Removing the DreamStation humidifier piece

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DaisySmith

Removing the DreamStation humidifier piece

Post by DaisySmith » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:45 pm

Did you even know you could take it off? I din't either and I was so excited. Then I took it off, plugged the hose right into the small piece and put it on. To say that your breathing is LOUD is an understatement. I don't use the humidifier at all because I hate the feeling of moist air. I thought "yay I get to cut my cpap machine in half" but noooooo. If you plug the hose right into the smaller piece the air and breathing sounds are not muffled or filtered at all.

Has anyone tried this?

Isnt that what a travel size cpap is? Just the unit, minus the bulky humidifier?

Bertha deBlues

Re: Removing the DreamStation humidifier piece

Post by Bertha deBlues » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:19 pm

Yes, I tried my DreamStation without the humidifier attached - for about 5 minutes! I was amazed at how much louder it is without the humidifier.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make. - Paul McCartney

marnne108

Post by marnne108 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:41 pm

Most of the time I use my DreamStation w/o the humidifier. I live in the middle of a busy city (Philadelphia) and fall to sleep each night with earphones on listening to music. So, my DreamStation never sounds noisy to me. Now my neighbors...that's another story. The things I hear are comic relief for me. :lol:

Bertha deBlues

Post by Bertha deBlues » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:50 pm

marnne108 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:41 pm
Most of the time I use my DreamStation w/o the humidifier. I live in the middle of a busy city (Philadelphia) and fall to sleep each night with earphones on listening to music. So, my DreamStation never sounds noisy to me. Now my neighbors...that's another story. The things I hear are comic relief for me. :lol:
Ah, I remember city noises. We lived for several years on a bus route, between a hospital and a television station, with a fire department not far away. Between the bus engines, sirens and dueling helicopters (news and hospital) it was never quiet. The DreamStation's sound would have been no worse than having a fan blowing. I've gotten used to the suburban quiet.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make. - Paul McCartney

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:20 am

I took the humidifier off my Dreamstation about a year ago. I really did not experience any more noise without it, that I noticed. I live in a quiet residential suburb so, not much noise.
I had used passive humidity for years (no heat but water in the tank).
I do fall asleep with a nature sound machine but, I get up - usually - once during the night. The sound machine is not on then and I really don't hear any noise when I connect up again. However, everyone is different!

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:04 am

I wonder how well the Airsense end cap works with sound.
--not that I would ever consider "going dry"--just wondering.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:31 am

I noticed that it considerable noisier without the humidifier attached. If you don't like the moist air but the noise bothers you, you can set attach the unit, set the humidification to zero or off, and that will help to muffle the noise. If it's off, there's no need to add water.