I'm a new user again

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
enzoweb

I'm a new user again

Post by enzoweb » Mon May 02, 2011 8:50 pm

I first got my Resmed S8 and posted on this forum way back in 2008, then stopped using the device because of various problems (travelled a bit, mask caused a rash, frequent wake-ups, moved house etc).

Anyway, I've now started using it again after my wife reminded me how much it cost and have some new questions so would appreciate some advice.

I apologise if these have been asked and answered by others, this forum is very active and I find this makes it hard to go through all the search results.

So, here we go:

Is there a definitive link / post here that explains how to ensure I'm getting the best out of the equipment with regards to lowering the various figures (AHI, AI, HI etc)?

I have a humidifier but my mouth is always dry when I wake up and the tube has some water in it - I have the humidifier almost up to the max setting and a sleeve on the tube. I have seen there are some heated tubes out there - do they work? Can anyone explain why the humidifier doesn't seem to be doing it's job?

Can I use other (non-resmed) masks with the S8? I assume they are all just a rubber connector? What is generally regarded as the best mouth and nose mask?

Is it worth updating from the S8 to the S9? What are the extra (valuable) features?

I have the Resscan V3.3 software (came with the machine), but I see there is a newer version but that it's not officially available. Can someone PM me a link to the download? I've read some other threads where people find this acceptable.

I'm now determined to persevere, I've been on vacation for a week so have used the fact that I didn't have to get up for work to use the equipment and it's been a real benefit. I'm now only waking up about once a night instead of 5-6 times.

Thanks in advance.

ozij

Re: I'm a new user again

Post by ozij » Mon May 02, 2011 9:20 pm

enzoweb wrote: So, here we go:

Is there a definitive link / post here that explains how to ensure I'm getting the best out of the equipment with regards to lowering the various figures (AHI, AI, HI etc)?
Not really, since what works well for one does not work well for another. You have to become a scientist researching you own case systematically.
I have a humidifier but my mouth is always dry when I wake up and the tube has some water in it - I have the humidifier almost up to the max setting and a sleeve on the tube. I have seen there are some heated tubes out there - do they work?
Dry mouth is a result of mouth leaks, or mouth breathing - no matter how highly humidified, the pressurized air blowing through your mouth will dry it out - you have find a solution to keep that from happening.
Some use full face masks
Some use chin straps
Some use tape.

The heated tube I bought at http://www.sleepzone.com.au works great it allows me to have warm humid air - which I need.
Keep in mind that some people need less humidity to keep their airway open: too much warmth or humidity causes congestion for some people - and congestion makes them open their mouth. So you'll have to play it by ear.

For me, a hose cover was not enough. Depending in the type of mask, humidifier and pressure, there were times I needed to cover the narrow hose of my nasal pillows mask, in addition to using a heated hose.
Can anyone explain why the humidifier doesn't seem to be doing it's job?
Its job is to supply humidity - and it's doing that. The humidifier heat only generats more humidity - which condenses in your hose; a heated humidifier does not add heat to the air you breath. If you want warm air, or more humidity with less condensation, you need a heated hose.
Can I use other (non-resmed) masks with the S8? I assume they are all just a rubber connector?
Yes
What is generally regarded as the best mouth and nose mask?
I'm not being flippant: the one that works for you. If you're lucky, it will be the first one you try. Most of us had to go through a number of masks before finding the right one.
Is it worth updating from the S8 to the S9? What are the extra (valuable) features?
That depends on the quality of therapy you get from the S8 and on the data you want.
Because of my breathing pattern, I get better therapy with the S9, so for me the upgrade was worth it.
This is not necessarily true of everyone.
The S9 also gave me the flow data I needed for trouble shooting.
I have the Resscan V3.3 software (came with the machine), but I see there is a newer version but that it's not officially available.
ResScan in the newer version is officially available, for free - please type "ResScan + download" in the search box (without the quotes) - you'll find it in seconds.
I'm now determined to persevere, I've been on vacation for a week so have used the fact that I didn't have to get up for work to use the equipment and it's been a real benefit. I'm now only waking up about once a night instead of 5-6 times.
That's very good.
Welcome back, and good luck!

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

harry33

Post by harry33 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:37 am

re the mask rash
all new masks and headgear need to be soaked and gently washed in warm ( not hot) water with mild detergent to remove chemicals that can cause a skin rash, rinse in cold water and dry
do keep using CPAP, seriously it will cause you to live longer welcome back
the only way to guarantee no mouth breathing with any nose only mask is to tape lips. roll lips inward so tape sticks to skin above and below the lips
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

enzoweb

Post by enzoweb » Wed May 04, 2011 6:19 am

Thanks for all the info, I'll go through it when I have some time.

With regards to the dry mouth, I have the Resmed Liberty which has the mouth part, which is why I wonder why I get dry mouth when I don't if I don't wear the mask.

Thanks