New to CPAP, discouraged already. Help.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bucksbeek

New to CPAP, discouraged already. Help.

Post by bucksbeek » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:25 am

Hi everyone! I've been lurking around these boards for a few days and have finally decided to post about my troubles. I am recently diagnosed with osa and have been on a loaner Resmed S8 Escape II machine for about a week and a half. I was originally prescribed an auto set machine but my insurance deductible rolled over January 1st and I can't afford to buy my own machine until next month sometime. I was also given the Resmed Quattro full face mask from the doctors office (for free which was really super nice). However after about two days on that mask my eyes were so dry from the mask leaking that I couldn't stand it. I went back to dr. office and got refitted into several other masks all which were still giving me problems with air in my eyes. I mentioned that I was not breathing out of my mouth at night and he said then I probably didn't even need to full face. I tried a nasal mask..same issues with leaks. Finally he gave me the Pilairo nasal pillow mask which was like heaven! No bulky mask, no leaks. So I went home with renewed hope. Ok great! However, now I find that I've been pulling the mask off in the middle of the night. When I realize I don't have it on I end up putting it on only to find that I've taken it off again two hours or so later. I have also noticed that the mask is very wet when I take it off and my face is wet underneath it. I called the Doc office and the techie says to try turning my humidity down. He also says that I might be pulling the mask off because I'm not getting enough air. so we have now turned my pressure from 10 to 12 and turned the humidity down from 4 to 3. I slept last night like this only to still have taken the mask off twice, still having a wet face and still being just as tired as ever. I really am completely discouraged right now I don't know what to do. I already feel like giving up but I know I can't because I need this. I'm tired of being tired. I want to see results. I want this to work. If anyone has any suggestions advice or just plain old words of encouragment, I'd really like to hear. thanks!

ughwhatname

Re: New to CPAP, discouraged already. Help.

Post by ughwhatname » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:24 pm

WELCOME! You've come to the right place. I'm a sorto-newbie, and I know others with loads more experience will be along shortly to give you some great advice. All I can offer is a suggestion that the humidity might still be too high and maybe if you don't have a heated hose, you could cover your hose to help prevent the condensation.

I'm so glad your doctor's office helped you out with masks. I use the pillows also and like them the best.

As far as removing the mask in your sleep, there are tricks to address that. Taping a part of it to your face would likely wake you when you were taking it off. I know others will have additional suggestions.

Keep posting and you will be amazed at the collective wisdom and knowledge on this board. This is truly a place of "there are no dumb questions."

insylem

Post by insylem » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:46 pm

I've never taken my mask off in my sleep. Once I disconected the hose somehow though. Of course I woke up from an apnea event and reconnected it.

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:51 pm

insylem wrote:I've never taken my mask off in my sleep. Once I disconected the hose somehow though. Of course I woke up from an apnea event and reconnected it.

I could say the same, but last night, there is 40 minutes of missing data. I didn't get out of bed, and don't believe I took my mask off. Its either evil gnomes, or a software glitch I suppose.

tomma

Post by tomma » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:57 pm

About the only thing I can say is, don't give up!!

Seriously, I'm new to this too, been on it for close to 2 months, and it's only been in the last week or so that I've finally got things figured out and starting to see the results I expected all along. It's not easy, at all. Leaks, marks on the face, gas, bloating, insomnia, sleepiness, dealing with moron DME's, and probably others I'm not remembering at the moment. But, even with all that, the alternative is much worse.

Stick with it, it will get better!

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:05 pm

"Plain old words of encouragement" coming your way bucksbeek! In a sense right now you're flying blind with the Escape because you can't examine more closely what's happening during the night. The Escape is what we call a "brick" because it doesn't provide you with any data other than how many hours you've used it. When you get your S9 Autoset (NOT the Escape Auto) you can download free software and begin looking to see what's going on with your pressure(s), leaks, etc so that you can get your therapy optimized.

Make sure your machine is sitting lower than your head (not on the floor though), this can help avoid or minimize that moisture buildup (aka "rainout") you're experiencing.

