CPAP Dental Problems?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CindyT1954

CPAP Dental Problems?

Post by CindyT1954 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:04 pm

I have only been using cpap for a few months. I felt alittle pressure on upper lip and did not think much of it. But now I have been in terrible pain for two weeks with dental problem. I need a root canal in a tooth that has a crown. I also have pain in another front tooth that has a crown. Is there any relation in my new problems with gums because of cpap. This is sudden and severe pain I think has to do with air pressure on gums. Please help. Thanks.

Snoredog

Re: CPAP Dental Problems?

Post by Snoredog » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:14 pm

I could see it moving your teeth like braces if you cinched up on the head gear too much, if it takes that much pressure to stop leaks you need to toss the mask for something better.

But if the crowns were not properly done and or any decay beneath them not completely removed before the crowns were placed, it could allow decay to progress unchecked and lead to needing a root canal.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:34 pm

Also besides Brutism, if you are using a nasal mask and mouthbreathing, that causes your mouth to dry out and that not good for dental health. since you didn't fill out your profile (In Text), we have no idea what you use or how. But mouthbreathing with nasal masks cause many problems, not in the least lost treatment. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

RestlessRoper

Post by RestlessRoper » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:04 am

I have had some problems with my teeth. I don't know if the mask affected them or not. Seemed to start when I tried a full face mask. I had to keep it pretty tight to avoid the leaks. Now I am using a small Quatro FF and it fits pretty good.

My question is what happens when you mouth breath with the full face mask?? Sometimes my mouth is so dry when wake up I can't move my tounge.
"You can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest." Captain Jack Sparrow

jrtalreadyinuse

Post by jrtalreadyinuse » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:12 am

Overtighting the lower straps on a nasal mask will cause pressure to the upper front teeth's roots. Teeth normally are crowned due to damage so pressure against them cannot be any good. I wonder how tight some people make the straps if they have to use padding to avoid cheek marks and indentations. Best to try other types of masks that won't cause pressure above the upper lip.
I found it is best to rotate masks because using the same nasal mask more than two nights in a row(one night with comfortgel) tends to make the area where the upper front teeth roots are sore from the repeated pressure/weight even if the straps are loose.

Please list the type(s) of masks you are using. Certains masks fit some facial features better than others and perhaps some of the members can suggest a better mask to try.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:55 am

Mouth breathing dries out the mouth whether it is from room air w/a nasal pillows mask or a nasal cushion mask or from pressurized air w/a full face mask. Humidified air from a passover or heated humidifier (whichever is most comfortable for you) helps to reduce or eliminate that dry mouth w/either type of mask, perhaps moreso w/the full face mask since the humidity is better circulated thru out the mouth. Artificial salivla such as Biotene can help w/this. Check w/your local pharmacist.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

CindyT1954

Post by CindyT1954 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:01 pm

I really appreciate the information and help. I am using the ResMed Elite II HumidAire 3i (heated humidifier) with a different mask now a Mirage Swift II nasal pillows system. I was diagnosed in a sleep lab with mild to moderate sleep apnea. My problem has always been I don't seem to sleep very long and never a deep sleep so I was excited to be able to get help and not be so tired all the time. But today I spent my lunch at the endodontist getting a root canal and then went back to work. I do have a lot of crowns and I have three in the front area of mouth on top. I am afraid to use the cpap after my mouth heals. I want the cpap to work for me. I did not have dry mouth and I think my mouth was always closed. I did have that swooshing of air blow out a few times. But I never thought about teeth problems. No one ever mentioned that to me and when I asked the nurse and the store where machine came from they said they never heard of it. I really appreciate any advice. Thank you!

CindyT1954

Post by CindyT1954 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:36 pm

/bump

CindyJean

Post by CindyJean » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:45 pm

I've been on cpap for three-four weeks now and I just switched to the optilife nasal cradel. Since the switch I've noticed a little tenderness in my front upper teeth. While there is some small pressure against my top lip with the new mask, it hasn't been uncomfortable. Is there a chance it could be damaging my teeth??

john_dozer

Post by john_dozer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:20 pm

CindyT1954 wrote:I have only been using cpap for a few months. I felt alittle pressure on upper lip and did not think much of it. But now I have been in terrible pain for two weeks with dental problem. I need a root canal in a tooth that has a crown. I also have pain in another front tooth that has a crown. Is there any relation in my new problems with gums because of cpap. This is sudden and severe pain I think has to do with air pressure on gums. Please help. Thanks.
CPAP gear (FFM or Nasal Mask + strap) encouraged my minor teething grinding problem to become a severe one. It was bad enough that I woke with loose teeth a few mornings.

And tooth grinding will kill your teeth. I had to get a root canal from just years of my minor grinding. After using CPAP and when it became severe, I started to get cold sensitivity at several locations in my mouth. That is a precursor to tooth problems. I finally brokedown and got a bite splint. I've had it for about 4 weeks and after the first two, the cold sensitivity was gone.

I would guess that the teeth that you've gotten crowns on probably were ones susceptible to tooth grinding. If your grinding has worsened it stands to reason they would bear the brunt if nothing was done to address the grinding.

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:50 pm

Although I use the Hybrid without a problem, I can't use the Liberty because in a very short amount of time, my upper teeth start hurting. I also have started having more cavities since starting cpap. My mouth is open a lot (although not breathing through it), and it's drying everything out, which can leave you more susceptible to cavities. My dentist agrees that this is probably the reason.

john_dozer

Post by john_dozer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:19 pm

My dentist office recommended this product for dry mouth.

http://www.biotene.com/products/obgel.aspx

Its suppose to have about 8 hours of coverage. Although I don't really need it much anymore.

I've somewhat 'adapted' to the drying out of my mouth. I run a humidifier to keep the room humidity up. That's been a big help in the winter. And, for better or worse, I salivate a lot more. It just starts running when I put the mask to my mouth.

Hoover

Post by Hoover » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:54 am

I have root canals on my front teeth and they and lower front teeth have moved such that they no longer meet. After seeing 2 dentists who had no idea what they were doing I finally saw an orthodontist who made me night guards that I snap on before sleeping and movement and tooth soreness has stopped. Apparently you can buy a product in drugstores but it is thicker and you have to boil it - didn't try that.

good luck!

Kantou

Post by Kantou » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:24 am

I have been on cpap for2 weeks and notice some pressure on my upper lip also it was quite sore the first few days but when I wake up and take the mask off it goes away after an hour or so but not sure how healthy this is for your teeth!!!!!
CindyT1954 wrote:I have only been using cpap for a few months. I felt alittle pressure on upper lip and did not think much of it. But now I have been in terrible pain for two weeks with dental problem. I need a root canal in a tooth that has a crown. I also have pain in another front tooth that has a crown. Is there any relation in my new problems with gums because of cpap. This is sudden and severe pain I think has to do with air pressure on gums. Please help. Thanks.

Twentysix

Post by Twentysix » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:22 pm

I was already wearing an upper splint before CPAP, because I tend to clench my teeth (not grind) and my jaws got too stiff and sore. I think this helps with the CPAP. I'm using nasal pillows, not a mask, and that works fine so far (about 4 weeks). My mouth did dry out a bit at first, but as someone else mentioned, it seems I'm just producing more saliva now. Biotene is a product I have good experiences with.