Cats Walking Across my Machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Joe_0206

Cats Walking Across my Machine

Post by Joe_0206 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:35 pm

Off and on I have a problem with one of our cats walking across the top of my machine and pressing the buttons. It has happened when in use at night, but more frequently during the day. We'll hear it kick on and air blasting out of the hose. Luckily, if this happens when we are not at home it will detect the lack of back pressure and shut itself off.

It's not a big deal, but I wish I could keep those little paws off my machine. Other than building a box or hiding it in a nightstand drawer, do you guys have any suggestions?

Joe

--------------------
I work in medical insurance - not sales. If you have code or claim questions, maybe I can help. PM me if you like.

jaye8898

Re: Cats Walking Across my Machine

Post by jaye8898 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:09 pm

Knowing cats, they are going to do as they please if the machine is out and available. You could unplug it I guess. Otherwise, if you have a dog give her the job of guarding the CPap.......may not work .......cats tend to be the boss in cat/dog/human families!

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:40 pm

What I did with my Miss Hattie is put aluminum foil on/around the object. I had a problem with her walking on the dining room table so I just wrapped it with foil for about a week,
and now she does not go on the table. If she is on the table I don't know about it. It fixed the problem for me.

I had a neighbor we called the cat lady give me this tip. I don't know what it is with aluminum foil but cats don't like it.

Good Luck!

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

jaye8898

Post by jaye8898 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:45 pm

Bill44133 wrote:What I did with my Miss Hattie is put aluminum foil on/around the object. I had a problem with her walking on the dining room table so I just wrapped it with foil for about a week,
and now she does not go on the table. If she is on the table I don't know about it. It fixed the problem for me.

I had a neighbor we called the cat lady give me this tip. I don't know what it is with aluminum foil but cats don't like it.

Good Luck!
Wow! I had two Siamese that loved aluminum foil. They "fetched" little aluminum foil balls...but I will remember this for when I have another cat someday.

robysue

Post by robysue » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:06 pm

We simply had to ban the cat from the bedroom.

If we're not in the bedroom and AWAKE, the bedroom door is closed and Mr. T (the cat) can't get in.

Pre-CPAP he slept with us. But one morning he stepped on the On/OFF button and turned the machine off and I jumped up (as only a newbie can) alarmed that I was suddenly going to suffocate. I yelled at hubby to throw the cat out of the room. Mr T has effectively been banned from the bedroom ever since.

Yes, we miss him on the bed at night. But I really can't stand him turning the machine OFF when I'm still using it. And hubby likes the fact that Mr T can no longer wake us up by getting in our faces howling for food.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:57 am

I keep my machine in a night stand drawer, so the drawer is closed during the day. So far, the machine has been turned off during the night at least 3 times for sure (in almost 2 years). I have 2 other times where I woke up when it was off for no known reason, so those could be a kitty as well.

Overall though, not a problem.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

123.Shawn T.W.

Post by 123.Shawn T.W. » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:03 am

THE CREATION OF PETS - JOKE!

Where do pets come from?

A newly discovered chapter in the Book of Genesis has provided the answer to "Where do pets come from?"

Adam and Eve said, "Lord, when we were in the garden, you walked with us every day. Now we do not see you any more. We are lonesome here, and it is difficult for us to remember how much you love us."

And God said, "No problem! I will create a companion for you that will be with you and who will be a reflection of my love for you, so that you will love me even when you cannot see me. Regardless of how selfish or childish or unlovable you may be, this new companion will accept you as you are and will love you as I do, in spite of yourselves."

And God created a new animal to be a companion for Adam and Eve.

And it was a good animal.

And God was pleased.

And the new animal was pleased to be with Adam and Eve and he wagged his tail.

And Adam said, "Lord, I have already named all the animals in the Kingdom and I cannot think of a name for this new animal."

And God said, "No problem. Because I have created this new animal to be a reflection of my love for you, his name will be a reflection of my own name, and you will call him DOG."

And Dog lived with Adam and Eve and was a companion to them and loved them.

And they were comforted.

And God was pleased.

And Dog was content and wagged his tail.

After a while, it came to pass that an angel came to the Lord and said, "Lord, Adam and Eve have become filled with pride. They strut and preen like peacocks and they believe they are worthy of adoration. Dog has indeed taught them that they are loved, but perhaps too well."

And God said, "No problem! I will create for them a companion who will be with them and who will see them as they are... The companion will remind them of their limitations, so they will know that they are not always worthy of adoration."

And God created CAT to be a companion to Adam and Eve.

And Cat would not obey them. And when Adam and Eve gazed into Cat's eyes, they were reminded that they were not the supreme beings.

And Adam and Eve learned humility.

And they were greatly improved.

And God was pleased.

And Dog was happy.

And Cat didn't give a squat one way or the other.

From a Dog's Diary

8:00 am - Dog food! My favourite thing!

9:30 am - A car ride! My favourite thing!

9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favourite thing!

10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favourite thing!

12:00 pm - Lunch! My favourite thing!

1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favourite thing!

