Humidifier ran out of water? M series pro

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Andy99

Humidifier ran out of water? M series pro

Post by Andy99 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:30 am

I went to bed last night around 11 and I slept to 7. I had the humidifier filled to the Max fill line. I had the dial set at 3 and this morning When I opened the chamber it was empty. Is it dangerous to use with no water in it??? I have an M series pro....

echo

Re: Humidifier ran out of water? M series pro

Post by echo » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:37 am

Andy, i think you answered your own question in your other thread.

If you're mouth breathing/leaking, you will use up much more water.

If you're not keen on taping your mouth shut (which is understandable, took me a month to take the plunge), then PLEASE consider a chinstrap or better yet a full face mask.

AND even if you think the mouth leaking is under control because you don't wake up from it, you can still be prtty sure it's there - many of us have no idea we're doing it and never wake up fully because of it, but in the mornings the HH has no water left, our throats and mouths are dry, and we feel pretty crappy.

For the tape, you can always try the polident strips or the cream.

Do yourself a favor and fix the mouth breathing!!!!!!!
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

Andy99

Post by Andy99 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:42 am

I guess a full face mask would help but I didnt get a choice they just gave me this one. My insurance company wont pay for a new mask for 3-6 months. I guess I could buy one myself. How do I know if this machine is doing what its supposed to do? I have a card in the back of the machine but I have no way to read it?

tuna

Post by tuna » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:14 am

Mine only last 8 hours, then I wakeup with a frozen nose! Don't help on nights when I sleep 11+ hours!

HOSEHEADS of America: Striving for that long lost good nights sleep!

mindy

Post by mindy » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:36 am

Mouth breathing may be the cause but lots of people have had problems with the capacity of the M-series humidifier. In my own experience 8 hours at a setting of 2 is about as much as I could get from it. A number of forum members seem to have solved the problem by adding the Fisher-Paykel HC150 standalone humidifier and that way have lots of water.

IMHO, having the tank run dry doesn't seem to me to be a fire hazard - more of an inconvenience.

Mindy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
--- Author unknown

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:14 am

Andy99 wrote:How do I know if this machine is doing what its supposed to do? I have a card in the back of the machine but I have no way to read it?
If you really care about your treatment get the software and card reader for your equiptment. Jim

Check P.M.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

CorgiGirl

Post by CorgiGirl » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:48 pm

How much water your humidifier uses also has something to do with the humidity where you live. We are "rainbirds" (like snowbirds only it doesn't snow much here in Western Washington but it does rain a lot! ). I use a lot more water in my humidifer when I'm in Tucson than I do in Tacoma using the same setting of 2. My husband keeps his on 3. But neither one of us runs out in either place. In WA, we have about a third to a half left and in AZ, we have about a quarter to a third. Perhaps your humidifier is malfunctioning?

Machine: Respironics M series Auto with A-Flex
Humidifier: Respironics M series Heated Humidifier
Software: Encore Viewer

Andy99

Post by Andy99 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:58 pm

I'm In NY and I heat my house with a wood burning stove. So it tends to dry the air out. It was only in the low 20's last night so I had the stove fired up to keep the house a good temperature. I run a large humidifier in the room with the stove but its still dry in the house when I have the stove going all day and night

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:03 pm

Yes, the amount of water used by the HH has several variables. Ambient temperature and humidity of where you live, the HH setting, leak rate (includes designed mask leak, mouth leaks, and seal leaks), and of course the reservoir size.

I have the HC150 and it has never gone dry on me ... almost always lasts for two nights without refill.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

mindy

Post by mindy » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:06 pm

Andy,

I wouldn't stress over the humidifier running out of water - that has happened to many others. Try a setting of "2" and if that's enough for you then you're set and if not, then an external humidifier would be needed. I live in the same part of the country you do and it does get dry in the winter!

Mindy

edited: ps I used the M-Series until recently so my experiences are based on that machine. The Sandman's humidifier can be calibrated more precisely.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
--- Author unknown

echo

Post by echo » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:07 pm

While you're all very right about the possibilities of a dry humidifier due to ambient conditions, Andy already stated several times that he is mouth breathing in this post.
Andy99 wrote:After my first full day after my first night on Cpap. IM SHOT. Im so tired right now!
Another problem I was having last night I forgot to mention before was my mouth. I normally breath through my mouth.
I cant with the cpap since air rushes out. I was doing well but after a short sleep I woke up with my jaw clenched.
and
Andy99 wrote:2nd night

I was more comfortable last night. I had to tighten my mask and I realized that I had it too lose the first night. I'm still clenching my teeth, something I have never done before cpap. I had less problems of waking up with air rushing out of my mouth.
So of course you're all right in your observations, but before Andy starts experimenting with putting additional humidifers in his room, he should fix his mouth breathing first.
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep

mindy

Post by mindy » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:19 pm

Since I and others have run out while using a FFM, I'm not convinced of the sequence of what Andy needs to do. I'm not arguing that mouth breathing may be an issue, but in some parts of the country such as where both Andy and I live, it can get rather cold and dry in the winter. Under those conditions the humidifier capacity is troublesome in any case. Since I can get by with it set on "2" (with some definite residual dryness), I can just barely make 8 hours if tank starts out full.
echo wrote:So of course you're all right in your observations, but before Andy starts experimenting with putting additional humidifers in his room, he should fix his mouth breathing first.
IMHO, it's a very personal decision what to do and in what sequence. Echo, I'm sure you have experience with this and value your opinion. Let's hope that Andy finds a solution or solutions that are right for him.

Mindy

--- Author unknown

echo

Post by echo » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:29 pm

mindy wrote:IMHO, it's a very personal decision what to do and in what sequence. Echo, I'm sure you have experience with this and value your opinion. Let's hope that Andy finds a solution or solutions that are right for him.
Mindy, of course you're right. I guess I've over-made my point on the mouth-breathing so I'll just shut up now.
To each his own, and you can lead a horse to water...

It's been an informative thread for all on humidification
PR System One APAP, 10cm

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:05 pm

Just for your information the attached is a reply from Respirionics when I wrote them and ask this exact same thing.
"Dear patient,

The CPAPS were tested at a setting of 5(the highest) and a pressure of 20cm. They lasted 7 to 8 hours. There are some things which will affect that time. The first thing is a large mask leak will cause faster air flow which uses the water faster. The second is the temperature of the room (cool to cold),and the third is the humidity ( dry) in the room. These all will shorten the time which the water will last. If the water runs out before you wake, the heater will not burn up. It does not go above 145 degrees on the heating plate. That is not high enough to do any damage. If you should wake at some time, it is quite alright to add water if you wish.

Product support"

I found that running it dry would sometimes make it smell kinda funky for a while but no real damage.

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

Andy99

Post by Andy99 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:25 pm

echo wrote:While you're all very right about the possibilities of a dry humidifier due to ambient conditions, Andy already stated several times that he is mouth breathing in this post.
Andy99 wrote:After my first full day after my first night on Cpap. IM SHOT. Im so tired right now!
Another problem I was having last night I forgot to mention before was my mouth. I normally breath through my mouth.
I cant with the cpap since air rushes out. I was doing well but after a short sleep I woke up with my jaw clenched.
and
Andy99 wrote:2nd night

I was more comfortable last night. I had to tighten my mask and I realized that I had it too lose the first night. I'm still clenching my teeth, something I have never done before cpap. I had less problems of waking up with air rushing out of my mouth.
So of course you're all right in your observations, but before Andy starts experimenting with putting additional humidifers in his room, he should fix his mouth breathing first.

I know you have made this point and I appreciate it. Im very confused. I told them at the sleep center Im a mouth breather. I went twice. When I was doing my titration I was having problems with air coming out of my mouth and waking me up. YET they still gave my a nose mask and not a full face mask. You keep telling me that I need to fix that problem and I agree with you but dont know how to go about it. The Dr sent my prescription to the med supply place. I didnt have any choice in where to go or what to get. And I got the feeling the med supply house dosnt care if the mask fits or not as long as they are getting there check from my insurance company. I cant tape my mouth shut like you have suggested. I would not be comfortable like that. I dont know what a chin strap is I dont think I got one with my mask. I am completely in the dark and Im trying to get as much information as I can. I will go back to the DR and explain my concerns but I need to get as much info as I can before I go to him to make sure I get what I need to make this work. I have had my CPAP since Friday and Im trying to figure this all out but Im not happy with the way this is going and I really dont have 200 bucks to slap down on a new mask. I dont know what to do but an appointment with my ent is going to be my next step to explain why im unhappy.