AHI

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
insylem

AHI

Post by insylem » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:26 am

Hello,
Somedays my AHI is 2
Somedays my AHI is 11 - 13

What gives?

Julie

Re: AHI

Post by Julie » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:50 am

Hi - it might help to keep a diary for a while of everything you do around sleeping, like whether or not you drink caffeine or alcohol within e.g. 6 hrs of bedtime, or do a workout close before sleeping (not a great idea), or keep a log of leak rates and correlate them with AHI's, etc. etc. Without anything more to go on, it's a bit hard to help. You might also consider whether you have food likely to cause overnight reflux (and it can be 'silent' but still affect quality of sleep).

johnthomasmacdonald

Post by johnthomasmacdonald » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:50 pm

Hi Insylem - I've had the same problem since i started treatment back in the end of July. I've tried different machines: straight cpap, apap, bilevel, bilevel apap, ASV; about a dozen different masks, all sorts of accessories and I try to keep the exact same sleep routine each night and i see very little improvement. I had an absolutely great night last night, ahi 3.7 and i slept for around 9.5 hours with one wakeup. Tonight i might wake up 7 or 8 times and have an ahi over 20. If you figure out what's going on, please tell me.

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:52 pm

insylem wrote:Somedays my AHI is 2 Somedays my AHI is 11 - 13
Hi,

Are you able to download your data and see the graphs? The ones that would be the most useful are events and leaks.

CPAP doesn't work on a sliding scale. That is, if your pressure is 10% off, you don't get partial credit. Rather, it is like a light switch. Either you are at a treatment pressure, or you are getting very little benefit from the machine. It is possible that your pressure is right on the edge of being correct, and some nights you get the treatment, and some nights you don't. It is also possible to be on the other side of this cliff by being right up against the edge where you get central events. It is probably going to require seeing some data to get any insight into this issue.

A final thought is that the M-Series machines are getting a little on the older side, especially if this has been your primary machine for several years. This might be a reason to move up to a little more modern auto adjusting machine. That way, if you need a little more pressure on some nights, the machine can detect that and deliver what you need.

-john-