Does anyone check their CPAP when flying?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
soundersfootballclub

Does anyone check their CPAP when flying?

Post by soundersfootballclub » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:13 pm

I check my laptop in checked luggage sometimes and have never had an issue. I understand why I shouldn't check CPAP in my luggage but I am wondering if anyone here does it anyway? Or at least the power cord?

BlackSpinner

Re: Does anyone check their CPAP when flying?

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:22 pm

soundersfootballclub wrote:I check my laptop in checked luggage sometimes and have never had an issue. I understand why I shouldn't check CPAP in my luggage but I am wondering if anyone here does it anyway? Or at least the power cord?

And just what are going to do with a cpap without a power cord (which may have ended up on the other side of the country)?

You cannot count on your luggage to arrive where you are at the same time. Only by having it in your clutching hand can you be sure it will get there with you in one piece.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

pap4life

Post by pap4life » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:24 pm

No CPAP in checked luggage for me. Baggage smashers are good at ruining equipment like that, besides the checked luggage may not get off at the same destination as you. If you know why you shouldn't place CPAP in checked luggage, why care if someone else does? Why check the power cord differently from the CPAP? I guess I don;t understand your questions.

soundersfootballclub

Post by soundersfootballclub » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:49 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
soundersfootballclub wrote:I check my laptop in checked luggage sometimes and have never had an issue. I understand why I shouldn't check CPAP in my luggage but I am wondering if anyone here does it anyway? Or at least the power cord?

And just what are going to do with a cpap without a power cord (which may have ended up on the other side of the country)?

You cannot count on your luggage to arrive where you are at the same time. Only by having it in your clutching hand can you be sure it will get there with you in one piece.
Can't say that's ever happened to me and I have done ALOT of plane travel over the years.

soundersfootballclub

Post by soundersfootballclub » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:51 pm

pap4life wrote:No CPAP in checked luggage for me. Baggage smashers are good at ruining equipment like that, besides the checked luggage may not get off at the same destination as you. If you know why you shouldn't place CPAP in checked luggage, why care if someone else does? Why check the power cord differently from the CPAP? I guess I don;t understand your questions.
I have back issues as it is when I travel and the power cord is the only heavy aspect of the CPAP kit. I already have laptop bag and now I will have another bag of gear so just trying to limit further pain and agony.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:17 pm

soundersfootballclub wrote:
pap4life wrote:No CPAP in checked luggage for me. Baggage smashers are good at ruining equipment like that, besides the checked luggage may not get off at the same destination as you. If you know why you shouldn't place CPAP in checked luggage, why care if someone else does? Why check the power cord differently from the CPAP? I guess I don;t understand your questions.
I have back issues as it is when I travel and the power cord is the only heavy aspect of the CPAP kit. I already have laptop bag and now I will have another bag of gear so just trying to limit further pain and agony.
You already said in your first post that you check your laptop sometimes with no issues....if you can't handle both as carry ons....check your laptop.....Problem Solved.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:32 pm

soundersfootballclub wrote: Can't say that's ever happened to me and I have done ALOT of plane travel over the years.
So you are due then.

Tip one of the airport skycaps then but if it were me I would not check any part of my bedroom accessories
Tho you certainly may.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:35 pm

soundersfootballclub wrote:
BlackSpinner wrote: And just what are going to do with a cpap without a power cord (which may have ended up on the other side of the country)?

Can't say that's ever happened to me and I have done ALOT of plane travel over the years.
Well so have I and about a 1/4 of the time my luggage hasn't been there when I get where I am going.
Flying on business once from Montreal to Toronto our very important disk packs ended up in LA (this was the old days when disk packs traveled in their own very large suitcases) this ruined our carefully timed implementation schedule. My luggage has been more places then I have ever been.

Plus when bad weather strikes? Your luggage is "elsewhere", maybe on a plane maybe not and you are sleeping rough sharing a room with strangers?

Your medications, your cpap and a change of underwear need to be in your hands at all times.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:49 pm

BlackSpinner wrote: Your medications, your cpap and a change of underwear need to be in your hands at all times.
AND your toothbrush

Ask your airline for help. That's why they have those golf carts going around the airport.

There is an old Indian saying that says "Live and Learn".

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Mike6977

Post by Mike6977 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:50 pm

soundersfootballclub wrote:Can't say that's ever happened to me and I have done ALOT of plane travel over the years.
(Sigh) .So young, so innocent.

Buy expensive looking luggage, and fly in and out of either Newark or LaGuardia a few times. BTW, are you familiar with this iconic TV ad, the one with the ape and the American Tourister luggage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ZeIoLz8FE

You'll notice that they didn't use Newark or LaGuardia baggage handlers.

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:54 pm

The potential if you check your unit and you both arrive in different locations or times could be terrible. Imagine having to sleep 1 to 3 night with out
your unit. I would carry it.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

howkim

Post by howkim » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:55 pm

soundersfootballclub wrote: Can't say that's ever happened to me and I have done ALOT of plane travel over the years.
I've not had much of this kind of problem either - until this year. I, too, have done A LOT of plane travel over the years.

I am not a mushroom.

DaveLP

Post by DaveLP » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:06 pm

My cpap goes in my suitcase because my laptop stays with me. No way will I check a laptop unless I have to.

The best way to ensure that your luggage gets off where you do is to insist on non-stops where possible. Some of those will continue on and there's a chance your luggage will too. My suitcase went to Alaska once when I got off at Washington National, but they drove it out to me the next morning.

I miss the days when I had no idea what a CPAP was and still slept well!

justbreathe

Post by justbreathe » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:05 pm

I am traveling this week and my CPAP went with me carry on. I would check my laptop first as it does not cost near as much as my CPAP. But since I don't have to pick between the two I carry both on the plane. The CPAP power cord and all is not that heavy any way.

No luggage handler is getting it's grubby hands on my CPAP.

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:14 pm

My brother went on 3 wk asia vacation and packed his cpap in luggage. I thought it was crazy but he was lucky and nothing negative. I ALWAYS carry on....