Hose drying time

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
davelikesbeer

Hose drying time

Post by davelikesbeer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:13 pm

About two weeks ago, I changed my hose. Not sure why I did, but I decided to do it any how.

The old hose still was fine as there were no holes, so my thought was I'd wash it, dry it then store it for emergency use in the future. Well, it turns out that after a couple of weeks of just hanging around, it still has droplets of water inside!

I tried hooking it up to my machine for a little while, but I don't like recording data when the machine is not in use. I also trying using a hair drying cupping my hand over the hose to force warm air down it. But I got too bored before the droplets evaporated.

Anyone have good drying techniques for the hose?

bradleyjoe

Re: Hose drying time

Post by bradleyjoe » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:40 pm

ok

Last edited by bradleyjoe on Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:52 pm

Dave,
Do you still have your old PR S1 Auto? I know a few of the people here who use a back-up machine to dry their hoses after cleaning. Some others will rotate two or more hoses so that the time it takes for a newly cleaned hose to dry isn't as much of a factor because of being able to use one of the other already cleaned and dryed hoses. Then if money is burning a hole in the pocket, there is a very nice drying cabinet that our forum hosts have for about $150. It dries all of the mask parts, humidifier chamber, and hoses.
John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

davelikesbeer

Post by davelikesbeer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:03 pm

2 B Sleeping Soundly wrote:Dave,
Do you still have your old PR S1 Auto? I know a few of the people here who use a back-up machine to dry their hoses after cleaning. Some others will rotate two or more hoses so that the time it takes for a newly cleaned hose to dry isn't as much of a factor because of being able to use one of the other already cleaned and dryed hoses. Then if money is burning a hole in the pocket, there is a very nice drying cabinet that our forum hosts have for about $150. It dries all of the mask parts, humidifier chamber, and hoses.
John
Yes, I do still have my PRS1 Auto. I question how long one must run air through it in order to dry it though.

I don't have money to burn, but $150 would be doable. But I don't have the space for yet another thing.

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:22 pm

davelikesbeer wrote:
2 B Sleeping Soundly wrote:Dave,
John
Yes, I do still have my PRS1 Auto. I question how long one must run air through it in order to dry it though.

I don't have money to burn, but $150 would be doable. But I don't have the space for yet another thing.
Yeah, I don't currently use a back-up machine to dry my hose after cleaning so I am not sure how long it would take. Probably depends on current time of year (summer/winter), ambient temperature, and humidity.

As far as the drying cabinet, I would love to get one of these but I can already hear my wife say: "Where do you plan on putting that thing", so until I have a good spot to hide it out of sight or come up with a good answer to her imagined query, I will have to just admire it from a distance https://www.cpap.com/productpage/mvap-h ... dryer.html

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:21 pm

Mine seems to be dry after about 30 minutes on the old CPAP machine. YMMV with local temp and humidity.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Trouba

Post by Trouba » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:37 am

80 dollars at Amazon, works good.

davelikesbeer

Post by davelikesbeer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am

For those that are curious, that appears to be the "Sunpentown SD-1501 Warm-Air 3-2/5-Liter-Capacity Dish Dryer".

Heavylids

Post by Heavylids » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:55 am

I just use it the same night I wash it and it drys out in no time.

I have used this answer for the last 3 ,241, 843 posts about hose drying.

Trouba

Post by Trouba » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:55 pm

davelikesbeer wrote:For those that are curious, that appears to be the "Sunpentown SD-1501 Warm-Air 3-2/5-Liter-Capacity Dish Dryer".
Yes it is Sorry I forgot to mention it, and it does come with a built in filter.

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:08 pm

bradleyjoe wrote:Take it outside make sure you have room and swing it around and around above your head try to go as fast as you can.
Brad
Do this outside you say? No wonder my wife didn't approve of this drying method!
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

-tim

Post by -tim » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:52 pm

This link has a device I made:
viewtopic.php?t=81982&f=1

It takes about 1/2 an hour but its humid lately.

Others have found that some sports bottles have a spout that is the right size and its easy to get a small computer fan hooked to a battery or plug pack to power it.

davelikesbeer

Post by davelikesbeer » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:15 pm

Heavylids wrote:I just use it the same night I wash it and it drys out in no time.

I have used this answer for the last 3 ,241, 843 posts about hose drying.
That's what I normally do as well. But for some reason, unknown to even me, I decided to change hoses. Since the other hose wasn't bad, just old, I thought I'd keep it in storage. I only noticed weeks later that it still had water in it after swinging it around my head weeks ago.

I really like the idea of building a small blowing device. Much smaller than an official dryer, plus I get to build something.

-tim

Post by -tim » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:44 pm

davelikesbeer wrote:I only noticed weeks later that it still had water in it after swinging it around my head weeks ago.
Water in humid environment is a great place for lots of things to call their new home. I don't think I want to breath any of that stuff.

insylem

Post by insylem » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:41 am

davelikesbeer wrote: I tried hooking it up to my machine for a little while, but I don't like recording data when the machine is not in use.
I just pull the data card out hook the hose up to the machine and let it run.
It wont (mine anyway) record data with the card removed.