OT: What changes to the air does natural gas cause?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tetragon

OT: What changes to the air does natural gas cause?

Post by tetragon » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:59 pm

What changes to the quality of the air does natural gas cause? The friends who helped me move noticed a slight gas smell, but I didn't notice any difference in air quality, even after not being near the old apartment for a few days. The air tasted the same, I didn't notice any feeling of humidity, temperature, or volatility differences. So how could they tell that there was anything different about the air?

Slinky

Re: OT: What changes to the air does natural gas cause?

Post by Slinky » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:09 pm

Some people have more sensitive noses and stronger sense of smell than others. And we get acclimated to the odors in our own home that others who live elsewhere can pick up on when they visit in our home.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:13 pm

tetragon wrote:What changes to the quality of the air does natural gas cause? The friends who helped me move noticed a slight gas smell, but I didn't notice any difference in air quality, even after not being near the old apartment for a few days. The air tasted the same, I didn't notice any feeling of humidity, temperature, or volatility differences. So how could they tell that there was anything different about the air?
It doesn't smell - they add it. Mostly you die because it replaces the oxygen or some spark blows up the building.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

tetragon

Post by tetragon » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:21 pm

So, the way to tell that I'm near gas is that I'll blow up or otherwise die. How dramatic. Time to keep a very close eye on my stove's four pilot lights (that I know of, I haven't checked the oven yet).

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:10 pm

They add a component to natural gas to give it an unmistakable, strong odor. If you had a gas leak in your apartment, you would smell it. You would want to open a window. Neighbors in the same building would probably smell it. If your windows were closed, the smell would get stronger and stronger as the gas replaced the air.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

tetragon

Post by tetragon » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:27 pm

As only two out of three people noticed any gas smell, even when outside, walking past the gas meter, that means it probably wasn't gas? It's not like I noticed anything strange about the air.

fuzzy96

Post by fuzzy96 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:36 pm

natural gas has no odor they add a sulfate type chemical to give it a smell.
some people cannot smell it.
like h2s exposure can wweaken your ability to smell it.
for people who cannot smell it there are gas detectors that can alarm you . some places require these by code. ant propane supplier can get these for you '
all new campers,travel trailers and such are required by federal standards to have these installed from the manufacturer.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:41 pm

Natural gas is colorless, no humidity, ..............you would only notice it by the odor, and yes it kills.
Most gas companies will come out and check your lines for free if you give them a phone call. I had a leak at the intake on the outside of my house, my neighbours could smell it but I could not. I did have a headache that was quickly getting worse. The guy from the gas company told me it was a good thing the neighbour smelled it when he was mowing the grass.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:21 pm

Natural gas is odorless. Utilities almost always add a chemical to the gas delivered to your home that has a "skunk" smell so you'll know there's a leak.

With most smells, if you smell it all the time, you may not smell it after a while if the smell is there all the time. I think this can happen with natgas.

The big risk is explosion or fire. Any known health effects only happen at much higher concentrations.

In theory, natgas is not toxic other than mechanically displacing oxygen if the concentration is high enough. If you put enough of any gas other than oxygen into the air, you'll eventually suffer or die from lack of oxygen. Some people think there are toxic effects from natgas or contaminants in the commercial natgas supply.

I'd rather not breathe it on a regular basis, but am not terribly worried about it other than the explosion/fire risk.

You can buy combination carbon monoxide/natgas detectors that are sort of like smoke detectors. The ones you buy are not that sensitive, mostly detecting explosive concentrations. I have one, but don't put a lot of faith in it. The gas company should have more sensitive natgas detectors to find leaks.

Some parts of the world used to use "town gas" or "coal gas," which is part carbon monoxide, and is terribly toxic. I don't think it was ever common in the US. The UK used to use it, but I think it's rarely used in the UK today. I don't know if it's used in houses anywhere in the world today.

Natgas from wells and some pipelines may not have odorant added and may not smell. They use refrigerated liquid natural gas in some big trucks and other uses and this will not necessarily smell either.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:24 pm

tetragon wrote:As only two out of three people noticed any gas smell, even when outside, walking past the gas meter, that means it probably wasn't gas? It's not like I noticed anything strange about the air.
Just call the gas company and tell them that some people are smelling gas. They will send someone out to check it asap. They really, really want to catch it when it is just a whiff, before it blows up the building....

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

MidnightOwl

Post by MidnightOwl » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:26 am

I agree with the other posters. If 2 other people smelled gas you need to call your gas company even if you smelled nothing. It's better to have them come out and maybe find nothing than the other way around.

Tip10

Post by Tip10 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:02 am

RandyJ wrote:They add a component to natural gas to give it an unmistakable, strong odor. If you had a gas leak in your apartment, you would smell it. You would want to open a window. Neighbors in the same building would probably smell it. If your windows were closed, the smell would get stronger and stronger as the gas replaced the air.
The component they add is various different chemical combinations of the chemical Mercaptan.

If you have a VERY STRONG smell of natural gas in your apartment you SHOULD NOT open a window -- you should immediately exit and call the authorities.

Natural Gas is ONLY explosive in concentrations roughly between 5 and 15% -- below 5% and above 15% it will not explode -- a VERY STRONG smell of NatGas may indicate concentrations above the explosive limit -- opening a window would serve to dillute the gas down into the explosive range.

At an rate, if you smell the odorant in NatGas you should call the local gas company -- they've got the sniffers and other equipment to locate and isolate leaks -- you should not be able to smell NatGas from properly operating appliances.

I don't suffer from Insanity -- I rather enjoy it!!

jmcanzo

Post by jmcanzo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:09 am

This is what a gas leak can do.... I live about 5 miles from where this happened. I shook my house. The gas co WAS Called earlier in the morning, but it blew before they found the leak. http://www.freep.com/article/20101229/N ... ture-store

CALL THE GAS COMPANY NOW!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:20 pm

Small natural gas leaks like pilot lights don't pose much of a problem, big ones do. Be sure to worry about water in your pipes, people can drown from water. Nothing it 100% foolproof to a fool, we face danger from everything we use in our lives,it's part of life. You need to match the threat to the result. Jim

How many in one square mile of your house have been harmed by natural gas, NONE.

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:27 pm

The gas company will check it for free; If you can't reach them, the fire department will--also free.
--as far as I know. Even if there were a charge, it would be totally worth it.