dental device woes

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
insylem

dental device woes

Post by insylem » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:11 am

Hey,
I tried one of those dental devices...
it made my sleep apnea WORSE...
Anyone ever hear of that? The dentist said it was my tongue auto rejecting it. He sugested I wear it around the house when not sleeping.

So sunday I wore it arround,
and was on Cpap last night and tonight, and coudlnt hardly sleep at all...
Prescribed 10cm.. Sunday night had to pump it up to 12 to fall asleep woke up full of air.

I feel myself falling asleep and waking up, dont feel or hear snoring though....

What gives? Wish I could call the Dr but it's 2am.

Goofproof

Re: dental device woes

Post by Goofproof » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:21 am

Buy some Gold, XPAP is the Gold Standard, others are Lead. Jim

Call your provider up every night and ask them why it doesn't cure, like they say it does.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:41 am

insylem wrote:Hey,
I tried one of those dental devices...
it made my sleep apnea WORSE...
Anyone ever hear of that? The dentist said it was my tongue auto rejecting it. He sugested I wear it around the house when not sleeping.

So sunday I wore it arround,
and was on Cpap last night and tonight, and coudlnt hardly sleep at all...
Prescribed 10cm.. Sunday night had to pump it up to 12 to fall asleep woke up full of air.

I feel myself falling asleep and waking up, dont feel or hear snoring though....

What gives? Wish I could call the Dr but it's 2am.
Hi insylem,

I am confused, you are using both the dental device and the machine at the same time or not? And is your dentist a member of the American Academy of Sleep Dental Medicine? Not that it guarantees you will find a good professional but many dentists take up sleep medicine without having any clue as to what they are doing and it sounds like yours doesn't.
Did he take a look at the appliance to make sure it didn't need an adjustment or did he just automatically blame your tongue?

Finally, as an FYI, here is a study on the effectiveness of fix appliances vs. adjustable at various AHIs. As you can see, the fixed ones have a success rate that is generally lower than the adjustable.

https://advancedbrainmonitoring.app.box ... 7pjn8s11y4

Good luck in getting things resolved.

SleepyToo2

Post by SleepyToo2 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:46 am

49er, you can wear both a dental appliance and an xpap, so long as you are not trying to use the TapPap. I know, I have done it, and had a positive experience. Just that the TapPap is more comfortable. However, I did notice my jaw falling quite a long way back last night (I was having difficulty sleeping anyway), so maybe I need to go back to the dental appliance + nasal pillows for a while ...

greyhound

Post by greyhound » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:58 pm

I've been using a dental appliance for the past week in the hope that I might be able to use it while traveling overseas. So far, I have not had a good night's sleep with it, and I don't, at this time, have high expectations. I plan on giving it another week before packing my CPAP for my next trip.

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:15 pm

I have used both CPAP and my custom dental device- I did it for almost a year for TMJ issues. I never tried it alone without CPAP.

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14