Extremely tired

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
giantred

Extremely tired

Post by giantred » Mon May 02, 2011 4:38 pm

I used my AutoCPAP the last 2 nights. I noticed today, I'm really tired. Hard to explain, slept enough, but it feels like I didn't, I feel like I just need to keep sleeping. Anyone experience this, Any solutions?

scrapper

Re: Extremely tired

Post by scrapper » Mon May 02, 2011 5:23 pm

You say...the last two nights........... What about all of the nights before that?

You've been here before....you know someone is going to ask

“Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% what you make of it.” Charles Swindoll

giantred

Post by giantred » Tue May 03, 2011 9:03 am

I didn't use it for a long time prior to that, I can't exacatly remember. But I would like to know what the problem is as to why I'm so tired if I used it for the entire night? Shouldn't I feel rested?

harry33

Post by harry33 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:15 am

your lips must stay sealed to prevent mouth breathing with your mask, mouth breathing stops all CPAP benefits and causes a dry mouth and tongue

with correct CPAP use the benefits can take a while to becoma obvious, anyhow your heart will thank you for continuing to use your CPAP correctly to be blunt, it will keep beating longer
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

JointPain

Post by JointPain » Tue May 03, 2011 1:34 pm

I also just restarted using my CPAP on a regular basis after a long break, and I've been having a mixture of mornings/days on which I feel really good and days on which I feel really exhausted / dead tired. My AHI numbers seem pretty good (< 2) every day and I've also been sleeping longer every night than before I got back on the CPAP, so it's kind of weird.

I thought it might have something to do with a hose leak I found (but haven't measured) and some nights that have had more mask leaks than others, but the leaks are not really very bad so I'm not at all sure what's going on. The summary stats say good mask fit every day, but looking in the detailed plots shows a slightly different story. Do you have the software so you can have a detailed look at what's going on?

My tiredness does seem to be getting better though. Perhaps just the body's weird way of catching up on sleep debt: "that sleep was good, compared to all that other shuteye, I want more, more, more of that good sleep". Let's hope so.

Please hang in there and keep us informed.

scrapper

Post by scrapper » Tue May 03, 2011 8:51 pm

You don't get into a sleep deprivation overnight, and you certainly don't get out of the situation in two nights either............

Keeping leaks low or zero, preventing mouth breathing etc is all important, AFTER YOU START USING THE MACHINE CONSISTENTLY.

“Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% what you make of it.” Charles Swindoll

giantred

Post by giantred » Wed May 04, 2011 9:32 am

I used it again last night. During the night I noticed that as I was exhaling it felt like I could feel air pressure releasing from my mouth. It feels like air accumulates in the lungs and as I exhale it releases, I can actually feel it. Is it possible that air pressure is either too high or too low. I'm not sure. I remember in the manual you can set it anywhere I think from 1 to 3. What should I put it at with the current pressure that I'm feeling?

giantred

Post by giantred » Wed May 04, 2011 6:46 pm

Help? Should I use 1 or 3?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu May 05, 2011 8:46 am

giantred wrote:Help? Should I use 1 or 3?
CFlex 1, 2 or 3 are comfort settings to aid in exhaling against the pressure. A setting of 3 seems to be "faster" in terms of the breathing rhythm. It isn't a per cm drop in pressure like the EPR settings on the ResMed machines, more like a small drop and a rhythm change. I found a setting of 3 seemed to make we want to breathe faster than I wanted to so a setting of 1 or 2 is better for me. Some people do fine with this feature turned off.

I didn't see where you mentioned what pressure you are using or if you are using ramp.

CFlex is entirely optional and you will just have to experiment to see which works best for you. I am not understanding what you are describing as a problem so unsure if changing CFlex setting will even make any difference but it sure wouldn't hurt to try.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

gasp

Post by gasp » Thu May 05, 2011 11:09 am

It is best to use your machine/mask every night to allow yourself to get used to using it. Otherwise every time you decide to use it you may sleep less well than without it. By using it once in awhile, you guarantee that you will never reach the stage of getting used to it and sleeping without being aware of the equipment.

After getting used to using it you should get good therapy and good sleep.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu May 05, 2011 11:20 am

If we keep doing what we do, why should we think the result will not be the same??? XPAP treatment isn't for now and then, it's for all the time. We wasted time going to the ICONNY links to SEE what equiptment , you think you use.

Nasal masks don't prevent mouthbreathing, mouthbreathing can prevent your treatment from working, period. According to your ICONNY (not text) listing of your machine, you could use the software to monitor your treatment, but you don't. Therefore you have no way to see how your treatment is doing.

These things need to be dealt with to improve your outcome. Ignore them and expect things to stay the same, along with your overhealth getting worse at a faster rate than need be. The ball is in your court, swing or miss. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu May 05, 2011 11:35 am

I just had this thought about not sleeping well with CPAP.

If CPAP is keeping you from sleeping well, you're losing sleep time. It's like having a baby, barking dog, noisy neighbor, back pain, etc. that keeps waking you up.

If you need CPAP and aren't using it, you're losing oxygen time. Someone is strangling you for short periods during the night.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Thu May 05, 2011 11:50 am

Goofproof wrote:If we keep doing what we do, why should we think the result will not be the same??? XPAP treatment isn't for now and then, it's for all the time. We wasted time going to the ICONNY links to SEE what equiptment , you think you use.

Nasal masks don't prevent mouthbreathing, mouthbreathing can prevent your treatment from working, period. According to your ICONNY (not text) listing of your machine, you could use the software to monitor your treatment, but you don't. Therefore you have no way to see how your treatment is doing.

These things need to be dealt with to improve your outcome. Ignore them and expect things to stay the same, along with your overhealth getting worse at a faster rate than need be. The ball is in your court, swing or miss. Jim
Exactly.

Use the software.
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent