Do nasal pillows enlarge or permanently affect nares/nostril

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GaryGarland

Do nasal pillows enlarge or permanently affect nares/nostril

Post by GaryGarland » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:53 am

Hi All,
This is bound to be my last stupid question of the day (well on this site anyway) - using the Swift LT, i know my nose is "infating" - and i'm starting to develop the callous the sleep technician mentioned i would (which is supposed to be a good thing, i suppose) - question - will using the pillows each night permanenty increase the size of my already generous honker?
i keep envisioning those PBS specials of the pygmies with 30 inch diameter "frisbees" in their earlobes - i don't want to trip on my nostrils or suck all of the air out of the room when i enter (as opposed to sucking out all the joy) - does anyone know the effects of "infating" our nostrils for some 6 to 8 hours each night?
Thanks!
--flappy nostrils

Gerald

Re: Do nasal pillows enlarge or permanently affect nares/nostril

Post by Gerald » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:59 am

After about 18-months of use, I can see no difference....but, I've always slathered on the Lansenoh Lanolin.

tuna

Post by tuna » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:15 am

About 17 +/- months and I have not noticed any difference!

HOSEHEADS of America: Striving for that long lost good nights sleep!

john_dozer

Post by john_dozer » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:19 am

In all honesty, I've been on the Liberty for a few months and I have to say, I suspect it may be having an affect.

My nostrils seem bigger, which is subjective and could be an illusion.

The area where I believe they have changed is their shape if not their size. I checked the shape to see how they would work with the Liberty. They were kidney shaped. Looking at them lately, they seem more oval than kidney.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:54 am

You bet! Two and a half years now and my nose is twice the size as it used to be ... and that's not all.

Young women are hitting on me all the time now ... they take one look at my nose then gaze down at my crotch

Just kidding

Well women do seem to smile at me more often ... or at least I'm awake/aware enough to notice now.

Oxygen, puts life back into the old bone.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

MrSandman

Post by MrSandman » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:41 am

ROTFLMAO

Dreamstalker ? That You ?
MrSandman - Send me a dream...

Hey, I wanted a cool name related to sleep...

JayC

Post by JayC » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:42 am

5 months and no change at all....

WHat is the callous you are talking about????

I have my mask fitting down, and can adjust it beautifully most of the time.....to where I have *no* upward pulling on my nose/nares....AND NO LEAKS.

I am quite confused about the "expected callous-ing"

J

WhiteBeard

Post by WhiteBeard » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:18 am

I think you've had anatomy physiology maybe you would know that it is really not possible given the amount of pressure and the material and the length of time involved. If it did enlarge your nostrils then why wouldn't using CPAP over a certain time period enlarge your throat? Now if you stretched out your nostrils with a solid object such as a wooden dowel and left it in place for a long period of time weeks or months or longer then that would definitely do it. But soft pliable nasal pillows filled out with air, for just a few hours, never gonna happen! The nose is made of hyaline cartilage which is gristle and it is very resistant to wear and tear. It ain't gone stretch out of shape very easily. And now you know the rest of the story!
ResMed VPAP Adapt SV Enhanced with HumidAire 2i, ResLink with Nonin 8000 Pulse OximeterSensor,ResScan 3.5 Software, Respironics EverFlo OPI Oxygen Concentrator 3 lpm EEP 9.0, Min PS 6.0, Max PS 16.0

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:27 am

I was going to link to one of the pictures that have been posted before, but this thread has too many.....

viewtopic/t36765/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33971

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

-wading- again

Post by -wading- again » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:47 am

I've been using the Aura/Headrest for about four years now and have, at times, had trouble getting the pillows to seat. As far as I know, my nose is still the same... my kids don't strangely stare at it or block it from the view of their friends
at first it may seem hard... but after 5 years you can't sleep without the thing :-)

OldLincoln

Post by OldLincoln » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:33 pm

Just for the heck of it, Gary, why not take a photo and save it on your computer to compare with in a few months. Since you question it now, you will probably carry that thought with you and this could resolve the concern some time in the future.
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet / F&P Simplex / DME: VA
It's going to be okay in the end; if it's not okay, it's not the end.

jmarq

Post by jmarq » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:44 pm

I have used the nasal pillows for 13 years. There has been a slight increase in the "roundness" of the nares' openings over those years. No other changes.
GaryGarland wrote:Hi All,
This is bound to be my last stupid question of the day (well on this site anyway) - using the Swift LT, i know my nose is "infating" - and i'm starting to develop the callous the sleep technician mentioned i would (which is supposed to be a good thing, i suppose) - question - will using the pillows each night permanenty increase the size of my already generous honker?
i keep envisioning those PBS specials of the pygmies with 30 inch diameter "frisbees" in their earlobes - i don't want to trip on my nostrils or suck all of the air out of the room when i enter (as opposed to sucking out all the joy) - does anyone know the effects of "infating" our nostrils for some 6 to 8 hours each night?
Thanks!
--flappy nostrils

tomjax

Post by tomjax » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:44 am

Whitebeard has logic, but not facts.
As a 11+ year user, I can attest to the fact that my Breeze pillows have definitely and noticeably increased the opening of my nares.
I have picked my nose enough during my 68 years to know of which I I talk.
The constant pressure for 8+ hours per night is enough to enlarge them.
Many others have reported the same.
Others results may differ due to amt of pressure exerted against the sides of the nares or total time used.
I have a bad habit of using my cpap while reading or watching tv from my bed.
Not good, I know, but I use it much more than the hours sleeping.
Not good, I know.

Absolutely no question IN MY CASE.

Zoot

Post by Zoot » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:52 am

Gerald wrote:After about 18-months of use, I can see no difference....but, I've always slathered on the Lansenoh Lanolin.
What is this that you speak of???
Madness take its toll, please have exact change.

JimW

Post by JimW » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:36 am

Gentle pressure over a prolonged length of time (2 hours or more) is the gold standard in remodeling tissue to reduce contractures in joints. I see no reason why it would not remodel the shape of our nares. So, if you're not currently using them, hold on to those large cushions...
Resmed S8 Vantage - integrated humidifier
Mirage Swift nasal pillow system
Autoscan 5.7 software