Stiff neck and back, dry mouth. What am I doing wrong here?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cubism_dream

Stiff neck and back, dry mouth. What am I doing wrong here?

Post by cubism_dream » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:14 pm

Hi all,

I've posted a thread last month complaining about how CPAP was helping until the beginning of last month. Over the past few weeks, I've been able to keep my nasal pillows on, but for about two weeks now, I've been waking up with a stiff neck and back. I also wake up with a dry mouth and throat and I don't feel rested. I use a chin strap, so the nasal pillows must be leaking. However, the data in Sleepyhead indicates the opposite. I've tried using firmer and softer bed pillows and flipping my mattress to no avail. I wake up tired, groggy, and lousy. I don't believe I am doing anything different in my daily routine to cause the neck and back stiffness. FYI, I'm not taking any sleeping aids. Now that I think about it, there must be a mouth leak, even though my chin strap fits quite snugly.

I feel like I'm going backwards with my OSA treatment and it's very frustrating. Brain fog has come back, so if this or any future posts don't make any sense, this explains why.

Being unemployed doesn't help, either.

harry33

Re: Stiff neck and back, dry mouth. What am I doing wrong here?

Post by harry33 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:25 pm

dry mouth suggests mouth breathing which can happen with the tightest chinstrap, tape mouth, turn lips inward and apply tape with doubled back tear off strips on both ends

use small pillow, you dont have to lie on your back so move around in bed to get comfortable

if all else fails, use a full face mask
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

cubism_dream

Post by cubism_dream » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:14 pm

I've done mouth taping in the past but stopped doing it because I was trying to troubleshoot an issue with removing the mask in the middle of the night. I'll give it another shot though. Now that I think about it, I just haven't been physically comfortable when I get myself ready for sleep for the past couple of weeks. I'll try some different sleep positions.

Pap365

Post by Pap365 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:25 pm

Hi, you may have a mouth leak that is causing yourselves dry mouth but is too small to show on the data. Your neck pain could be from an overly tight chin strap or head gear. Over time the head gear stretches out and needs to be tighter. A pad to cushion the straps may help. Once your body experiences good sleep it wants more causing a period of fatigue. As your body adjusts the fatigue should go away. You could try your backup mask for a few days and see how you feel. Hang in there you'll get through this.
Formerly Newbieinohio

robysue

Post by robysue » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:14 am

As others have said, the dry mouth most likely indicates some leaking through the lips. It might not be full fledged mouth breathing---particularly since no major leak is showing up in SH. But it could be that your lips are coming open just enough to trigger a smallish leak. Even with a small mouth leak, the air is rushing through your mouth cavity and that's what triggers the drying.
cubism_dream wrote:Now that I think about it, I just haven't been physically comfortable when I get myself ready for sleep for the past couple of weeks. I'll try some different sleep positions.
I think you've nailed the problem with the stiff neck and back: Abnormal sleeping positions frequently lead to neck and back pain. In addition, once we're on xPAP, many of us move around less in our sleep than we did pre-xPAP. And if we fall asleep in an awkward position and stay there for hours, that definitely leads to problems with the neck and back. And waking up with a stiff neck or back often leads to waking up feeling less than refreshed or rested.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:16 am

It may be time to consider a full-face mask. Dry mouth with a nasal mask is typically a sign that you are getting mouth leaks. If you're leaking, you're not getting therapy. By getting a full face mask, the pressure between your nose and your mouth will be equal. With a full-face mask, air will not force itself out of your mouth and you will be able to keep your mouth closed, yet relaxed, while you breathe through your nose as normal. It's a lot easier than taping, and while it may scarier-looking, it definitely offers a better handle on mouth leak control.

cubism_dream

Post by cubism_dream » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:05 am

So I tried mouth taping last night and I felt significantly better this morning. I'll give mouth taping a try for the next few weeks to see how things go. I was never a fan of using the chin strap, but I feel uneasy with deliberately keeping my mouth shut every night with tape.

This is a bit off topic, but for those of you who use a FFM, did you go straight from having a prescription for a FFM/nasal mask or did you gradually transition to a FFM? I'm reluctant to get one, but if any more problems persist, I'll look into trying one out. I'll give the suggestions regarding neck and back stiffness a try and will report back in a few days!

Kaylis

Post by Kaylis » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:34 am

I was able to get a full face mask as a back up just by asking for it at the DME when I was due for a replacement. I thought it might help when I was congested, but I had worked so hard on teaching myself not to breathe through my mouth that it didn't. It could also have been the mask, though, since I used one at the hospital and I was quite comfortable in that FFM.

Good luck!

jamiswolf

Post by jamiswolf » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:36 am

Hi folks,
I don't mouth breath...but ended up with a FF mask due to it's comfort. There's more sealing surface area with a FF and, for me it just ends up being more comfortable. I used to get lip pain with my Comfortgel nasal.

Seems to me a FF mask would be easier then taping...but that's not coming from experience. I went through 4 or 5 masks during my initial fit time and the last one was a Quattro which works well for me.
Jamis

cubism_dream

Post by cubism_dream » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:19 pm

*Status update*

I've been mouth taping all week and my cognitive function has slowly improved. I'm not sure what I've been doing but the stiffness has gradually decreased as well. I picked up a Quattro FX FFM today and I'm looking forward to using it tonight. Hopefully, I'll get my mind back in a few weeks. Wish me luck!

-CD