Is total face as effective as full face?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
breakfast

Is total face as effective as full face?

Post by breakfast » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:28 pm

I'm having a great time with APAP since the DME visited on Monday. My blood pressure is down to 160/50 (from 200/120), my energy is starting to come back, and I feel overall less like crap all the time. The only thing I have trouble with right now is an ulcer on my nose, which started as a blister. I have adjusted the mask so it's looser (I'm apparently getting tons of leaks) and I've had to use Band-Aid Blister Care strips when I use the mask, but it still hurts and from the reading I've done here, it sounds like I might need a different type of mask.

I am thinking of a total face mask but it is it as effective? If you use a total face, can you tell me about how your eyes feel in the morning? (I have Fuch's dystrophy, so eye comfort is a dealbreaker.)

I'm considering a hybrid mask, but it won't be appropriate for me at the moment due to a deviated septum. Nasal isn't appropriate either, since I am an intractable mouth breather.

Thanks!

ThatMaskedMan

Re: Is total face as effective as full face?

Post by ThatMaskedMan » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:11 am

I've been wanting to try a total face myself, though I'm very happy with my Ultra Mirage Full Face except that it tends to get a leaky elbow. What I would suggest is that you get a photocopy of your prescription (possibly don't need to bother the doctor, in my case the front desk clerk at the DME cheerfully photocopied it from my file), then fax it in to cpapauction.com and/or cpap.com. Cpapauction actually has two for sale cheap the last I looked, one small and one large (they don't make medium.) Somewhere I read that most adults take a large.

I too had a painful blister on the bridge of my nose when I started, but bandaids helped. Some suggest moleskin, from the foot care section of your drugstore or supermarket. Soon enough, my skin toughened up.

If you end up not wanting the large, maybe I'll buy it from you.

I lived and worked one year in Canaan, NH and am thinking of applying for a job opening right now in Penacook, whereever that is .

breakfast

Post by breakfast » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:25 am

My DME is really good in that if I'm having a problem with the mask in the first 30 days of ownership, they'll replace it. I put in a call to my RT today and I should be hearing from her sometime tomorrow or Monday, and she'll be able to take care of it. (Insurance will pay 100% for the mask if it's provided by my DME so I can't complain there, lol)

Pennacook is just slightly north of Concord. It's a great place to work and live. (I'm in Bedford, just south of Manchester.) I got lost on purpose one day and ended up in Canaan-- no idea how that happened, but it was pleasurable!

Jay K

Post by Jay K » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:31 am

I was using the Fitlife for awhile (which is a total face mask) and had good luck with it (and I have moderately dry eyes). However, when I started to use the System One Bipap, I found I wasn't feeling so good in the morning. I decided this probably was because with the System One the pressures were auto-adjusting to numbers significantly lower than when I was using the S8 (8 inhale and around 5 exhale with the System One compared to around 10 overall with the S8). I then learned the Fitlife is not supposed to be used at low pressures (although what is low is not really defined by the manufacturer), I suppose because of the possibility of not venting out all the carbon dioxide, which you might then re-breath. So, I am guessing that at pressures of about 10 and above the Fitlife (and similar masks) works well (as it did for me initially), but as one gets much lower than this, there may be problems. But others may have had different experiences.

roster

Post by roster » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:56 am

breakfast wrote: I'm considering a hybrid mask, but it won't be appropriate for me at the moment due to a deviated septum.

Who told you that? Before I had corrective surgery, I used a Hybrid ( http://hybridmask.com/ ) for two years with a double deviated septum.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

breakfast

Post by breakfast » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:38 am

roster wrote:
breakfast wrote: I'm considering a hybrid mask, but it won't be appropriate for me at the moment due to a deviated septum.

Who told you that? Before I had corrective surgery, I used a Hybrid ( http://hybridmask.com/ ) for two years with a double deviated septum.
That was coming from the ENT who prescribed me everything I asked for. I have a 95% blockage on the left and there were concerns that I may not be able to tolerate pillows until after my septoplasty.

roster

Post by roster » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:22 am

I have used my Hybrid with nearly 100% blockage in both nostrils when I had a bad cold (prior to nasal surgery). A total face mask is a fairly extreme choice, but you make the call.

