What is the best cpap machine on the market now?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
hscoggins

What is the best cpap machine on the market now?

Post by hscoggins » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:20 pm

I am a self-pay person with no insurance, I would like to get some feedback on what people think is the best/affordable cpap on the market now. Are the auto-cpaps any better than the old cpap machines? I currently have a S6 that is on its last leg I believe. Any advise is appreciated.

Hugh

Wulfman

Re: What is the best cpap machine on the market now?

Post by Wulfman » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:35 pm

hscoggins wrote:I am a self-pay person with no insurance, I would like to get some feedback on what people think is the best/affordable cpap on the market now. Are the auto-cpaps any better than the old cpap machines? I currently have a S6 that is on its last leg I believe. Any advise is appreciated.

Hugh
If you're looking for versatility, any of the following would be good choices. The last two are made by the same company.
I've listed the ones who come bundled with software and readers, except the Autoset II software is a little harder to get (as I understand).

Den

M Series Auto CPAP with A-Flex, Heated Humidifier, EncoreViewer and Card Reader
https://www.cpap.com/productpage-bundle ... undle.html

S8 AutoSet II with H3i Heated Humidifier

Sandman Auto CPAP with Built In Heated Humidifier and Sandman Therapy Software Kit

420E CPAP with Heated Humidifier and Silverlining Software
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:42 pm

The answer to your questions depends upon who you ask!

The auto-cpaps (any brand) are better because they also run in cpap mode as well as auto mode. You can use either. If you use cpap mode, you can use the auto mode for a "mini" sleep study once in awhile if you think something has changed. If you use auto mode, you can set a range of pressure that will allow the machine to adapt to you all night with a range of pressures instead of one set pressure all night.

The other feature that makes a machine "the best" is exhalation relief. On Respironics machines that's C-Flex, A-Flex or Bi- Flex. On Resmeds it's EPR. Actually I shouldn't comment, in detail, on other than Respironics machines because that's what I have and don't know much about the others.

The "best" cpap on the market are also "data capable" so that, with software and a reader, you can monitor your therapy each night or as often as you want and really know how your therapy is going.

Online at cpap.com is the most affordable place to purchase any cpap equipment.

If you ask me, I have Respironics Remstar Auto M Series with A-Flex and the software and reader to go with it, as you see in my profile, and I think it's great.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:43 pm

The absolute best in my opinion would be the Resmed S8 II AutoSet. The new EasyBreathe technology is smooth and great. EPR is available in straight CPAP mode or in auto mode. The integrated humidifier is EASY to install and fill and clean. There's quite a bit of data available w/an easy button push combo via the LCD screen. It is lightweight and quiet.

The Resmed S8 II Elite w/EPR is the best straight CPAP available, again in my opinion, and is the equivalent of the AutoSet w/o the auto mode.

Many here swear by the Respironics M Series Auto w/A-Flex. There is also a Respironics M Series Auto w/C-Flex. In straight CPAP it would be the Respironics M Series Pro w/C-Flex.

The most devoted fans seem to be the minority who have the Puritan Bennett GoodKnight 420E. I've never heard a complaint against this device. And, PB (now Covidian) has come out w/the new Sandman Info (straight CPAP) and Sandman Auto. If you NEED exhalation pressure relief the PB/Covidians don't provide it. But the users say that it really isn't needed w/these devices.

Any of the above xPAPs would be a good choice. All are top quality devices. cpap.com allows you to do a comparison of the devices that interest you by category (CPAP & autoPAP) and you can print out the comparisons to mull over more than once.

One thing to keep in mind: Resmed, Respironics and Fisher & Paykel have somewhat recently instituted MAP (minimum advertised pricing) policies against online DME suppliers so you can't "believe" the prices posted for these brands' devices. Decide which interest you and then call the online supplier via their toll-free number and ASK if they have an "unadvertised sale price" on it/them. The MAPs make online price comparison shopping a bit more difficult but it can be done w/o too great an effort.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:49 pm

For extremly high treat pressures, I like, the Binford 3000, Tim the Toolman, modified it with a bigger motor, now you don't have to have the correct sized mask, the power of the Binford 3000, expands the mask so one size fits all. You do have to install a 10 guage wiring to the outlet you plug into and it 'ays to have the fire department on speeddial. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:51 pm

Leave it to GoofProof!!!!!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:59 pm

I thought it was the Binford 6100. The 3000 is a sissy machine! Don't listen to Slinky, get a "M" Series Auto W/A-Flex.

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:05 pm

6PtStar wrote:I thought it was the Binford 6100. The 3000 is a sissy machine! Don't listen to Slinky, get a "M" Series Auto W/A-Flex.

Jerry
The Binford 6100, was that prototype that Tim had his boss throw into the Binford Tool Compactor because they cut too many production corners, like plastic cases, sleeve bearings and don't forget, Blue Led's. Jim

We have waay too much time on our hands don't we!!!
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

freepostg

Post by freepostg » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:07 pm

I'm with Slinky..the Resmed S8 II AutoSet is the newest and imho, the best for the many reasons previously stated.

fuzzy96

Post by fuzzy96 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:39 pm

i've been working on reverse engineering a hoover combined with hewlet-packard electronics. but it may be some time before it hits the market.. all my research to date is pointing to the fact that the hoover sucks!!!! but don't give up and never quit.

Georgio

Post by Georgio » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:39 pm

I just got the following (3 nights) and so far much better than straight CPCAP..my mother got one too......

M Series Auto CPAP with A-Flex, Heated Humidifier, EncoreViewer and Card Reader
https://www.cpap.com/productpage-bundle/ ... undle.html

I looked at the ResMed Autoset II and considered it seriously, however all told with software, etc. it was about another $400.00 on top of the $900. for the M Series & I paid cash too. Based on the fact that so many people here are happy with their A-flex, and that was what my mom was getting so I could read her data on my card reader and software.....thats what I went with. I don't think you can go wrong with either machine and there are probably more good one's out there. The Autoset I think is almost a brand new release....I don't think has the track record of the M Series, which has had some bugs worked out in the past year or so. Be sure to check cpap.com....and call them for prices...........Georgio
M-Series W/Aflex, Swift LT, Encoreviewer