How do you have your cpap hose positioned

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
caryrae73

How do you have your cpap hose positioned

Post by caryrae73 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:19 pm

Do people just have it laying on you with no attachments or do you have some kind of product to help keep the hose off you and out of the way? I have seen different stands and one that has like a spring loaded wire system. I wonder if these types of things can help with leaks since it seems like it would help keep the hose from pushing or pulling on the mask as much when you roll since the hose isn't laying across your chest and bed.

alpha752

Re: How do you have your cpap hose positioned

Post by alpha752 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:03 pm

I just run mine up over my head, and around the edge of the pillow.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:09 pm

I use a hose buddy to manage my hose.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:12 pm

People do it a lot of different ways...whatever suits their own personal needs.
There is no right or wrong way though.
I don't use any hose management other than laying the hose around the bed pillow at the start of the night.
Once I start tossing and turning it goes everywhere I guess but only once have I woke up with a problem and that was when I tried to strangle myself with the hose. Wrapped 3 times around my neck. Never did figure out how I managed to do that.

If you want to try some of the various hose management systems..there's any number of ways it can be done from simple DIY project to more fancy store bought items.
viewtopic.php?t=10640

I tried routing the hose over my head once...my bed is an old iron bed with a lot of scroll work so just ran it through an upper scroll so it would hang down. That annoyed me for some reason...it was in my way worse that way than it was with just laying it on the mattress. So I quickly abandoned that idea and never revisited it. I am happy with what I do now ( or I guess I don't do anything) but lots of people use some sort of hose management...and if that makes them happy and sleep better then I say it's all fair game to do.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Becky913

Post by Becky913 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:36 pm

I place mine in front of my body between my breasts. I can't stand it over my head.

Islandwoman

Post by Islandwoman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:42 pm

I learned to snuggle with mine. My hose is 15mm and heated(now) but has an 8ft thin fleece cover so it is soft and warm and wrinkly. Our house temp at night is 57 so when I sleep on my side it winds up nicely against my stomach and chest and feels warm though it doesn't give off any real heat(set on 2). I sleep mostly on my side wearing a Sleepweaver Advance with the hose extension and the hose just drapes over the edge of the pillow onto the mattress and under the covers. For me It is perfect and the weight of the hose doesn't tug on my mask. Trying to sleep with a cold wet nose in a silicone mask(wisp) attached to a uncovered plastic hose did not work well. It took a while and trial and error to make me happy. I definitely suggest a hose cover for comfort with any hose that touches your body.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:27 pm

My machine's not even 1' from my head on a shelf, so I use a really short hose (2') while on (mostly) my front, tho' occasionally side, and it all works quite well, but I'm not a tosser or turner to any extent.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:46 pm

I snuggle with mine, kind of a loop that I wrap my arms around. The cleavage holds the hose in place. I use 12 ft of hose, with a 6 ft I can't sleep anywhere but the edge of the bed, with my head next to the rail (waterbed). Strange, my hubby likes his over his head & likes only 6ft.

I think it all comes down to personal choice.

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

echo

Post by echo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:31 pm

Hanging from a rope which is tied to the ceiling. I keep getting tangled up in the hose if it's laying across the bed.
Edit: ...and that wakes me up constantly. I hate travelling and not having a high enough headboard or lamp to attach to.
Last edited by echo on Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

echo

Post by echo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:33 pm

Pugsy wrote:Once I start tossing and turning it goes everywhere I guess but only once have I woke up with a problem and that was when I tried to strangle myself with the hose. Wrapped 3 times around my neck. Never did figure out how I managed to do that.
I am glad I am not your bedmate, you sound dangerous!
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

jaye8898

Post by jaye8898 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:07 pm

I also cuddle my hose now. It drapes over the headboard and then under my pillow and under the covers and also between my breasts......works great....the rain has pretty much gone away!

I never move when I'm sleeping now. Sleep on my right side (always have) and am getting shoulder pain now. Does anyone have that issue and what have you done about it?

sewsleepy

Post by sewsleepy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:05 am

I just run mine up alongside my pillow. I put a rubber band on the swivel part to stop it swiveling because I like to put it in the position I want it and not have it move.

Jaye, I also sleep mainly on one side. I do get some shoulder pain at times, I have a routine of shoulder exercise and stretching that I try to keep at and that helps a lot. Also if the mattress is too hard or has begun to sag in the middle it can put more pressure on the shoulder.
PR System One 60 Series Auto CPAP with Heated Tube Humidifier, Airfit P10 mask

djhall

Post by djhall » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:19 am

This is how mine is set up.

robysue

Post by robysue » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:30 pm

I'm another hose cuddler. My hose is always in a hose cozy and my BiPAP got christened Kaa after the snake in The Jungle Book. One reason is that the hose feels like a rather long stuffed toy snake.

The other? It's easiest to provide a link: Kaa's song

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:46 pm

While the idea of cuddling with a 10 foot snake is a little revolting to me, I share Robysue's method of cuddling the hose. Rather than a snake I have this vision of diving in deep water and the hose is my air hose and I fasten it to my waist by tucking it in my shorts.