Does anyone check their CPAP when flying?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bookbear

Re: Does anyone check their CPAP when flying?

Post by Bookbear » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:51 pm

"Said I ought to check my CPAP
I said no, No, NO!"

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:58 pm

I will be flying again on the 16th back to Edmonton.
The cpap, laptop and accessories, medications, change of undies, and knitting will be in my back pack, purse will be around my waist. The rest is check in. There seems to be a black hole around Edmonton, my luggage often shows up the next day.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Alshain

Post by Alshain » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:15 pm

Nope, never check my CPAP. There is no reason adequate enough to compel me to do such a thing. The only laptop I have belongs to my company, I guarantee you the company laptop goes under the plane before my CPAP does.

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31 (KJV)

cowlypso

Post by cowlypso » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:33 pm

I'd gone many, many years without having any luggage problems at all. Never a lost bag, never a delay. Then, in one trip, I completely made up for it.

Our flight was scheduled to land in Costa Rica Saturday evening. Due to weather, we ended up not making it until Sunday morning. Our luggage did not show up until Thursday afternoon. There we were with the clothes on our backs and whatever we had in our carry-ons, in the middle of a foreign country on a mission trip. For 5 days, I washed my one and only pair of underwear and socks in the sink each night and put them on again in the morning. I scavenged a t-shirt and a pair of shorts from the team house where we were staying, and made do with those and the clothes I wore on the plane. It all turned out okay, since I had all my medications (and my camera!) in my carry-on bag (I was not using CPAP then), so I had everything I really needed and was able to borrow the rest. On the return trip, they lost my bags again, and I didn't get them back for 2 days.

I've never had a problem with luggage since then, but absolutely no way, no how would I ever check my CPAP (or my laptop). I also always include a full change of clothes (and double change of underwear) and toiletries in my carry-on. I'm not getting stuck like that again. Especially traveling outside of the U.S., where passengers' rights and airline customer service are not quite the same, and it's a lot harder to buy what you might need.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:15 pm

No way would I check my ASV when it costs about $1,500. Plus, I do NOT sleep without it. It stays with me.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

cherylann

Post by cherylann » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:53 pm

I'm used to be a raod warrior and in all my years of traveling, I have only had one bag go astray....and I got it back. I've been lucky.

I;ve only traveled once since starting with the CPAP and I wrapped it in a towel and checked it. I understand from the airlines that medical equipment doesn't count as one of your two carry ons, but I really do not want to lug a laptop, CPAP, and tote bag onboard. Not to mention the humiliation of having to take it out of the bag to be inspected.

Tip10

Post by Tip10 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:49 am

I have a separate travel machine so it may make a difference.
I always carry outbound and check inbound (padded bag gets wrapped in clothes in middle of my suitcase).
Most all of my travels are between my home city and one other and are almost always done on non-stops.
Only risk I really have is inbound if we were to be diverted due to weather and end up spending the night somewhere along the way. In all of my well over a thousand trips I've had that happen once.

I don't suffer from Insanity -- I rather enjoy it!!

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:07 am

Tip10 wrote:I have a separate travel machine so it may make a difference.
I always carry outbound and check inbound (padded bag gets wrapped in clothes in middle of my suitcase).
Most all of my travels are between my home city and one other and are almost always done on non-stops.
Only risk I really have is inbound if we were to be diverted due to weather and end up spending the night somewhere along the way. In all of my well over a thousand trips I've had that happen once.
I also have a spare machine for travel. So yea inbound to home is a bit safer most of the times but like you said could run into unexpected troubles.

Anyone who travels much should get themselves a spare machine. To me it makes things so much packing easier, less likely to forget things and also including when you get home and don't have to set things up again, you can get some, sleep.

IF you don't have a spare machine BUT check the ONLY machine you have to the airlines, I'd say to buy extra insurance AND a lottery ticket too if you think you will be that lucky on that day.