Stick around, there is a lot of help available here. And welcome.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:17 pm

Often with nasal pillow masks we have condensation in the nasal pillows from the moisture in our own exhaled breath.
This can happen to people who aren't even using a humidifier. The bedroom temp is cool enough that the nasal pillow cools to a point where the moisture that is in the exhaled air simple condenses.
So turning the humidifier down may not help because the problem is still present with the moisture in the air we exhale.

When you get your permanent machine the new machines have a heated hose which can help a lot.
I use a little barrel cozy on my nasal pillow mask. It acts like an insulator between the warm air we exhale into the pillow and the cool bedroom temps. Helps prevent the condensation.
Padacheek makes some nice ones but I don't know if she makes one for the Pilairo but you might give her a call.
You can see it here. Might give you some idea about how to maybe make one of your own.
http://www.padacheek.com/PACSwiftII_Barrel_cozy.html

Other alternative is room temperature increase to help prevent the cooling of the nasal pillows and release of the moisture in the form of condensation.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:07 pm

Hi,

Try running for a night with the humidity turned down to zero (but still have water in the tank). See if you still get wet. If so, then something goofy is going on (perhaps over filling the tank). I suspect, however, that you will not get wet. Then try turning it up gradually (maybe 1 notch per night). If you live someplace really humid, you might not need any added humidity, or can get away with "pass through" (putting water in the tank, but setting the humidifier to zero).

Two other things really help...put the machine below the level of your bed so that extra water runs back down into the water tank rather than running into your nose, and get some kind of hose cover.

Please don't get discouraged. CPAP and sleep disorders are a really complex nut to crack with a zillion different variables. Making it even more complex is that everyone is different. Now then, with OSA, your brain is probably just a little foggy. OSA can do a real number on your thought processes. That will clear up over time. But for now, seemingly small problems can be extra hard to solve. Please accept that as a temporary reality, and know that everything will get better over time. You are on the right track by visiting the forum and posting. I am not any smarter than anyone else, but I do have the benefit of having pounded my forehead on the CPAP brick wall many times over the past 4 years.

-john-

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:26 pm

bucksbeek wrote:Hi everyone! I've been lurking around these boards for a few days and have finally decided to post about my troubles. I am recently diagnosed with osa and have been on a loaner Resmed S8 Escape II machine for about a week and a half. I was originally prescribed an auto set machine but my insurance deductible rolled over January 1st and I can't afford to buy my own machine until next month sometime.
If you are spending your own money then buy online. It will cost you about half what a brick & mortar place charges.
When I realize I don't have it on I end up putting it on only to find that I've taken it off again two hours or so later. I have also noticed that the mask is very wet when I take it off and my face is wet underneath it. I called the Doc office and the techie says to try turning my humidity down. He also says that I might be pulling the mask off because I'm not getting enough air. so we have now turned my pressure from 10 to 12 and turned the humidity down from 4 to 3. I slept last night like this only to still have taken the mask off twice, still having a wet face and still being just as tired as ever. I really am completely discouraged right now I don't know what to do. I already feel like giving up but I know I can't because I need this. I'm tired of being tired. I want to see results. I want this to work. If anyone has any suggestions advice or just plain old words of encouragment, I'd really like to hear. thanks!
Wear the mask with the machine going full blast while watching TV. Watch something that captures your attention. You have to teach your body/mind that this thing on your face is safe for you. When you go to bed recite about 20 times to your self "I wear my mask all night long to help me breathe"(Note the present tense)

There are hose cosies and mask cosies available on line. A quick & dirt fix for the hose is to pick up a bunch of tube socks from a discount store and cut the toes off and slide them over the hose.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:46 pm

I love to sleep in a cold room, but try turning up your heat and see if it helps. Difference in temp between room and hose can cause condensation.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:13 pm

