ear problems with cpap use

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tessa

ear problems with cpap use

Post by tessa » Mon May 18, 2009 11:13 am

Hi,
I am brand new here, hope you can help!
I had a sleep study and started my cpap machine around a year and a half ago. I tolerated everything well but was having right ear problems. First it was fluid in the ear, I did have a nasty virus that they thought caused it. My first tube was placed in office. I was still having drainage daily, so I went back in about 2 months of antibiotics-oral and ear drops later I still had fluid. My ENT specialized in sleep apnea and recommended surgery for a deviated septum and sinus surgery to make it easier for me to breath plus a new tube. My tube was getting plugged up now with a thick discharge. So anyway... 5 months later and alot of antibiotics still pain and plugged ear, I couldn't hear at all on my right side. So he decided to do a CAT scan and found that it had moved to my mastoid bone-NICE! Two weeks ago I had a mastoidectomy and a t-tube placed with a large diameter so it won't get plugged up. Not a fun surgery. I have tried wearing my cpap but my ear hurts when I wear it. Does anyone have any information on a better machine or mask I could try?? I use a full face mask and resporonic remstar cpap with a warm humidifier. I do have a rather high setting-16?? My mask fits but if I don't have it tight it leaks. They wear surpised a bit by the high setting- I'm a 150lb female, but they say it happens.
Any suggestions on different machines and masks??

Thank You,
Tessa

Bluebonnet_Gal

Re: ear problems with cpap use

Post by Bluebonnet_Gal » Mon May 18, 2009 11:19 am

It would help if we knew what machine you have. Click on User Control Panel above and complete your profile - particularly your equipment.

If you're on straight C-PAP, you might find auto PAP or Bi-Level to be more comfortable. That could allow some relief from the high pressure so it isn't so high all the time.

HTHs
Gail

Gail

Post by Guest » Mon May 18, 2009 12:43 pm

It is not recommended to use cpap with inner ear infections. Have you thought of trying a dental solution for osa? at least until your ear problem is solved.

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Mon May 18, 2009 10:04 pm

Bluebonnet_Gal wrote: If you're on straight C-PAP, you might find auto PAP or Bi-Level to be more comfortable. That could allow some relief from the high pressure so it isn't so high all the time.
I'll second that one. CPAP at 16 would be like breathing during a hurricane. BiPAP would be much easier to deal with, assuming your sleep doctor gives the OK.

-john-

gerrymoorerrtdotcom

Post by gerrymoorerrtdotcom » Mon May 18, 2009 10:30 pm

As you may know that the ears to connect to your nasal cavity, therefore when you put on your cpap and apply pressure that can make it painful for you to wear the cpap. I had one other client that had ear difficulty with cpap masks and we trialed the Fisher Paykel Oracle mask with him and it worked quite well. It was definetly hard to get used too, due to it being an ackward mask but it solved his problems. However, how long ago was your surgery and has your ENT recommended to wait to use the cpap? Gerry