Dreamwear nasal cushion sizing and headgear questions?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cub4bearin

Dreamwear nasal cushion sizing and headgear questions?

Post by cub4bearin » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:41 pm

Hello everyone.

I have been on CPAP for last 7 years. Currently using Resmed Airsense 11 with LARGE size of Dreamwear headgear (the only one that fits me), and a SMALL nasal cushion.

My questions are:

1. I did use the Philips sizing chart for the cushion and it came down to SMALL - however I feel like initially the nasal opening is not large enough for me to exhale... would the sizing chart be just as a reference and I should actually go size up when I experiencing this situation of exhaling difficulties with the SMALL size cushion?

2. I am side/belly sleeper... I was always wondering how much the air flow gets constricted when I am sleeping on the side and putting pressure on one of the air tubes coming from the top.... there is definitely a pressure drop that I can feel, but does it actually impact the results at the end?

Thank you :)

zonker

Re: Dreamwear nasal cushion sizing and headgear questions?

Post by zonker » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:50 pm

cub4bearin wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:41 pm

2. I am side/belly sleeper... I was always wondering how much the air flow gets constricted when I am sleeping on the side and putting pressure on one of the air tubes coming from the top.... there is definitely a pressure drop that I can feel, but does it actually impact the results at the end?

Thank you :)
are you using sleephq or oscar to track your sleep? because that would be a good way to tell if any impact is actually happening.

otherwise, folk can only guess.

you wouldn't want THAT, right?
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

ChicagoGranny

Re: Dreamwear nasal cushion sizing and headgear questions?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:36 pm

cub4bearin wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:41 pm
I was always wondering how much the air flow gets constricted when I am sleeping on the side and putting pressure on one of the air tubes coming from the top
Philips and ResMed have both tested their tube-over-the-head masks with either side tube completely closed off. Their studies show that the prescribed pressure and designed flow are still delivered to the mask.

I'm skeptical that you actually feel a pressure drop. My mask is of the same design. When I roll from my back to my side, I don't sense a pressure change.

It's common for CPAPers to need lower pressures when sleeping on the side compared to sleeping on the back. If you are using APAP settings, your machine may sense the need for lower pressure on the side. It would then lower the pressure assuming your minimum pressure setting allows it. This would take several minutes when you roll to the side. Could this be what you are experiencing?

The other thought is about rolling so far to one side that the mask or nasal passage on that side are constricted.