Welcome. Starlette had some extra milk and cookies; Enjoy!
Starlette http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... d-milk.jpg

bucksbeek

Post by bucksbeek » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:20 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions! Last night I had the humidity down to 2 but my nostrils and my mouth were really super dry when I woke up in the middle of the night. I also had taken my mask off at some point again which is so frustrating because I don't even really realize it. When I bumped it back to 3 it did seem to get wet even with the hose over the headboard, so maybe it is just condensation fro my breath or sweat?.Is anyone else using the Pilairo nasal pillows or had a problem with them irritating the bottom of your nose right on the bottom corner of the nostril? Mine are are a little dry and raw and they hurt last night when I was at full pressure. I don't know if this is normal or if its from the condensation. Either way I ended up taking the mask off completely so I could at least get some sleep, even it i know it's not true sleep with OSA. Sigh...guess I need to talk to my Drs tech guy again on Monday but I feel bad bothering him all the time,trying not to be annoying. You guys are helping a lot! It's nice to be able to chat with others who know what the heck I mean and how I feel.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:39 pm

Get some Lansinoh lanolin ointment. Found in the baby section of most stores along with nipples and bottles. Apply it liberally during the day to the sore areas on the nostrils. Nursing mom's use it to help with chaffed nipples.
Apply sparingly at night..too much and your body heat will melt it and the nasal pillows will slide all over the place.

The nostrils are pretty much virgin territory...never had anything rub up against it so it is fairly tender and easily abraded.
Also check the tension on the strap. The Pilairo has a one size fits all strap and for a lot of people it puts too much tension on the nostrils. I have used nasal pillows for nearly 4 years and the Pilairo last summer made my nose feel like I had ran into someone's fist when I had the strap position where it shows in the picture. Lowering it so it ran more closely to the top of my ears loosened it just enough so that my nose wasn't sore.
With any nasal pillow mask if the straps are too tight the nose will get sore and anything beyond very minor tenderness is unwanted.

Look in the mirror with the Pilairo in place...is there any tendency at all for the nostrils to have been moved up even just a little giving a piggy nose appearance? If there is....the straps are too tight.

So play with strap position to lessen tension and add the Lansinoh ointment. It helps as a protective barrier at night and promotes healing during the day.
Expensive for the size of the tube but you will use such a little amount it will last many, many months.
A little bit goes a long way.
Finally, there are other nasal pillow masks that afford a more flexible strap tension setting or you may need to modify the Pilairo strap by adding an extension. You wouldn't be the first. I am a small woman and don't have a large head and it was almost too tight for me. I am okay using it if I want to but it isn't my preference. The Swift FX or the Aloha offer same comfort in the nasal pillows but allow for more adjustability in the straps for better tension control.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

bucksbeek

Post by bucksbeek » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:02 pm

So I went out and bought some Lanolin ointment, we will see how that works out for me. I'm going to keep my humidity at 2.5 tonight to see if it helps at all with the condensation that I'm feeling on my face. Is it even possible that I would be getting condensation from the machine if my tube is hanging over the headboard?? I can't imagine how water would be able to "climb" up a tube like that but maybe it's possible..i don't know. I like the idea of getting a cozy for the pillows...that seems like it would help with the rawness under my nose and maybe help with the wet feeling??

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:12 pm

The water on your nose is probably condensation from the moisture in your own exhaled breath.
It can't go uphill so it falls back onto your nose or stays in the nasal pillow.
It's called rain out.
It can happen in the hose and it can happen just in the nasal pillows.
People can get rain out in the nasal pillows who aren't even using a humidifier.

Increase the bedroom temp so that there is less chance for the nasal pillow to cool to a point that the moisture in the air in the pillow is released in the form of condensation.

The S8 loaner machine is old technology machine. The new machines have a heated hose and this helps keep the air in the nasal pillow warmer and thus lessens the chance of the air cooling down to a point where the moisture is released.

If you have some old socks you can make a home made hose cozy by cutting out the toes and sliding the socks over the hose and maybe it will help insulate the air in the hose so it stays warmer in the hose...and then maybe to the nasal pillow.
Just secure the socks with tape or rubber bands.