Starting to have problems

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JeffH

Starting to have problems

Post by JeffH » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:50 pm

after a long time on CPAP.

Hi all. I just found this forum a couple of days ago and would like some input on my situation.

I have been on CPAP for about seven years but have not had but the original sleep study. My pressure was set on 12 and that seemed OK up until the last 6 months or so. I talked a supplier with a resp. tech. into upping the pressure to 14 after I caught myself stopping breathing when waking up on a couple of occasions. That seemed to help for a few months. Lately I haven't been sleeping well at all. Last night was and hour to get to sleep and woke up about three or four times that I know of.

Sullivan machine with Adams head gear and nasal pillows.

Now the bad part. I don't have insurance. Am over weight, I do exercise, but also have diabetes, and the meds I take seem to make it hard to loose weight. I also have a pacemaker. I'm in Oklahoma. Anybody have any ideas on what I might be able to do to get some help with another sleep study?

Thanks,

Jeff H.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:59 pm

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the forum.

Several thoughts here......
Did the tech check out your machine to see if it's putting out the proper pressure? Did it need to be cleaned.....new filters, etc.?

Another option would be to get an "Auto" machine along with the software to monitor your therapy. There are some that show up on the forum occasionally for sale.....and they're usually pretty reasonably priced.

Example:

viewtopic/t15495/CPAP-selling-question.html

Best wishes,

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:02 pm

Yes, the tech checked the machine and it was still putting out 12 (original setting) when she changed it to 14. I change the filters pretty regularly.

My biggest problem is no insurance and no money...like I'm alone here.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:02 pm

I agree with Wulfman, get a autopap. $600 bucks new or you can look on yahoo auctions or check here every once in a while someone has one for sale.

I'd look for a Remstar Auto or a 420E.

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:08 pm

Thanks Snoredog.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:10 pm

Jeff,

Had another thought when I was re-reading your post.
Could it be you're leaking air out of your mouth during the night?
THAT could also account for your therapy not working as it should. This is a common problem with those who use a nasal interface.....mouth flops open and air comes out instead of holding your airway open. Many people tape their mouths shut or use Polident adhesive strips.

If you wake up with a dry mouth, that would be an indicator.

Best wishes,

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:17 pm

I have had an awful dry, raspy throat since she raised the pressure. Taping my mouth shut you say? GF would get a kick out of that one. I'll try that tonight.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:24 pm

Anonymous wrote:I have had an awful dry, raspy throat since she raised the pressure. Taping my mouth shut you say? GF would get a kick out of that one. I'll try that tonight.
That would be the quickest way to tell.
I don't have that problem as I use a full face mask, but there have been MANY, MANY threads here that discuss that.
I'm sure there are others who will be willing to chime in to agree or advise you along these lines, too.

Den
User since 05/14/05

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:06 pm

[quote="Snoredog"]I agree with Wulfman, get a autopap. $600 bucks new or you can look on yahoo auctions or check here every once in a while someone has one for sale.

I'd look for a Remstar Auto or a 420E.

One question about autopap. I have a pretty bad deviated septum from a long ago car wreck. My left nostral hardly works at all. You think autopap would work with this condition?

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:17 pm

Jeff,

It would (probably) work better than straight CPAP because an APAP will find the best pressure for you to sleep. Most all Respironics machines also have "C-Flex" which helps with exhale relief......which I doubt that you have now.

Den

User since 05/14/05

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:19 pm

Thanks for the input. I'll check this out.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:12 pm

Anonymous wrote:I have had an awful dry, raspy throat since she raised the pressure. Taping my mouth shut you say? GF would get a kick out of that one. I'll try that tonight.
if she says anything just tape her mouth too

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:05 pm

Found an old headband in the junk drawer that fit around the bottom of my head pretty good and covered my mouth. I laid down and put head gear on w/the headband and I could hardly open my mouth so I'll try that tonight and let you know how it worked.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Jeff

curtcurt46

Post by curtcurt46 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:30 pm

Something else might be at play and it may not all be the CPAP. Some folks will develop GERD and not realize the impact this will have on sleep. Some also have silent GERD (with no heart burn). Check out these articles:
http://www.grandtimes.com/GERD.html
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/516189
http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/topics ... forprint=1
I am not saying this is your problem, but you must look at all health issues plus the effectiveness of your cpap therapy in order to solve the mystery. In this case, GERD had not been mentioned and I felt it might be worthwhile for you to consider.
Good Luck & hope this helps.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP

jules

Post by jules » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:43 pm

check out this page and other pages on that site - might be able to help you

http://www.awakeinamerica.org/DonateRel ... mFAQ.shtml