Atrial Fibrillation Ablation explained on YouTube

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tonycog

Atrial Fibrillation Ablation explained on YouTube

Post by tonycog » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:54 am

Someone posted this over at the AFib forum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkpkpsKTJZQ

It explains the ablation procedure used in attempts to eliminate Atrial Fibrillation.

Tony

Dennisla

Re: Atrial Fibrillation Ablation explained on YouTube

Post by Dennisla » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:53 am

Tony,
Thank you for posting this.
I ended up in the hospital this past memorial day due to a severe AFIB attack.
They tried cardio conversion which failed. Now I take Multaq, Bystolic, Coumadin and a myriad of other drugs to treat side effects.
All this just keeps me from going back into full AFIB. But I still have small attacks from time to time.
On my last Doctor visit he told me that ablation may be an option for me. BUT
My insurance would not cover it until I had two major control medicines fail first.
Meaning that they would have to fail bad enough that I end up in the hospital two more times.
Then my insurance will pay for an ablation .
Obviously I have been apprehensive about this idea having not knowing much about it.
This video put my mind at ease a bit. But I still have the two meds fail and hospital stays on the horizon.
Dennis
tonycog wrote:Someone posted this over at the AFib forum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkpkpsKTJZQ

It explains the ablation procedure used in attempts to eliminate Atrial Fibrillation.

Tony

tonycog

Post by tonycog » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:37 am

Sorry about your trials. I went through the "you must have at least 2 meds fail first" thing. (I am on med #4) It's frustrating, to say the least. I had my ablation done 6 days ago. Time will tell how successful it was.

You might want to check out http://www.afibbers.net/forum/list.php?f=8

There is some good advice and content there that you might find helpful in combating AFib.

Best wishes,
Tony

tonycog

Post by tonycog » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:35 pm

Dennis
One other thing I was thinking about:
When you have an AFib episode, even a mild one, you should probably get in to your doctor's office and get an EKG. This will help to construct a history and proves that another AFib event occurred. I had several AFib episodes that were never "proven" by an EKG. My cardiologist told me that even if he believed me that it happened, he generally couldn't act since there was no tangible evidence to prove that events were happening more frequently. He left a standing order with his staff to give me an EKG any time I came in and asked for one, even if he wasn't in the office. The EKGs showing AFib proved that the medicine was not controlling it.

Tony

tony72

Post by tony72 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:11 pm

all who have SA will get afib?

tonycog

Post by tonycog » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:11 pm

tony72 wrote:all who have SA will get afib?
I don't think that is a given, and I don't think anyone here said that. There is, however, a possible link between the hypoxia caused by sleep apnea and A-Fib among AFib victims. My apnea was discovered after my AFib was. It was my cardiologist who recommended a sleep study since there were no other obvious causes of the AFib. Ultimately, in my case, we don't know what caused the AFib, but apnea is a leading suspect.

Tony

Dennisla

Post by Dennisla » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the advice. I wish you lots of luck with your procedure. Actually my doc knows I am not completely controlled with the meds. And we have captured it on EKG a few times. The halter monitor also shows how I go into afib and back out again. But it is minor and according to the Doc does onto require hospitalization. Taking a low dose xanax seems to take care of it.

Dennis

tonycog wrote:Dennis
One other thing I was thinking about:
When you have an AFib episode, even a mild one, you should probably get in to your doctor's office and get an EKG. This will help to construct a history and proves that another AFib event occurred. I had several AFib episodes that were never "proven" by an EKG. My cardiologist told me that even if he believed me that it happened, he generally couldn't act since there was no tangible evidence to prove that events were happening more frequently. He left a standing order with his staff to give me an EKG any time I came in and asked for one, even if he wasn't in the office. The EKGs showing AFib proved that the medicine was not controlling it.

Tony

tonycog

Post by tonycog » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:18 pm

If you can convert to NSR with a Xanax, that's great. In addition to many 1 to 3 day episodes, I also had episodes of 9, 12 and 13 days of continuous AFib. I am highly symptomatic and am unable to do much of anything during AFib. I'm hoping with the ablation I can get my life back and do what I want to without worrying about my heart.

Best wishes,
Tony