Blowing air Temperature and Humidity

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Papit

Blowing air Temperature and Humidity

Post by Papit » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:01 pm

Here's an observation about whether or not the blowing air temperature and humidity are important for comfort and compliance.
Would like to hear opinions and thoughts from others on the topic.

Just came back from a ten-day trip to a climate that was 70 - 80 degrees F. with humidity consistently in the high 60s - 75% RH range. We kept the indoor temperature set to about 73 - 74 degrees F. I assume the indoor humidity was about 65% or so as air conditioning did not have to kick in much at our set room temperature and doors were frequently opened and closed.

I took my CPAP, but left my H5i humidifier at home (northern Virginia) where current temperature indoors is kept about 70 - 71 degrees F. and humidity indoors is about 29%. For the past two months as a newbie, I have always used the humidifier. It came with the package.

During the trip, I noticed no difference in comfort or anything else while using CPAP without the H5i humidifier away from home. The humidity and temperature in the room for ten days was not much different from what we keep it set at home, although outdoor temperature and humidity were much much higher on this trip.

Upon return home I tried to continue using the CPAP without the H5i humidifier for two nights. I'm using a nasal pillows mask right now. I noticed no throat or other irritation breathing the much lower humidity ambient room air through the CPAP. However, I did notice a slight persistent annoying, dull ache or discomfort in both nostrils where the pillows were each directing the room temperature CPAP blowing air (70 - 71 degrees F.). Now that is only 10 degrees F. lower, although 50% points lower in humidity, than the H5i blowing air of about 80 degrees F. and 80% RH -- which I understand is produced when the H5i "Climate Control" is set to "80" (pre-set by my sleep tech).

As I had no throat irritation, I have doubts that the humidification was a significant factor during this informal test. But the 10 degrees warmer H5i blowing air seems to have eliminated the distracting dull ache from the coolness where the pillows directed their air streams.

If I don't need the extra humidity and can avoid the daily water tub refillings, does anyone know whether I can use the H5i just to warm the air with its Climate Control continuing to be set at 80? I don't see why it should "bother" the H5i if there is no water in its tub. Why would it "care"?

Thanks, --Papit

harry33

Re: Blowing air Temperature and Humidity

Post by harry33 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:43 pm

Ive been using a CPAP since 1995 and have never used a humidifier or felt the need for one, I didnt use one when staying at las vegas, although perhaps the hotel humidified the air
as long as you dont mouth breathe, the nostrils humidify the air you breathe
unless you have a very high pressure which may dry out the mouth, I think humidifiers are a confidence trick
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

ThirdOutOfFive

Re: Blowing air Temperature and Humidity

Post by ThirdOutOfFive » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:09 pm

I have dry nasal passages due to prescription drugs. I am very uncomfortable with out my humdi. We are all different, and what works for me may not work for others.