PUFFY EYES SINCE STARTING CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KATHRYN

PUFFY EYES SINCE STARTING CPAP

Post by KATHRYN » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:23 am

Hi, I have been having really puffy areas around my eyes since being on cpap. I am using the Mirage Quattro ffm and don't seem to be having leaks around the eye area, not noticible ones anyway. My leak rate is within normal range for this mask. Have never had a problem waking with this problem before cpap. Do you think it is a mask problem? I sleep on my side. I was thinking about trying the hybrid to see if it might solve this issue, but want to know from you all if pressure of 15 is comfortable with nose pillows. Any help appreciated.

I have been using my cpap for about a month and a half, my original AHI was 113.5 and am now averaging an AHI of 2.9. So feel I am doing well on it and am feeling less mentally fuzzy and have a bit more energy and am less tired. Just would like to address the puffy eyes.

Thanks,
Kathy

One Tired Puppy

Re: PUFFY EYES SINCE STARTING CPAP

Post by One Tired Puppy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:09 pm

Hi Kathy,

I also use the quattro pro ffm and I also have baggy puffy eyes since being on cpap. I never had this problem before either. My pressure isn't as high as yours. In fact, I am on much lower pressures than you but still get this puffiness under the eyes and sometimes my eyelids as well. I don't feel leaking at lower pressures although I did at anything over 10 cm. I tie a nylon scarf gently over my eyes just in case, especially at higher pressures where I might have a little leak.

Other than that, I think it's a good mask. I need a full face mask as I am a mouth breather and I'm not sure what other mask might be suitable or better than the quattro. Someone else might know.

I put a very ice cold cloth on my puffy eyes in the morning. It helps some but they are still noticable. If you find a solution, let me know.

Anne

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:42 pm

When you wake up in the morning, are you sleeping on your back, side or belly? Do you find that one position leads to puffier eyes?

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

sepool

Post by sepool » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:50 pm

Kathy,

I first used the Quattro too. I had the puffy eyes. My pressure was 18. I am now using the nasal pillows on the Swift LT - I got used to it, it seals at my pressure just fine, and I now don't get puffy eyes. I also got the Liberty for when I might need a full face mask.

KATHRYN

Post by KATHRYN » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:29 pm

Hi Anne, I have tried the cold cloth in the am too. My eyes are pretty close set, so maybe the nose bridge part of the mask is putting too much pressure against the tissue of the eyes. I am thinking of trying the hybrid mask, since I mouth breath when asleep.

Hi Dreamdiver, I wake up on my side and pretty much exclusively sleep on one side or the other. Before CPAP, I slept on my side or slightly over on my stomach.

Hi Sepool, it is good to hear that you have good luck using the nasal pillows at 18 pressure. Makes me want to give the hybrid a try. I saw one on cpap auction, that has all the sizes included. May have to give it a go. Will hold on to my other mask till I see what happens.

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:08 pm

I use the Quattro as well... do not have the puffy eye issue.

irishpeacock

Post by irishpeacock » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:12 pm

I dont know about the hybrid, but I found with the liberty that it would lift off my face at pressures over 12. I also get the puffy eyes with the UMFF, even though I have the top straps quite loose. But then I also sleep on my side/stomach so it might be the pressure from the pillow against the mask. I'm rambling...tired. Hope you find something that works.

echo

Post by echo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:15 pm

There are two new FFM mask test drives going on the forum that you might benefit from:

HYBRID – by pjwalman
viewtopic/t33434/Hybrid-TestDrive-Continues.html

LIBERTY – by fortomorrow
viewtopic/t35474/ResMed-Mirage-Liberty-Test-Drive.html

Fortomorrow's is a small Liberty. I've got a large Liberty that's not on a test drive yet, but might just be convinced to leave my nightstand if there's any interest.

BTW Puffy eyes could be due to leaking?
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

One Tired Puppy

Post by One Tired Puppy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:48 pm

Hi Anne, I have tried the cold cloth in the am too. My eyes are pretty close set, so maybe the nose bridge part of the mask is putting too much pressure against the tissue of the eyes. I am thinking of trying the hybrid mask, since I mouth breath when asleep.

Kathy,

I also have close set eyes. I do find that the scarf helps some. At least I feel like I am protecting my eyes. I wear a small size quattro pro. I would like to be able to try out some other full face masks just to see if they are any better but can't afford to just now. As long as my pressure is low, my mask doesn't seem to leak. It is just as I go over like 10 then it does.

The bad thing about the puffy eyes is that it makes us look like we have aged more since cpap. I try to wear sunglassed everywhere possible to hide my eyes.

Let me know what kind of ffm works for you since we both have close set eyes. If it works for you I may give it a try. What size quattro pro do you use?

Anne

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:41 pm

So - on the side or belly means puffy eyes. Anyone get puffy eyes sleeping on their backs?

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

KATHRYN

Post by KATHRYN » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:49 pm

Anne, I use a small Quattro as well. I just ordered the hybrid with all sizes included from CPAP.com. I will let you know how it works for me after I receive it and use it a few nights. I should get it in about three days. I know the cpap therapy is working, but I sure would like to increase my comfort with it and not have other symptoms, that, yes, make me look older and more tired.

Hi Echo, the mask doesn't feel like it is leaking around the eyes before I go to sleep, but may be after I am asleep.

robrdavis

Post by robrdavis » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:33 pm

DreamDiver wrote:So - on the side or belly means puffy eyes. Anyone get puffy eyes sleeping on their backs?
Would a "99% sure I have" be an acceptable answer?

My eyes were so puffy when I woke up a couple of days ago, and I'm pretty sure I was on my back when I woke. I think that that was the night that my APAP ramped up to a pretty high pressure though. My leaks were higher than the Quattro chart said they should be, so I was probably leaking into my eyes. (Ok, that sounded bad... )

I've woken up puffy eyed when sleeping on my side too, so I'd have to cast my vote that the pillow is probably offsetting the mask just enough to leak.

Beth in Texas

Post by Beth in Texas » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:02 pm

My eyes are very puffy, too. Looks like I haven't slept in a million years & have aged about that much, too. I wonder if my headgear is too tight & putting too much pressure on my face... Feedback on this? Thanks!

Holly G.

Post by Holly G. » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:48 pm

You may consider the Respironics Fitlife total ffm. I know a few people with the puffy eye problem and this mask has helped them to have less puffiness when they wake up in the morning.

harry33

Post by harry33 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:39 pm

airleaks from top of mask are often blamed, air blown the wrong way up the tear drainage tubes occasionally, there are said to be 1 way flaps sometimes missing
on these tubes
experiment by wearing swimming goggles which should deal with both possibilities

a new mask not properly washed may give off chemical fumes to irritate the eyes
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored