Poll... curious about how many CPAP users smoke.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

How many using CPAP therapy are smokers?

I am a smoker.
13%
I do not smoke.
60%
I quit smoking after needing CPAP.
4%
I quit smoking before needing CPAP.
23%

Total votes: 364

bucko

Poll... curious about how many CPAP users smoke.

Post by bucko » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:55 am

Thought it would be interesting to see how many users are smokers. Please vote.....

tuna

Re: Poll... curious about how many CPAP users smoke.

Post by tuna » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:20 am

NON-Smoker here. I don't even let anyone smoke in my apt.

HOSEHEADS of America: Striving for that long lost good nights sleep!

Virtus Velox

Post by Virtus Velox » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:30 am

hmmm...guess I'd have to ask for a definition of "smoker". Most folks associate only cigarettes with that subject. I enjoy a good cigar a few times a day and do so now.
So, guess I'd have to check the non-smoke category due to the lack of definition of 'smoke'. But I won't, because the voluminous amounts of fine smoke that swirl around my deck, tell me that, indeed, I smoke!
Virt

dorourke

Post by dorourke » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:09 am

Should ask how many people are over weight, I was told if you lose or gain 50lbs you need to take another sleep study, and be re-diagnosed.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:20 am

dorourke wrote:Should ask how many people are over weight, I was told if you lose or gain 50lbs you need to take another sleep study, and be re-diagnosed.
Re-diagnosed to WHAT? The chances are "excellent" that it was the sleep apnea that put the weight on......and taking it off, which is a good idea, may only modify your pressure settings (not get rid of the sleep apnea)......which, with a data-capable machine like you have, a further sleep study would be unnecessary because you would be able to do that for yourself. They're only looking out after their own future income.

By the way, some people have reported needing higher pressures after losing weight.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:33 am

Yup, yup. NO FAIR discriminating against the smokers. Those who are overweight should be polled as well. Except since being overweight can be subjective based on sex, bone structure, etc. I guess we'd have to specificy overweight by ?? amount of pounds.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:35 am

I smoke cigarettes.

Yeah, I know...I know....
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:42 am

rested gal wrote:I smoke cigarettes.

They say "confession is good for the soul"......

What get's me is the people who bad-mouth people who smoke.....as they put a pinch of Copenhagen or Sloal in their lip.

Den (ain't talkin')
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:45 am

What gets me is heavy set people w/their dinner plate stacked to the roof making snide remarks about smokers a few tables away. Six of one, half dozen of the other. Kinda like the pot calling the kettle black.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Raj

Post by Raj » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:51 am

Really Slinky? Personally, I don't worry much about second-hand fat. Non-smoker here and have a pipeline to cutting-edge research on the cumulative effects of cigs that makes me grateful I never got addicted.
Resmed AutoSet S9 with H5i humidifier/Swift FX mask/ Climateline hose/ http://www.rajlessons.com/

SleepyNoMore

Post by SleepyNoMore » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:00 pm

rested gal wrote:I smoke cigarettes.

OK Laura/RestedGal,

You we're the last person I expected to smoke cigs...

Yeah, I guess i'll come out of the closet to!

I smoke cigarettes myself and have for many, many years. We Have tried quitting several times but the nicotine is so strong these days it's almost virtually impossible to quit!

We DO NOT smoke in our house anymore and haven't for the past year this month, we have 3 dogs and 7 grandchildren that visit often and 4 of then has asthma and 1 has valley fever & asthma, so we decided to stop in the house and I didn't want it getting in my cpap machine or my masks!!

The grandchildren and dogs and even us are much happier since we quit in the house, we used to smoke at the hood fan (only) in the kitchen but it would find a way to travel through the AC vents, we didn't sit in the livingroom & smoke, it's gets very cold and hot outside but we are managing it and find ourselves only smoking 1/2 a smoke at a time rather than a whole one, which is great for us!!!

So, there it is, the WHOLE TRUTH!

I have gained about 10 pounds since starting therapy however, we eat loads of ice cream & lots of buttered popcorn...

SleepyNoMore

Thank You "SNOREDOG" will live in our Hearts forever...

May you always have
Love to Share,
Health to Spare,
and Friends that Care. :)

dorourke

Post by dorourke » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:04 pm

Re-diagnosed to WHAT? The chances are "excellent" that it was the sleep apnea that put the weight on......and taking it off, which is a good idea, may only modify your pressure settings (not get rid of the sleep apnea)......which, with a data-capable machine like you have, a further sleep study would be unnecessary because you would be able to do that for yourself. They're only looking out after their own future income.

By the way, some people have reported needing higher pressures after losing weight.

Den
dorourke wrote:Should ask how many people are over weight, I was told if you lose or gain 50lbs you need to take another sleep study, and be re-diagnosed.

Den

It was one of the very few pieces of information my doctor gave me about sleep Apnea. I agree with you they are only looking out for their future income. I was starting to think this whole business was a scam until I found this site

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:09 pm

I'm a non-smoker. I loathe the smell of cigarettes and cigars, but don't mind the smell of a good pipe tobacco. Unfortunately, it doesn't like me. Put me around any kind of tobacco smoke, and my immune system crashes and I'll have a major respiratory infection within 24-36 hours.

My husband smoked a pipe when we first met. After I became violently ill after our first date, he decided he would just not smoke around me. Shortly, we were seeing each other every night, and we were married within six months. He gave up smoking because it was easier than having to go outside.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

dieselgal

Post by dieselgal » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:05 pm

I smoked for about 14 years but quit over 15 years ago. I don't allow smoking in my home or car.
I enjoyed smoking but I could tell by the way I felt it was bad for me so I bit the bullet and quit. It wasn't fun or easy but I am sure glad I did.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:09 pm

Raj wrote:Really Slinky? Personally, I don't worry much about second-hand fat. Non-smoker here and have a pipeline to cutting-edge research on the cumulative effects of cigs that makes me grateful I never got addicted.
Well, obesity takes as much of my tax dollars and medicare dollars, etc. as smoking does so ....