Which Bi-pap machine i should use? - the pain continues

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Krunal

Which Bi-pap machine i should use? - the pain continues

Post by Krunal » Mon May 18, 2009 10:37 am

I have already spent quite some time on the masks and the switiching from CPAP to Auto-Pap. havestrated problems with humidifier because of increased pressure. I am going the full cycle i guess! its been 2 years using the machine on and off....its a never ending pain.

I am realy frustrated and want to get it right this time the first time. Because of increased pressures in auto-pap, doctor asked me to switch to bi-pap. Doctor suggested vpap auto-25, I have following questions:
1. Is doctors suggestion the best machie in town for bi-pap?
2. Is there anything better than bi-pap?
3. the humidifier is HC-150

Thanks
Krunal

Bluebonnet_Gal

Re: Which Bi-pap machine i should use? - the pain continues

Post by Bluebonnet_Gal » Mon May 18, 2009 11:02 am

OK - I'll jump in here. Don't know if I can help much.

I use the VPAP Auto 25 and I'm very pleased with it. It is a little tricky getting the settings where they are most comfortable for you.

What are you pressures running at on your auto? What is you Min and Max pressure?

For the best Bi-level out there, you will find different opinions depending on user preference and what brand a particular is used to using. The VPAP Auto 25 is a good one!

Gail

Gail

Krunal

Post by Krunal » Mon May 18, 2009 1:21 pm

My min and max pressures for auto are: 16-18. what should i map for bilevel?

dsm

Post by dsm » Mon May 18, 2009 3:22 pm

Krunal wrote:My min and max pressures for auto are: 16-18. what should i map for bilevel?

Krunal

Not quite that simple.

What we need is your titration #

Then depending on if it is over 10-11 CMs or below, there are a couple of ROTs (Rules of Thumb) that may help .
If over 10 CMs (say 12 CMs) then the ROT I have always applied quite successfully is add 1 for ipap setting and
subtract 2 for epap setting (thus ipap=13, epap=10). Then over time tune both if you are into experimenting.

To tune epap, look for the AI scores in your data - if 0.0 or less than 0.8, then leave epap alone & look at ipap
setting. But if AI is greater than 0.8, tune epap setting up by 0.2 CMs per night to see if you can get AI below
0.4 or therabouts.

If your HI score is greater than about 2.0, then adjust Ipap by 0.2 per night (starting with increases) to see
if you can get the HI score to drop. You can try adjusting ipap upwards first & even downwards. A lower
HI score is the measure of improvement.

But, If your titration was 10 or under then you need to be more cautious with epap. The ROT here is set
epap tto 1 under titration and ipap to 1 above (this if titration were 9, try epap=8 & ipap=10). Then as
with the above fine adjustments tune AI & HI scores as directed.

Good luck

PS IIRC the Resmed Vpap 25 will allow you to adjust in 0.2 increments - The Bipap (Respironics) Autos will do
it in either 0.5 steps or 1.0 depending on model & type (i.e. Bipap Auto with BiFlex does it in 0.5 CMs steps -
Bipap Auto SV does it in 1.0 CMs steps). Either way the process can be applied.

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)