Dizzy and lightheaded.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CMF

Dizzy and lightheaded.

Post by CMF » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:53 am

I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon about this, but I wanted to get your thoughts.

I've been getting dizzy lately when I move my head quickly from one position to another - even when laying in bed. Is it possible that an overtightened full face mask strap can cause this? The bottom strap sits where my neck meets my skull. Could I be pinching a never or something causing me to feel like I'm drugged for most of the day?

Thoughts? Jokes?

Charles

Captain_Midnight

Re: Dizzy and lightheaded.

Post by Captain_Midnight » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:08 am

CMF, One question for you re dizziness when moving head.

By chance, did you have a head cold or upper resp infection recently? If I'm not mistaken, the residual inflammation from a cold or related secondary infection can lead to labyrinthitis, among other issues.

I also seem to recall that this might be due to (among many, many different possibilities) a deficiency of certain electrolytes, such as potassium.

Best to check with the doc (never trust med advice online, including this post). And of course, no tightrope walking, rock climbing or skydiving until it's all better.

CMF

Post by CMF » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:14 am

No. No recent cold stuff in my cabeza. "labyrinthitis" I'm going to have to look that one up

Thanks for pitching in and trying to help me figure this out.

Charles

rstcso

Post by rstcso » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:18 am

Captain_Midnight wrote:Best to check with the doc (never trust med advice online, including this post). And of course, no tightrope walking, rock climbing or skydiving until it's all better.
You forgot to mention scuba diving .

I agree with C_M, but the doctor should be able to tell if there's fluid in the ears, etc. Good luck.

CMF

Post by CMF » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:24 am

Boy oh boy! I just looked it up. Apparently it s very difficult to figure out the cause:

"Tests sometimes used to find the cause of the dizziness or vertigo include hearing tests, balance tests (electronystagmography or posturography), computed tomography (CT or CAT) scan, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan, eye tests, or tests to look at brain function (electroencephalogram). High blood pressure can cause blockage in tiny blood vessels in the inner ear, creating symptoms similar to labyrinthitis."

What a hassle! Maybe feeling woozy most of the day is not such a bad thing after all??

Charles

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:50 pm

My guess:

1. You had essential hypertension before cpap and were taking medications for it.
2. You went on CPAP while still taking the same dose of hypertension medication.
3. CPAP lowered your hypertension naturally which combined with medication put you in a hypOtensive state.

The result of hypotension (low blood pressure) is dizziness, loss of balance especially when going from a sitting to a standing position.

Go eat some french fries, you'll get some potassium and salt. Talk to your doctor about your hypertension medication it is working too well.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

CRS

Post by CRS » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:22 pm

I second the low blood pressure hypothesis...

I had a doctor put me on an antihypertensive once, for the sole purpose of augmenting the effects of another medication. I told him that my blood pressure naturally ran low and I really didn't want it, but he insisted. It messed me up so bad that just turning my head from side to side or sitting up in bed made me feel like I was going to pass out. As soon as I quit the antihypertensive, I was fine again. Something you might want to rule out before you go through all those tests!
M Series Auto w/A-flex, M Series HH, Mirage Liberty hybrid mask, Respironics hose snuggie.

CMF

Post by CMF » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:05 pm

I just came back from the doc - my bp was 110 0ver 80. I'll monitor at home.

Thxs,
Charles

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:40 pm

CRS wrote:I second the low blood pressure hypothesis...

I had a doctor put me on an antihypertensive once, for the sole purpose of augmenting the effects of another medication. I told him that my blood pressure naturally ran low and I really didn't want it, but he insisted. It messed me up so bad that just turning my head from side to side or sitting up in bed made me feel like I was going to pass out. As soon as I quit the antihypertensive, I was fine again. Something you might want to rule out before you go through all those tests!
Sometimes like with a heart condition, they put you on a very low dose of medication even if you are not hypertensive. They use an ACE inhibitor like Lisinopril known to dilate blood vessels at a very low dose of 2.5mg (vs. 10 or 20 or higher). By dilating the blood vessels they improve flow to the heart and it takes some of the load off it.

My brother had to have 3 stents put in, they gave him that and he was hypotensive.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

jnk

Post by jnk » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:30 pm

CMF wrote:I just came back from the doc - my bp was 110 0ver 80. I'll monitor at home.

Thxs,
Charles
You might want to keep a bp machine right next to your bed so you can check both arms first thing in the morning before you stand up. That can be when bp is lowest, if you haven't just been chasing large game during REM, that is.

dsm

Post by dsm » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:40 pm

Snoredog,

Good point re hypertension & low blood pressure. Have felt this myself from time to time & hadn't connected the dots until you mentioned that.
I do have a portable BPM & if this light headedness happens again will note the BP & perhaps go chew some fries (easy enough to do here )

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Marietjie

Post by Marietjie » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:12 pm

CMF wrote:I just came back from the doc - my bp was 110 0ver 80. I'll monitor at home.

Thxs,
Charles
Hi Have you had your BLOOD SUGAR tested ? Low or High blood sugar can make you feel 'funny'.
I've realised that I've got hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) (felt dizzy and lightheaded) Fixed it with (right) DIET.
Never thought wrong foods will have an effect on ME. But it did - Now I stopped eating sugars, cakes, chocs, all sweet foods.
Doctor said: Breakfast must be my main meal - start with fruit (not too many) wholewheat ProNutro,
2 slices Low GI wholewheat bread with cheese, marmite or cucumber - tea without sugar. It works!!! Have a look at
Hypoglycemia Diet on internet - do's and don'ts - Have a nice day - Marietjie

CMF

Post by CMF » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:35 am

I check my blood sugar regularly and it is under control. I'm thinking of visiting a chiropractor??

Charles

onital717

Post by onital717 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:23 am

Your doc will tell you that the CPAP does not cause dizziness, at least my doc did. However, that is totally not true. I started BP meds, and had not issues with felling dizzy, I never did. After my second sleep study, the one where you are actually using the CPAP, that's when it all started. Within minutes of waking up, I was so dizzy I could not drive home. This went on for several months, and the doc finally reduced the CPAP pleasure level. I did help some, but I was at a point where I could not function. I have stopped using my CPAP, and I am still dizzy, however, not as bad. I do believe it's a combination of both meds and CPAP creating the issue. I have never had this problem until I started the meds and the CPAP. Very concerned that now I am screwed up, and my head will not recover from this. Don't let anyone tell you it's not the CPAP or it will go away after you get use to it. It's been 8 months, and I am still struggling with this issue. It's not as bad, but no that I stopped the CPAP, but it's still there. Again, perhaps a combination of both med and CPAP. I can tell you the CPAP made it worse. Good luck and I hope you don't end up like me. My job was hanging on a thread because of what using this machine did. Very concerned that I will not return to normal. Good luck and I hope you don't end up in the same situation .