Remstar/Respironics replacement filters cost $58?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
stacia123

Remstar/Respironics replacement filters cost $58?

Post by stacia123 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:52 pm

I called my local CPAP supply co (where I also got my sleep test done) and ordered replacement filters for my Remstar M Series CPAP. Instead of getting 2 each as I thought they were packaged I got 1 of each, one thin white one and one grey foam one. They had been removed from their original packaging and put in a little baggie. Today I got the insurance notice for it. The CPAP supply store charged insurance $58 for them, $40 for one filter and $18 for the other.

Insurance wouldn't pay a cent of it, no reason given but when I call tomorrow I'll probably find out it's because the cost was outrageous. Unfortunately, I've used the filters so I can't return them and I'm probably stuck for the cost. Has anyone had similar experiences, and what did you do to deal with the situation?

Gerryk

Re: Remstar/Respironics replacement filters cost $58?

Post by Gerryk » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:18 pm

I dont know what I am billed for mine, I never paid attention. My insurance covers them. I believe I can get up to two of the white ones a month and two of the sponge ones a year. The sponge ones will last longer than that if you keep them clean. The white disposable ones need to be replaced. I don't replace them by how long they have been in, I pull them out and look at them.

Gerry

stacia123

Post by stacia123 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:32 pm

I clean my grey ones too, unfortunately I lost one of them. Since the white one was ready to be replaced, I just decided to order some new. When they arrived in a sandwich bag I just rolled my eyes and decided not to buy from the DME again, but finding out they charged $58 just stunned me.

rjjayrt

Post by rjjayrt » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:17 am

Your getting ripped. Ultra Fine Filter for M Series retails for 3.00. Insurance should cover 1.84 with co pay of .45. Pollen filter retails for 5.00. Insurance should cover 3.67 with co pay of .91. The reason you get them in a "Baggie" is because respironics only sells them in packs of two and your insurance will only reimburse for 1 a month...

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:32 am

rjjayrt wrote:Your getting ripped. Ultra Fine Filter for M Series retails for 3.00. Insurance should cover 1.84 with co pay of .45. Pollen filter retails for 5.00. Insurance should cover 3.67 with co pay of .91. The reason you get them in a "Baggie" is because respironics only sells them in packs of two and your insurance will only reimburse for 1 a month...
I've been following your posts on other threads, and I just wanted to say that I appreciate your presence on this forum. I find your perspective to be very informative, and if I used a DME, it would be one like yours. Unfortunately, I think they are few and far between.

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:32 am

rjjayrt wrote:Your getting ripped. Ultra Fine Filter for M Series retails for 3.00. Insurance should cover 1.84 with co pay of .45. Pollen filter retails for 5.00. Insurance should cover 3.67 with co pay of .91. The reason you get them in a "Baggie" is because respironics only sells them in packs of two and your insurance will only reimburse for 1 a month...

http://www.cpapauction.com/auction-list ... -foam.html

Wake up, people.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

desert rider

Post by desert rider » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:11 pm

stacia123 wrote:Insurance wouldn't pay a cent of it, no reason given but when I call tomorrow I'll probably find out it's because the cost was outrageous. Unfortunately, I've used the filters so I can't return them and I'm probably stuck for the cost.
Tell 'em to go pound sand. Ask them if they think they can explain the charge in small claims court with a straight face.

They can either keep you as a customer or peruse the charge, but not both.

"Being an optimist has its ups."

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:21 pm

desert rider wrote:Tell 'em to go pound sand.
....careful.....you're starting to sound like me.

"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:28 pm

stacia123 wrote:I called my local CPAP supply co (where I also got my sleep test done) and ordered replacement filters for my Remstar M Series CPAP. Instead of getting 2 each as I thought they were packaged I got 1 of each, one thin white one and one grey foam one. They had been removed from their original packaging and put in a little baggie. Today I got the insurance notice for it. The CPAP supply store charged insurance $58 for them, $40 for one filter and $18 for the other.
Good grief! I wonder if they left off some decimal points ($4, not $40 and $1.80, not $18)!

I have a ResMed machine, which only has one filter. My DME billed my insurance $10 for one filter, insurance allowed $3.90, and I paid 20% of the allowable (78 cents)!

~ DreamOn

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:45 pm

Also, from our host:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/m-seri ... lters.html

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... lters.html

I don't blame your insurance for not paying for them. Maybe they're trying to tell you what "carbonman" said. (quoted again below)

I'm still using the "original" foam filters in my machines (the ones that came with them), but I've never used the white (fine) ones.
carbonman wrote:Wake up, people.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

sronsen

Post by sronsen » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:54 pm

DreamOn wrote:
My DME billed my insurance $10 for one filter, insurance allowed $3.90, and I paid 20% of the allowable (78 cents)!
So what's the real cost? With all the debate about healthcare reform, why has so little been said about these nonsensical numbers? I've avoided DME's and insurance claims because a $500 (on-line) machine becomes a $2500 (from DME) machine with a $300 deductible and and a 20% patient responsibility, or $740 out of my pocket. I really doubt that the insurance company pays as much as I do on-line.

I'm exaggerating. My S8 Autoset II with humidifier can be had on-line for $640 and I got a spanking, brand new one at CPAPAuction for $230, including shipping. I was quoted three payments of $240 AFTER INSURANCE from the "preferred" DME for a basic CPAP without a humidifier.

I've purchased everything on-line for almost 10 years. Yes, the first DME was helpful in getting me to the right mask in only two tries, but that wasn't worth many hundreds of Dollars and I have needed NOTHING they provide in the intervening years. Oh, DME's have written about late night visits to replace broken equipment. Well, I keep a spare machine, mask, hose and everything I could possibly need with the money I've saved.

peppi

Post by peppi » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:01 pm

I have lots of filter material from projectors my company used to make.
This is a 1 micron filter material we got in rolls and cut to fit.
If its good enough to keep dust off of DLP chips, Im certain its good enough to put in my CPAP.
It looks the same, blue on one side and white the other and same material.
Ill be cutting up some and experimenting with my machine.
Ill let you know how it goes. We used to sell our filters for $30.00 a set but they were much larger.
You could make 10 CPAP filters with the amount we used in a projector.

This small amount of filter material, even this special , should not cost more than $3.00 but thats how they make their money!
But then again, they are still in business.

Best,
Phil

Thanks,
Phil

CpapRRT

Post by CpapRRT » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:10 pm

Have you called the DME to ask WHY in the world they charge so much? The price is insane.

Maybe there is a chance it was a simple billing error. We are all in fact human, and we do all make mistakes.
RRT/DME provider

YawnGirl

Post by YawnGirl » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:28 pm

[quote="carbonman

http://www.cpapauction.com/auction-list ... -foam.html

Wake up, people.[/quote]

I second that...or even better, "stand up", and tell them they have lost your business!

- Eleanor Roosevelt

stacia123

Post by stacia123 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:28 pm

Got hold of someone today, they said that I was supposed to get 2 of the grey disposable ones at $6/each, so the $18 charge was a typo. Since I only got 1 grey filter, I asked for the 2nd, but was told they wouldn't send me the 2nd unless they were allowed to bill a $12 "point of service" charge to my insurance to pay for mailing the filter to me. Haha no.

They insisted that the white filter was $40 because it's not reusable and therefore a lot more expensive. I said "I have the Internet, you know. I can get a pack of 2 of these for $8.50 or less." She then got really nervous and said she was just doing what she was told by her boss.

Like I said, I only ordered through them because I never get equipment there, I buy online out of pocket, but I figured I should buy something once per year so they still considered me an active client. Forget that, I won't be buying from them again.