But hey that is JMMO - Just My Meaningless Opinion.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:23 am

JohnBFisher wrote:No way would I check my ASV when it costs about $1,500. Plus, I do NOT sleep without it. It stays with me.
Yes and that is another point. If they lose your bags does your home insurance cover it because there is a very low dollar amount that the airlines give you. And how long will it take to replace it? You may want to read this - and listen to the song

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-bl ... outu-4850/
By the way: In the U.S. Department of Transportation’s tally of lost, damaged, delayed or pilfered baggage in April 2009, United ranked 10th among 19 carriers, with 13,517 “baggage reports” among 4.03 million passengers.
http://www.davecarrollmusic.com/ubg/story/

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

FoxNewsFan

Post by FoxNewsFan » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:14 am

I am a world renowned expert in lost luggage.

I added 3 more countries this year to bring my total to 75.

A few suggestions- one Gumby already mentioned, "Ask your airline for help. That's why they have those golf carts going around the airport." Those carts will take you right from check-in to departure gate and save your back BUUUTTTT you have to get to the airport early. They are in demand. Two years ago I flew from Ft.Lauderdale to JFK on April 1 and there were 13 wheelchairs lined up in the jetway when we got off.

I bought the mini-laptop below for around $300 for all my trips. It's so small and light that you will soon find that you take it everywhere. This will also save your back.

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/1023832 ... eviews.htm

Many people, including myself, will gladly help someone lift up their carry-on into the overhead bin. Don't be afraid to ask.

If you have a choice of airlines, Google which ones loose the most luggage. Try to avoid these and also try to avoid airlines that charge for checked bags, such as American, because many travelers try to save money by carrying more items into the cabin and by the time you get on ALL the overhead bins are full. If you are flying one of these airlines, choose a seat near the rear so you will board first and there will be room in the overheads. First class usually has several closets. One on the right just as you enter the plane and one just before you go through the curtain to coach. As I enter I try to see if the attendants are distracted and stick a carry-on in one of these on my way back to coach.

Ed
ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset APAP
ResMed Mirage Quattro FFM
Backup ResMed S9

cherylann

Post by cherylann » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:11 am

I would think that insurance wouldn't pay for an extra machine for traveling.

I don't even know how much the one I have is costing me. I've gotten 3 different answers from my provider. All I know is that I paid them around $200 and am supposed to pay $30 a month rental until the insurance company decides that I am serious about using it. After that time I guess I will get an EOB and figure out the numbers.

The nice thing about mine is that it is small and the humidifier detaches so I could just take the one piece.

rdfry

Post by rdfry » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:11 am

Never would I check my cpap or my laptop. Cpap = life.
Mask: bleep and F30i
Machine: Resmed S10 Autoset

victormiller

Post by victormiller » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:46 am

soundersfootballclub wrote:
pap4life wrote:No CPAP in checked luggage for me. Baggage smashers are good at ruining equipment like that, besides the checked luggage may not get off at the same destination as you. If you know why you shouldn't place CPAP in checked luggage, why care if someone else does? Why check the power cord differently from the CPAP? I guess I don;t understand your questions.
I have back issues as it is when I travel and the power cord is the only heavy aspect of the CPAP kit. I already have laptop bag and now I will have another bag of gear so just trying to limit further pain and agony.
You're lucky. This has happened to me 3 times -- the most recent in June. United Airlines made me check my carryon (not my APAP) since they said that overhead space was tight. It never arrived at my destination. I finally got it after 36 hours. It had all my changes of clothes and underwear in it, so I had to make do with wearing yesterday's . At least I had my PAP with me.

FoxNewsFan

Post by FoxNewsFan » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:45 pm

victormiller wrote:You're lucky. This has happened to me 3 times -- the most recent in June. United Airlines made me check my carryon (not my APAP) since they said that overhead space was tight. It never arrived at my destination. I finally got it after 36 hours. It had all my changes of clothes and underwear in it, so I had to make do with wearing yesterday's . At least I had my PAP with me.
Victor,
After you check-in, wash your socks and underwear. Drape them over the lighted lamps in your room. Go to dinner with no socks or underwear. By the time you go to bed they will be almost dry. Turn off the lamps and in the morning they will be dry. If you don't think something will be dry in the morning, put that lamp in the bathroom and leave it on.

Ed
ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset APAP
ResMed Mirage Quattro FFM
Backup ResMed S9

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:13 pm

I will always carry mine.