same way. If I am just taking a nap I put my mask on. I figure don't want to kill any more brain cells than I have too. About your sleep over I would be surprised if you are the only person with a mask. I have a retreat I go on from time to time an so many of us have the sleep apnea that we all just got together an compared masks. So just have fun with it. Blessings,Melinda

NeurosurgeryNP

Post by NeurosurgeryNP » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:16 am

Suck it up and wear the CPAP. It gives a wonderful opportunity to talk about SA. I find that the more I talk about it, the more people are curious and share similar symptoms.

If I even nap without CPAP, I wake up with a splitting headache.

I can't even imagine life without CPAP. I NEVER want to go back to feeling the way I did pre-CPAP.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. -Jimmy Buffett

Jason S.

Post by Jason S. » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:35 am

wasColette wrote:It's great on the one hand that in just a month I've gotten used to it, but at the same time, what if I really can't sleep without it?
Last night I was stuffy from a head cold and didn't use my full-face mask for the first time in a month. I fell asleep quickly, had some dreams, woke up feeling beaten with a dry mouth. Not good, but this was par-for-the-course prior to cpap.

What I am saying is "don't worry about it - just do it!" How did you manage to sleep all the years before CPAP? By adding extra focus on the prospect of sleeping without CPAP, all you are doing is added stress and anxiety and potentially sabatoging what the body naturally wants to do anyway.

Additional Comments: Max pressure set at 15cm

Bonnie corgi lover

Post by Bonnie corgi lover » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:33 pm

Take it and tell everyone about it. In my pre-CPAP days, if someone brought a machine like that to a retreat, I'd be curious about it but would probably not ask any questions until that person brought it up. I had heard of sleep apnea, but thought it was just a problem for old men. Wish I knew then what I know now - would have prevented years of suffering. Be grateful that it's the 21st century and there's an effective treatment and you were lucky enough to get a diagnosis and the equipment, etc. Pay it forward by educating them.

I bet afterwards you'll find that it wasn't a big deal, you were glad you got a good night's sleep and glad you didn't keep everyone else up snoring! Then next time, you won't even think about not taking it.