CPAP and dry eyes

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
impetuous

CPAP and dry eyes

Post by impetuous » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:09 pm

Since I have been usu my CPAP I have been having trouble with dry eyes. My eye doctor said the CPAP part of the problem. Has anyone had this problem and if so what did you do?

ractar28

Re: CPAP and dry eyes

Post by ractar28 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:27 pm

There are two main causes that I've experienced. Either your mask is leaking around the bridge of the nose or the leak port is routing air that direction. For instance, I have the Ultra Mirage 2 nasal mask and if I have the elbow pointed downward, I experience no feeling of air near my eyes, but if I point it upward, the relief valve is integrated and routes "up the hose" on the exterior and some of the breeze is felt. This can be further complicated by the fact that some people don't close their eyes fully when asleep (my youngest has her eyelids cracked (as in slightly open, not physically damaged) most of the time).

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:40 pm

impetuous wrote:Since I have been usu my CPAP I have been having trouble with dry eyes. My eye doctor said the CPAP part of the problem. Has anyone had this problem and if so what did you do?
I have exactly that problem, my eye doctor asked me if I had allergies? None, all my life. It appears now I am allergic to dust which makes my nose run as soon as I take of my mask. She prescribed eye drops. But still my eyes are dry.

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:39 pm

I use the goggles that are sold at this site. They work great (and I'm not associated with the company in any way)

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/Store ... 2=14335274

mellabella

Post by mellabella » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:10 pm

JeffH wrote:I use the goggles that are sold at this site. They work great (and I'm not associated with the company in any way)

Did you have significant problems with puffy eyes before you began using the goggles? And which style do you use?

I'm curious because I've found nothing that works (including a regular cloth eyemask), don't find that it's related to mask leak rates, and would assume that anything else pressing on the eyes might actually worsen the issue. If this looks like something that stopped the problem for someone else, I'm happy to risk the investment in a pair! (Not that I need to look any stranger at night, what with the mask and PAP-CAP).

outrun

Post by outrun » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:54 pm

I got pink eye my first week using my cpap. I am only in like my 7th week I guess. After my pink eye my eye was still hurting and I finally figured out it was dry eyes. It sucks. I used drops for a few days and lowered my pressure down from 10 to 8 for a while. But what seems to me is that it is not leaking but rather like traveling up your nose through your sinus or something and getting behind the eye and drying it out if that can happen?

Also I wake up with puffy eyes also.

clanrat

Post by clanrat » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:25 pm

I believe that there is a slight chance that you can 'leak' from your CPAP machine, through your tear ducts drain, to your eyes. This is one reason why the extremely freakish total face masks exist. http://totalfacemask.respironics.com/

I hope you find a solution that works for you.

Best,

-Cam.

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:31 pm

mellabella wrote:
JeffH wrote:I use the goggles that are sold at this site. They work great (and I'm not associated with the company in any way)

Did you have significant problems with puffy eyes before you began using the goggles? And which style do you use?

I'm curious because I've found nothing that works (including a regular cloth eyemask), don't find that it's related to mask leak rates, and would assume that anything else pressing on the eyes might actually worsen the issue. If this looks like something that stopped the problem for someone else, I'm happy to risk the investment in a pair! (Not that I need to look any stranger at night, what with the mask and PAP-CAP).
I have reoccurring corneal abrasion. I put two kinds of ointment in my eyes and then use these goggles. I use the goggles, not a mask.

mellabella

Post by mellabella » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:59 pm

clanrat wrote:I believe that there is a slight chance that you can 'leak' from your CPAP machine, through your tear ducts drain, to your eyes. This is one reason why the extremely freakish total face masks exist. http://totalfacemask.respironics.com/

I hope you find a solution that works for you.

Best,

-Cam.

Well, I looked it up at cpap.com, and a couple users did mention that it seemed to work for puffy eyes! I may try to buy one used. For what it's worth, I also have trouble with dry eyes (predating CPAP) so maybe I could wear the goggles under that thing....

