Cleaning Face mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
trip68

Cleaning Face mask

Post by trip68 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:28 pm

I saw the face mask cleaning wipes on this site.
$14 bucks is not bad.....just wondering if baby wipes will work, or if anyone else found a quick, easy and available anywhere cleaning wipes.

plr66

Re: Cleaning Face mask

Post by plr66 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:38 pm

Yes. Clorox non-bleach wipes in a large canister of 70 for less than half that price at just about any grocery, pharmacy, WalMart, or Target type store. Orange fragrance (as opposed to that disinfectant smelling "citrus") is my favorite, and I've only found it at Target. I clip the wipes in thirds when I pull them out, as no more is necessary for cleaning a mask. Wet ones come in a travel pack in the sample-section of those stores, as do Clorox non-bleach wipes. I've used them for extensive traveling, for two years. Really easy for cleaning.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

Beachmeezer

Post by Beachmeezer » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:23 pm

I use the unscented mask wipes purchased from cpap.com - love them! - Kim

Physician

Post by Physician » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:12 pm

ResMed recommends using Baby Shampoo then water rinses.

spitintheocean

Post by spitintheocean » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:24 pm

To stretch out your investment, keep a ziplock baggie handy and re-use the same wipe several times before disposal by keeping it in the sealed baggie.

Life is something to do when you can't get to sleep.
Fran Lebowitz

Physician

Post by Physician » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:08 am

Beachmeezer wrote:I use the unscented mask wipes purchased from cpap.com - love them! - Kim

What are the active and inert ingredients of those wipes ? Why do you "love" them ?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:43 am

trip68 wrote:I saw the face mask cleaning wipes on this site.
$14 bucks is not bad.....just wondering if baby wipes will work, or if anyone else found a quick, easy and available anywhere cleaning wipes.
My local DME sells them for $12...Walgreens.com sells them for $9.....CVS Pharmacy has a facial wipe that sells for $4....Basically any wipe that is non-bleach,,,chemical free, will work.

Rustyolddude

Post by Rustyolddude » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:45 am

I'll probably catch heat for this but I've been doing it for well over a year daily on the same Quattro mask & seal without any problems, rashes, discoloration, hardening etc.

I have the std. foamy antibacterial soap soap dispenser, think we use Target brand. I pull the seal & forehead piece. Squirt soap in the mask and rub it around with my fingers, rinse with warm water. I take the seal & the head piece, squirt soap in my palm and scrub the seal and head piece against my palm, rinse with warm water and use a towel to dry everything & reassemble.

I don't like wipes because regardless of what the cleaning agent is, it will leave a residue. Rather not have a rash on my face. I don't know what the hoohah is about not using antibacterial soap, I've used dish detergent as well. It takes me 5 minutes to clean & dry. Longer to dry.

Another miserly suggestion is to choose your preferred soap, gentle facial soap, baby shampoo, whatever. Mix a little in some water and soak a clean wash cloth in it. Keep the wash cloth in a baggie. Wipe you mask daily as usual and at the end of the week, launder the wash cloth and repeat. Less stuff in the landfill and more money in your pocket.

trip68

Post by trip68 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:15 pm

Thanks for all the help. I got some Orange Clorox (bleach free) wipes at Target.
These will work great for during the week and I will do the water/vingar cleaning on weekends.
I have Greek oily skin and the wipes do the job.

Thanks for all the help.

xerort

Post by xerort » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:45 pm

Mild Dish soap soak, scrub mask with fingers and such.

Rinse.

White viniger/tap water soak.

Rinse throughly.

Let dry.

That's what I use, an i'ma stickin to it!

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:46 pm

I bought some of the CPAP wipes. Use them about every other night. To conserve, I stuff the wipe into the recess under the cap and seal it in. I get about 4 uses out of each one. (Could easily use it longer, but I'm not cheap enough to risk contamination more than that...)

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

maverick6587

Post by maverick6587 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:26 pm

Hi. I'm new to the cpap, just got it yesterday. Does anyone know if the nasal mask or full mask will deform or melt in hot hot water. just figured it would be easier to drop it in some hot water instead of wiping it down every night.

KokosMom

Post by KokosMom » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:33 pm

Maverick - According to the users manual for my nasal mask, it should only be washed in WARM water - not hot. The mfgr. even named a temperature range, which is lower than most people might use (I believe it was 85 degrees). They didn't say what would happen if hot, hot temps were used, but why experiment? Plus, as others have said, use a mild soap. The only part of the equipment that can stand hot, hot water is the humidifier tank; that can go in the dishwasher, if need be.

Cheers, Julie

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:44 pm

I find it useful to change up my cleaning process once in a while; just to get any stuff the usual method misses.
So, unscented baby wipes most of the time, and when I get fancy, warm water & Dawn followed by vinegar and water rinse--
last rinse with distilled water (our city water is notoriously hard--yummy to drink; bad for the tea kettle, toilet, or hot water dispenser)

RipVW

Post by RipVW » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:34 pm

maverick6587 wrote:Hi. I'm new to the cpap, just got it yesterday. Does anyone know if the nasal mask or full mask will deform or melt in hot hot water. just figured it would be easier to drop it in some hot water instead of wiping it down every night.
My Ultra Mirage FFM includes in the instructions how to disinfect the mask with boiling water. So, after getting over a cold, I just dip it in boiling water with tongs, hold in it there for about 90 seconds. And, here's the daily/weekly cleaning instructions (note, they say do not use vinegar):

Cleaning Mirage™ Masks DAILY: Wash the mask system with warm, soapy water. Do not use soaps with added scents. We recommend plain Ivory® liquid soap or baby shampoo. Rinse well and allow to air dry out of direct sunlight.

WEEKLY: Separate and hand wash the mask components and headgear in warm, soapy water. Do not use soaps with added scents. Rinse the components well and allow them to air dry out of direct sunlight.

Caution:
• Do not use solutions containing vinegar, bleach, chlorine, alcohol, aromatics, moisturizers, antibacterial agents or scented oils to clean any part of the system or air tubing. These solutions may cause damage and reduce the life of the product.
• Do not expose any part of the system or tubing to direct sunlight as it may deteriorate the product.
• If any visible deterioration of a component is apparent (cracking, tears, etc.) the component should be discarded and replaced.

Note: The headgear may be washed without being taken apart. The dye used in the headgear may run during the first wash.
Check out my chinstrap--> http://cpapchinstraps.com