Waking up REALLY early

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Re: Waking up REALLY early

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri May 21, 2021 4:31 pm

ElusiveSleep wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 1:43 pm
But in general, 6 hours of sleep seems to be the magic number, especially in those who are over age 60 since sleep time diminishes in the elderly.
Recent studies have found differently.
Do Older People Need Less Sleep?
According to the National Institution on Aging, it is considered a myth that older adults require less sleep than younger individuals. Many older adults have a hard time getting the sleep they need, but that doesn’t mean they need less sleep. The amount of sleep that a person needs can decrease from infancy to adulthood, but this trend appears to stop around age 60. The National Sleep Foundation guidelines10 advise that people over 65 should get seven to eight hours of sleep each night.

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/aging-and-sleep

ElusiveSleep

Post by ElusiveSleep » Mon May 24, 2021 2:34 pm

I did not mean to infer that elderly require LESS sleep, but rather some develop inability to sleep the same length of time compared to earlier in life.

From the web page you cited:
"Aging affects people differently. While some older adults may have no significant disruptions in their sleep, others complain about getting less sleep and having worse sleep quality."

Studies show that a minimum of 6 hours of sleep is needed to maintain optimal daytime activities.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon May 24, 2021 3:04 pm

ElusiveSleep wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 2:34 pm
Studies show that a minimum of 6 hours of sleep is needed to maintain optimal daytime activities.
The most accepted recommendation says 7 or more hours of sleep for a healthy adult. It's a consensus recommendation by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine and the Sleep Research Society. It's the most cited (914) in peer-reviewed journal articles.
Adults should sleep 7 or more hours per night on a regular basis to promote optimal health.

Sleeping less than 7 hours per night on a regular basis is associated with adverse health outcomes, including weight gain and obesity, diabetes, hypertension, heart disease and stroke, depression, and increased risk of death. Sleeping less than 7 hours per night is also associated with impaired immune function, increased pain, impaired performance, increased errors, and greater risk of accidents.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4434546/

pnwbliss57@gmail.com

Post by pnwbliss57@gmail.com » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:01 pm

same thing happened to me...not just early but i felt good too...i surmised it was your body feeling llike it finally got the rest it needed and woke up. i also learned to actual get up and start my day vs. going back to sleep to see how that day went ...and also to keep mask on if i go back to sleep eventhough i felt good because if u fall back asleep w no cpap you will then have apneas and you will reverse your gains...