BTW, I have one an excellent ENT who has developed new surgical procedures for sleep apnea, but he doesn't understand what it is like to use a CPAP and breathe through a pressurized mask while asleep.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

djr1215

Post by djr1215 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:11 am

I also use the Hybrid with a deviated septum (the first time the ENT looked up my nose she said "Whoa! how do you breathe?)
I haven't had the surgery. That's why the Hybrid is good. If I can get any air through my nostrils good, but for most of the time I mouth breathe.

breakfast

Post by breakfast » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:04 am

Interesting. I'm glad hybrid masks have worked out for fellow hoseheads with deviated septums. Septum aside, it is an appealing option but I am really sensitive to things being in my nose and I'm mostly afraid of hating it and becoming noncompliant. I've had trouble with even a simple oxygen cannula, so something that seals up my nostrils is probably going to drive me nuts.

kteague

Post by kteague » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:20 pm

Funny how different we all are. A friend of mine on cpap says they would freak out at the pillows blocking their nose. For me, I don't even feel the air when my pillows are in place, but the sensation of the air in a nasal or full face mask would be a major adjustment for me. I have been thinking about trying the Hybrid just to be able to quit wearing a chin strap (that is only marginally effective).

Jay K, good reminder for all of us to know the recommended minimum pressure for any mask we use.

Kathy

elena88

Post by elena88 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:09 pm

I had a fitlife mask for a month, and then I sent it back.

I did not bother my eyes, my apap range was set at 5 -20 when I had it though.. my pressure is around ten now..

I couldnt feel the air pressure at all because the mask was so big, but it leaked like crazy at my temples and I couldnt tape it because
of my hair there..

I put it on my husband, and he thought it was really comfortable too, but I just couldnt get it to work for me.

Some people like it a lot.

roster

Post by roster » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:26 pm

breakfast wrote: .... I am really sensitive to things being in my nose and I'm mostly afraid of hating it and becoming noncompliant. ....

For those unfamiliar with the Hybrid nasal pillows, or any nasal pillows for that matter, one thing needs clarification. Properly sized and adjusted nasal pillows are not situated in the nose. They seal on the outside of the nostrils.

sleepnationtv

Post by sleepnationtv » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:00 pm

The total face masks are pretty comfortable but I have never had any real luck getting them to seal on anybody so I would say only try it if you can return it. I think the Resmed Liberty would be a better option. It should be fine with a deviated septum because you will just breath through your mouth.
Dane Schapper, Founder cpaplibrary.com
Check out the cpaplibrary video bloghttp://www.cpaplibrary.com

Jay K

Post by Jay K » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:42 pm

I didn't have any trouble getting the Fitlife to seal. I did have trouble getting a number of full face masks to seal properly, although the Quatro seems to be okay. My only problem with the total face Fitlife was (as above) my sense that at low pressures the carbon dioxide did not fully evacuate the mask.

breakfast

Post by breakfast » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:08 pm

roster wrote:
breakfast wrote: .... I am really sensitive to things being in my nose and I'm mostly afraid of hating it and becoming noncompliant. ....

For those unfamiliar with the Hybrid nasal pillows, or any nasal pillows for that matter, one thing needs clarification. Properly sized and adjusted nasal pillows are not situated in the nose. They seal on the outside of the nostrils.
Glad to know this.

I called my RT yesterday and mentioned that I was having a lot of leaks and that I have this beautiful ulcer on the bridge of my nose which is probably never going to heal. We talked about options and she reassured me of what Roster/Rooster has told me so far. I should have my Liberty tomorrow. I hope it works, so I can back over the Quattro several times with a station wagon. It was great for maybe two nights, then it started feeling bad, and last night my leaks were something like 40l/m. My eyes hurt like hell and I feel like garbage. Forget this thing.