3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favourite thing!

5:00 pm - Milk bones! My favourite thing!

7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favourite thing!

8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favourite thing!

11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favourite thing!

From a Cat's Diary

Day 983 of my captivity. My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.

They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a 'good little hunter' I am. Fools.

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of ‘allergies'. I must learn what this means and how to use it to my advantage...

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released - and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously stupid.

The bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicating with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it were me ... well ... I don't have a Cat .... but IF my wife were to twist my arm and we somehow got one ... it would stay outside!

Keeping the bedroom door closed could work, but you have to be sure that the cat(s) are really out before you trap them inside (they are sneaky little buggers!) or take a small bowl, or cup and put it upside down over the knobs ... I won't mention some of my "training technics" ...
"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home." - Winston Churchill

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:14 am

Go to a dollar store and buy a plastic basket. Cut a hole for the hose. Put basket over the machine.

My biggest problem was the hose. He walked over the hose, slid off and held tight with his claws, or because the hose was warm, sat on it kneading the thing. One night I hears this whistle and when I looked there were all these little pin holes in my hose. I ended up with a hose just about covered with duct tape until I got new one and created a fleecy hose cozy.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:36 pm

While I like several of these suggestions, I'm with Robysue, I just banned cats from our bedroom 14 years ago when I started CPAP. At the time, I only had 4 cats, I now have 9 & they would keep us awake if all could access the bedroom at night! My babies are pretty good about playing with EVERYTHING in the rest of the house, they believe we exist to serve them & a few think everything in sight is a toy. My newest (and my last ever) rescue is 3 yrs old & believes we live to bring her toys. Even a stray cotton swab is a toy to her. I can't imagine her set lose on my CPAP machine! She would have it broken in less than a 1/2 hr.

If I ever lessen my number of cats to only 1, I may use some of the suggestions. I miss having my fur-babies sleep with me.

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:55 am

I have 3 cats who sleep on the bed. They all checked out the mask the first few nights, probably checked to see if it was killing me. And now it is just a boring thing. They do avoid the vent flow. Nobody messes with the hose. It is almost 2 years old. I have a spare, but have never opened it. I also sleep on a water bed, and I haven't had any holes in over 20 years.

I also travel to cat shows, so I sleep in hotel rooms and share with a friend and her cats. So far, shared a room with at least 5 of her cats(no more than 3 at one time) with no problems. One cat did wake me up in the middle of the night by swatting at my mask. That was rather funny as I woke up while he was preparing for a second hit.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:01 am

My cat is a Bengel and that breed typically has a big attitude and a big voice.
She would scream at me if I locked her out of the bedroom..big time. There would be zero sleep for anyone. My house is tiny and her voice carries all over the house.
Fortunately she only once has stepped on the on/off button and is not interested at all in the hose or mask. Never bothers it while I wear it or when I don't.
What she has taken a liking to is my new Regenisis buckwheat pillow and it looks like I am going to have to get one for her to sleep on...she cusses me out big time when I move her off the pillow at bedtime. There's no doubt about the cussing either..she has a temper.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

49er

Post by 49er » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:09 am

Pugsy wrote:My cat is a Bengel and that breed typically has a big attitude and a big voice.
She would scream at me if I locked her out of the bedroom..big time. There would be zero sleep for anyone. My house is tiny and her voice carries all over the house.
Fortunately she only once has stepped on the on/off button and is not interested at all in the hose or mask. Never bothers it while I wear it or when I don't.
What she has taken a liking to is my new Regenisis buckwheat pillow and it looks like I am going to have to get one for her to sleep on...she cusses me out big time when I move her off the pillow at bedtime. There's no doubt about the cussing either..she has a temper.
LOL!

There is no doubt in my mind that if I had tried to lock out the cat I had several years ago out of my bedroom, I would have heard about it also. Whether he would have bothered my pap stuff is another issue. He did seem not to like any type of noise so maybe he would have stayed out of the bedroom without a struggle.

Like the information on cats says, they are the boss of house as your Bengal is demonstrating Buying her own human pillow, what has this world come to?

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:00 am

Pugsy wrote:My cat is a Bengel and that breed typically has a big attitude and a big voice.
Mine would sit outside and let me know and put its paws under the door and shake until it opened. I doubt I could sleep through that. I also doubt the dog would survive the hissy fit in one piece.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

echo

Post by echo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:04 am

We banned our 2 cats from the bedroom once they became outside cats (the amount of stuff they'd clean off of themselves & leave on the bed became kinda scary!). They were relatively young at the time, and I can't remember if they got annoyed with it. I do miss snuggling up with them tho.. but not waking up to them sitting on my neck in the morning, which they would often do.
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

jaye8898

Post by jaye8898 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:33 am

Love this thread and hearing all about the kitties out there. I miss having a cat but am overwhelmed with my four dogs. They don't appear to like kitties as the neighbor's two tease them by dancing on the fence between our houses. They also cross the driveway multiple times to annoy my pups as they watch out the window. I don't think they would like it if I brought in a new boss!