CorgiGirl

Post by CorgiGirl » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:03 pm

I have dry eyes due to Rosacea and the CPAP has made them worse even when I don't have leaks up there. My eye doctor says she can almost always tell when her patients are on CPAP because their eyes are drier than most others... She recommended GenTeal eye drops because they have a disappearing preservative (making them safer) and because they come in three "strengths." I use the medium strength most of the time, but sometimes use the strongest. They're kind of pricey, but my eyes are worth it.

Good luck!

Machine: Respironics M series Auto with A-Flex
Humidifier: Respironics M series Heated Humidifier
Software: Encore Viewer

bouledoux

Post by bouledoux » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:53 am

I see no legitimate reason whatsoever for having the mask's exhaust outlet so near to the patient's face to begin with. This would be a minor alteration on the part of the mask designers to quickly solve by adding at least a six inch or more "extension" so that the exhaust in no way could spray air into the patient's eyes. I've read some post concerning the full face masks but having tried several different ones I cannot find one that makes even a beginning snug fit and the noises that come out from leaks would drive away anyone else trying to share the bed. Forget also trying to sleep on your side with a full face mask. It leaks even holding one's self motionless on your back.

I suffer chronic daytime reflex tearing all day almost from dry eyes brought on by my CPAP use at night. It is not only painful but it is making it extremely difficult to read or do anything with slimey tears running like a river from both eyes. If you cut back on using your CPAP, you run the risk of being de-certified by your sleep doctor to continue to be Medicare eligible for payment for the replacement supplies. They look at your memory card on each visit and the supplier has to get their report in order to give you new masks and hoses etc. You are trapped into having to stay current on your usage even though it is destroying your sight. The drops that are given for dry eyes themselves obscure clear vision as they contain a gel lubricant. You are damned if you do ;and damned if you don't.

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:01 am

I am going to assume that you are using a ffm since dry eyes aren't that uncommon. Try pads either self-made with old t'shirts or pads can be purchased online fairly reasonably. That might help keep air out of your eyes. Also, why a full face mask? Are you a mouth breather. A change in mask might help either to a hybrid mask or nasal pillows/chin strap if you are a mouth breather or to nasal pillows alone if mouth breathing isn't a problem.
impetuous wrote:Since I have been usu my CPAP I have been having trouble with dry eyes. My eye doctor said the CPAP part of the problem. Has anyone had this problem and if so what did you do?

justmewithdryeyes

Post by justmewithdryeyes » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:33 am

Writing this thru blurry eyes this morning. I have dry eyes too and cornea abrasion. I use gels at night and drops all day. The doctor suggested taping my eyes closed. The tape comes off in the night. I might try the pads. I use a nasal mask and I have air leakage too and I think it is coming through my tear ducts. I agree...how much stranger can we look while we sleep??

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:10 am

I wish the Quartz eye shields came in a smaller, slightly deeper cup; (my lashes are looong) with an adjustable nose bridge.
They interfered with the seal of the very cpap masks whose leakage was a bother--and let air in next to my nose--BAD.
I had to return the one I tried, even though I waited MONTHS to get it.
It's a very nice eye cover--if it fits you.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:48 pm

bouledoux wrote:I see no legitimate reason whatsoever for having the mask's exhaust outlet so near to the patient's face to begin with. This would be a minor alteration on the part of the mask designers to quickly solve by adding at least a six inch or more "extension" so that the exhaust in no way could spray air into the patient's eyes.
The vent holes need to be at the mask itself or CO2 will build up. However, you could design a mask with a tube on the other side of the vent holes and a tube on the other side of the holes to vent the air away from the mask. You'd need to tie this hose to the main hose, so it would be a little more hassle to use. The "extended" vent could easily be an optional add-on.

They could do a lot better job at venting in general, even without such extreme measures.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.