Cleaning Face mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LinkC

Re: Cleaning Face mask

Post by LinkC » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:48 pm

It should go without saying, but boiling is NOT a good idea for any of the "custom fit" (i.e. ComfortGel-type) masks.

I would read the instructions very carefully before subjecting ANY mask to that temp unless it clearly calls it out. And remember, there's a significant difference between "boiling" and "boiled" water.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

BrownEyes

Post by BrownEyes » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:42 pm

i soak my mask, humidifier, other equipment in White Vinegar and Liquid Dial AntiBacterial Soap and lukewarm water
Dont Worry About My Machine, My Equipment, And What I Use, Just Know That I Have Obstructive Sleep Apnea, And I Have CPap Equipment, And Thats All You Need To Know, Now Call Me On This

RipVW

Post by RipVW » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:15 am

LinkC wrote:It should go without saying, but boiling is NOT a good idea for any of the "custom fit" (i.e. ComfortGel-type) masks.

I would read the instructions very carefully before subjecting ANY mask to that temp unless it clearly calls it out. And remember, there's a significant difference between "boiling" and "boiled" water.
Here are links to ResMed's sterilization instructions. As you'll see, hot water is one method (not quite boiling, though).
http://www.myresmed.com/Shared/StaticFi ... sh-row.pdf

http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/documen ... ow_eng.pdf

Check out my chinstrap--> http://cpapchinstraps.com

wordgirl57

Post by wordgirl57 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:34 pm

Six days a week, my husband and I each use a Citrus II CPAP wipe to wipe our pillows inside and out, then use the other side of the wipe to give the rest of the mask a quick cleaning. On either Saturday or Sunday each week, we wash the pillows, mask parts, tube, strap covers, etc. in warm water with Ivory dish soap and let them air dry during the day. At not quite the six-month mark, it's worked well for us. We don't find there's a residue from the wipes (and if there was, I'd find it, believe me--my skin is allergic to everything).

I ordered a case of the wipes from BalegoOnline.com and we found the price well worth it, but I know it might not be cost-effective for single-CPAP households. For us, convenience plays into it, too. I have to get up so early in the morning for a long drive to work that I just don't have the time to take the mask apart and wash it every day. I'm already cleaning the humidifier each morning, and that's enough, thanks.

stacia123

Post by stacia123 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:51 am

plr66 wrote:Yes. Clorox non-bleach wipes in a large canister of 70 for less than half that price at just about any grocery, pharmacy, WalMart, or Target type store.
I second this. I have Flexifit 431 seals and I use whatever brand I can find, but prefer Clorox. Make sure you rinse well with cool water and let them dry. If they're not rinsed well you might get a little skin irritation. Previously, I used warm water and mild liquid hand soap, but I found they wore out the seals more quickly than the Clorox cloths do.

For the mask itself, I swish it in lukewarm sudsy water about once a week along with the humidifier tank from my CPAP, then a rinse in lukewarm water and let it air dry. I wouldn't have to do the tank at all, except I didn't use distilled water for a while and got some pink something-or-other growing that I can't get completely out. After a thorough cleaning when I first found the pink stuff, a quick wash once a week keeps it at bay.

wordgirl57

Post by wordgirl57 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:21 am

I found that pink stuff growing in my humidifier too, stacia! A couple of weeks ago we went to Florida on a vacation and all I had with me was bottled (not distilled) water. On the fourth morning, I found this slimy pink stuff that we figured was mold on the bottom of my humidifier tub. My husband pulled apart the tub for me and I cleaned it out, but couldn't bring myself to use the humidifier the rest of the trip. My husband had no problem with his humidifier, though, even though he used the same water. When I got home, I ordered us the kind of tub that snaps apart for easier cleaning.

TheDuke

Post by TheDuke » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:10 pm

My personal take on mask cleaning is to use plain paper toweling wet with plain liquid detergent and warm water. I follow with a good rinse and dry with more paper towel. This is very cheap and is quite effective. I do not care for vinegar (except as a food condiment) and it really isn't very effective in removing oils and greases, and it is not a sterilizing agent.

TheDuke