Therapy Slipping with headgear

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Zoot

Therapy Slipping with headgear

Post by Zoot » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:07 am

OK I guess I am getting more comfortable with the BiPap and I am rolling over and moving more. But alas the headgear is slipping and causing leaks and sometimes the mask comes off. I can feel my sleep quality slipping. I need something like an "Anti Skid" headgear padding or something.

Any Ideas?
Madness take its toll, please have exact change.

nobody

Re: Therapy Slipping with headgear

Post by nobody » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:10 am

Zoot wrote:OK I guess I am getting more comfortable with the BiPap and I am rolling over and moving more. But alas the headgear is slipping and causing leaks and sometimes the mask comes off. I can feel my sleep quality slipping. I need something like an "Anti Skid" headgear padding or something.

Any Ideas?
Good question. My headgear slides down too, so annoying and uncomfortable. Maybe I need to make a custom headgear of my own. It couldn't be too hard, could it?

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:16 am

I'm not familiar w/the Opus. I use a nasal cushion and I've found the Respironics white chin strap PN # 302175 stabilized the mask headgear wonderfully. Fitting this chin strap to any headgear is easy as pie given that it comes w/4 velcro squares that you can place anywhere necessary to fit the headgear and to secure the chin strap ends at the top of your head. I had been seriously considering buying a doo rag or two and using some velcro to place the headgear on it both to save my hair and to stabilize the mask headgear. I've found hanging the hose above my head also stabilized things, less tugging on my mask when I turned or rolled over.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

BadBreath

Post by BadBreath » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:16 pm

You might try rotating the headgear so the part that was over the top of your head is now around the lower part of the back of your head (where it can wrap under your occipital bone) and the part that was behind your head is now closer to wrapping around your forehead. Just move the hose wrap from one to the other so it holds the hose at the forehead. It requires a little distortion of the headgear (a slight bend at the angle where the straps meet) but it will be more stable.

Even better would be a custom x style headgear. Take two sets of Breeze Halo Straps. Connect all four at the back of your head with a buckle (for convenience you can use a Side Release Buckle) creating an x shape. Connect one set of straps to either side of the nosepiece and the other around your forehead with the existing mask buckle and the hose strap around the hose. I have found the x-style headgear with the forehead connection to be the most stable on my head.

You can also add stability to this mask by attaching a rigid downtube between the hose and the nose piece. I use a $2 turkey baster from Wal-Mart (#355-30) with the squeeze bulb and the narrowest three inches of the plastic tube removed. The angle piece from the mask will fit tightly into the large end of the remaining 4-1/2" tube and the hose will fit over the cut end perfectly, all without any glue.

Looks like this:

Combine the rigid downtube with the x-style headgear anchoring the tube at your forehead and you will have an extremely stable mask, with the added advantage that the straps at the nosepiece cna be relatively loose and the mask will still be stable.

Songbird

Post by Songbird » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:27 pm

I had that problem until I modified my Opus 360 using DreamStalker's plan, which was very easy to follow. I found the pictures to be particularly helpful. Here's a link to it:
viewtopic/t34386/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33 ... n+#p287656

Marsha
Resp. Pro M Series CPAP @ 12 cm, 0 C-Flex, 0 HH & Opus 360 mask (backup: Hybrid) since 8/11/08; member since 7/23/08
A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor's book. ~ Irish Proverb