Dental work---anybody with experience that hurts afterward?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lovey

Dental work---anybody with experience that hurts afterward?

Post by lovey » Sat May 20, 2006 8:41 pm

My dentist is totally clueless on CPAP. I had to explain how the CPAP works. He "decided" by my description of the machine that it caused my new crown (5 months old) to break off the root from the pressure (I don't think so!). He wants to either redo the crown or extract the tooth on Friday. I think CPAP has nothing to do with it...I think he just made a weak crown.

My question is that after dental work, does CPAP hurt to use? Does anybody have experiences they can tell me about? Right now, the CPAP does aggravate the tooth pain from the broken crown, so I'm worried about severe pain after the dental work. I don't want to have to not use my CPAP afterwards, because I have severe apnea--82 ahi. My pressure is set at 10.

Also, any experiences on whether CPAP helps or hinders dental health?

Thanks so much, Lovey

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sat May 20, 2006 9:10 pm

Lovey,

Hasn't bothered me. I would think that after the dental work is done, the pain should subside and CPAP use should be as "normal".

Best wishes,

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Sleepy Dog Lover

Post by Sleepy Dog Lover » Sat May 20, 2006 10:16 pm

Since you wear a full face mask, it might if you have to get the tooth pulled. I think you have to be careful not to let your mouth dry out. I have to get a tooth pulled and a wisdom tooth out soon, I'm hoping that my nasal pillows won't interfere. Let us know how it goes.

woozle

Post by woozle » Sat May 20, 2006 10:38 pm

Was wondering what tooth you had the crown on, as wondering if your teeth push on it or like me, was using the chin strap and I have a bridge on my front tooth and I was pushing my bottom teeth forward on my front tooth. I am using the polident strips now
anyway, I also have a dental prob as I was supposed to get an implant on the front tooth last wk, but put it off until I get used to the machine - my fear is that swift nasal will push on my top gums where the implant will be - No one is able to answer me, dr or dentist, as to whether it will actually be a problem or not - I want to get this down a little better before I do the implant - was thinking trying a full face mask but then the drying out issue is supposed to be really bad for gums/dental work - also, wondering if it's safe to take pain killers (which knock me out) with the cpap with my mouth shut with the polident strips. At least I am more awake to figure these problems out now!

lovey

Post by lovey » Sat May 20, 2006 11:18 pm

The crown is the on the right side, the first molar behind the incisors. I do have a theory that maybe I've slept on the mask edge and it pushed in enough to cause the break. But I have arthritis in my right shoulder, so I sleep on the left, and the crown is on the right, so it seems unlikely. I have another new crown done on the right (farther back) at the same time (last Christmas) and it seems uneffected. Plus I have a couple of old crowns from 10-15 years ago...it seems they should break before a new one.

I read some respiratory therapist articles, and it says that dentists don't receive any training in sleep medicine, so most dentists are clueless. And doctors don't receive training on the effects of dental work with sleep apnea as that's for the dentist to know!

I'm thinking of asking my doctor to call my dentist to discuss this. When this dentist put in the two crowns last Christmas, he left out of the country without an emergency number in place. I was in such pain, I was in the ER on Christmas morning. My doctor had to also prescribe pain meds until the dentist returned. I still haven't forgiven the dentist...and it's another holiday weekend this week--I'm sure my doctor doesn't want to end up again being the one dealing with my pain. Maybe my good doctor can light a fire under the dentist to learn about how sleep apnea/cpap affects dentistry...instead of having to deal with the holier than thou dentist who knows "everything"...ha, ha...

Thanks for your advice! Lovey (Laurie)

woozle

Post by woozle » Sun May 21, 2006 11:28 am

Wow, I sure do hope you have better luck with pain and your dentist this time around! I think I am going to try to get my doctor and dentist on the same page as well, and will report back with any info!

lovey

Post by lovey » Sun May 21, 2006 6:37 pm

I ended up writing a letter to both the doctor and the dentist and faxing it to them today. I want them to develop a plan for my pain management/use of the cpap before the work is done. I need to have my pain managed to the point that I can wear the CPAP...but also not knocked out of commission either. And not to the point where my breathing is affected by the pain killers when I already have disordered breathing!
I'll report back on what happens...Lovey

lovey

Post by lovey » Thu May 25, 2006 7:39 pm

Aagghh...my dentist never called back despite two messages. Neither did the doctor. So I have to go in there tomorrow ticked at the dentist, with no pain management or the dentist having a clue about the sleep apnea effects. Can't wait to get rid of this holier than thou dentist.. Lovey

bbop849

Post by bbop849 » Thu May 25, 2006 8:27 pm

I have an upper denture. Smart me, when my dentist sugggested I consider having something new installed -- 3 posts on each side of the top unto which the denture would clip into place. No more sloppy denture. Thought it was a godsend even though it was expensive to me and I had to tap my limited savings. I mentioned at the consultation appointment that I had sleep apnea and used a cpap machine at night.

Making a long story as short as possible, after 6 months I couldn't get the denture to pop onto the posts anymore. Went to dentist --- SURPRISE! Huge infection! He didn't know what to say (or do?). I ended up having all 6 posts removed, was on antibiotics for almost a month. He remade my denture the old-fashioned way and I'm back at square one (except poorer by $4800 - yike!).

He couldn't figure out what to make of it. My opinion is that pressure all night from my mask caused a problem that turned into an infection.

anybody else have anything like me?

bbop849

Sleepy Dog Lover

Post by Sleepy Dog Lover » Thu May 25, 2006 9:22 pm

I'll let you know what happens. I'm getting 2 teeth pulled tomorrow, the 2nd molar and a wisdom tooth. It will be implants after that.

limner

Do the research before you doubt

Post by limner » Thu May 25, 2006 11:05 pm

Hi,

I've used a sleep mask for the last month and already have dental trouble. My respiratory therapist informed me that the mask can cause dental problems. Please talk with your rt about dental issues.

My old mask sat right on top of my upper lip and caused pressure on my gums. I'm glad I mentioned the problem, or I'd have ended up with a major dental bill.

I'm now using the Respironics Comfort Lite 2. No more blisters on my nose and no more gum problems!

Hope you'll ask.

limner