Which machine would you buy? Autoset II vs. PRS1 Auto

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
hamletsdemise

Which machine would you buy? Autoset II vs. PRS1 Auto

Post by hamletsdemise » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:40 pm

Hi

I have the option of purchasing a new machine. Both with heated humidifiers. One is a private sale (S8), the other is zero hour and open box with a two year warranty.

The choices are....

PR System One REMstar Auto CPAP at $425.00 American
or
S8 AutoSet II CPAP Machine $600.00 Canadian

Which would you go for?

Last edited by hamletsdemise on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

cpapper13

Re: Which machine would you go buy?

Post by cpapper13 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:50 pm

Id go with the S8. It is quieter and smaller then the PR ONE. Also Resmed has a much better quality track record.

There is a new S9 device that is coming out on March 1st, which you may want to investigate.

hamletsdemise

Post by hamletsdemise » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:04 pm

1-0 for Resmed so far.

Thanks.

hamletsdemise

Post by hamletsdemise » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:06 pm

Do either of these machines make it easier to follow your progress or sleep activity?

dsm

Post by dsm » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:16 pm

Both are good machines but you have confused me by quoting one in $US & another in $CA ?

If there were a $200 diff I'd go for the cheaper one (I have no idea how the Kanuk buck stax agin the $US)
The S8 II may be a tad quieter but no so much as to stop me buying the PR1 if I was saving significant $s.

Good luck

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

torontoCPAPguy

Post by torontoCPAPguy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:48 pm

hamletsdemise wrote:Hi

I have the option of purchasing a new machine. Both with heated humidifiers. One is a private sale (S8), the other is zero hour and open box with a two year warranty.

The choices are....

PR System One REMstar Auto CPAP at $425.00 American
or
S8 AutoSet II CPAP Machine $600.00 Canadian

Which would you go for?
Difficult to believe that a brand new S8 Autoset II can be had in Canada for $600CDN. By comparison, the same machine, purchased from cpap.com and picked up stateside (have it delivered to your hotel) or bought from one of the online sellers that WILL deliver to Canada runs about $650 US and comes with warranty and all the doodads.

All things being equal I am presently using the Autoset II and I love it. I am using the Mirage Activa LT nosebag and love it as well. Be prepared to invest in small things like hose blankets and such. But you will not go very far wrong with an Autoset II and you will be able to pick up a card reader for $69 and read your own data.

Frankly I am not familiar with the REMStar - the S8 series seems to be the going thing right now. And it sure is quiet.

Murray in Richmond Hill ON

PS - If you are in Ontario the government will kick in several hundred dollars towards your machine but I have not figured out how to prevent oneself from getting royally hosed in the process.

Fall colours. One of God's gifts. Life is fragile and short, savour every moment no matter what your problems may be. These stunning fall colours from my first outing after surviving a month on life support due to H1N1.

hamletsdemise

Post by hamletsdemise » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:52 pm

In Newfoundland, not as many options out here.

Thanks for the info. The Autoset II is from a classified. But the gentleman is pretty honest, I think we know some of the same people. Small place this rock. I'm more than likely going that way... just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:59 pm

I chose an AutoSet II when I purchased in Oct. If buying used, I would want to know if the person was a smoker, how many hours of useage, where and when was it purchased, and if it was purchased new. Better yet, try it out before buying.

Does it come with the heated humidifier? I would purchase a new hose and mask anyway, and change the filter.

hamletsdemise

Post by hamletsdemise » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:05 pm

Machine is brand new. never been used. It was purchased as a backup... He's really lowered the price for me, which is amazing. I will be sure to scope it out before I pay the money. But, all in all it seems like a great deal.

The Respironics is a zero hour machine. will cost 508 Canadian by the time it gets to me. 2 year Warranty.

rosiefrosie

Post by rosiefrosie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:48 pm

I would buy the Autoset 11.

rosie

freepostg

Post by freepostg » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:18 pm

For what it's worth, I would think the autoset 11 should be coming down in price shortly as the s9 comes online next month. imho.

fadedgirl

Post by fadedgirl » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:50 pm

The PRS1 is smaller and lighter, if weight is an issue for anyone who wants to travel with it.

I have both. I think they both are very quiet, but found that S8 made a more variable noise (and slightly louder) in the hose, whereas the hose noise on my PRS1 was more constant and muted. Same exact Aussie Heated Hose used on both. Both were used with no EPR/no Flex.

S8 has better data read-out in the clinician's menu. I have the clinician's software for my PRS1 so this is of no consequence for me. I don't think the PRS1 has the mask-fitting/analysis mode that the S8 has.

Have you used either brand before? I could not tolerate the S8 on auto mode. It nearly killed me with aerophasia, whereas I have never even had a hint of that with the PRS1. Some of the fine folks here think it was due to the difference between the manufacturer's different algorithms that caused the aerophasia. Point being, if you've used a Respironics before and had good results, you may want to stick with that brand. I know the algorithms change from model to model, but Respironics does treat apneas & events differently than ResMed. Still, I probably won't be able to resist trying ResMed's S9 when it comes out.

hamletsdemise

Post by hamletsdemise » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:02 pm

Using a Respironics M-Series with C-flex right now... it seems to be going well.

Are algorithims that critical to the process? I'm relatively new... well I am new, and therefore slightly clueless. It only makes sense that they would be I guess.

I want the option to be able to track myself and see how I'm doing. Via a computer preferably. I hate staring at a tiny screen... and I appreciate a good graph when I see one. I'm kind of doing all of this work behind the backs of the sleep clinic. Simply because I can't afford to pay the outrageous price they're proposing. THey have been really good to me however, so I won't knock them too bad.

I find the noise from my current machine quite loud. I can sleep through it but I know my wife is affected - she would never say it, but she's definitely affected by it.

So... your position is to stay true to what you know? You make a good point.

hamletsdemise

Post by hamletsdemise » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:04 pm

Also, this is an amazing forum. Very helpful.

Thanks a bunch.

torontoCPAPguy

Post by torontoCPAPguy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:12 pm

hamletsdemise wrote:In Newfoundland, not as many options out here.

Thanks for the info. The Autoset II is from a classified. But the gentleman is pretty honest, I think we know some of the same people. Small place this rock. I'm more than likely going that way... just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.
Ah. Home of the tootons and screech and good, honest folk. I lost my $2,000 cellular phone on Halloween some years ago. Got back to the hotel after searching for it for hours and found a message waiting from my wife. The kids that found it took it to their parents who pushed the send button and called the last number dialled... my wife. I went over and picked it up and the kids would not take a reward offering. Instead they invited us to sit and watch hockey and drink beer and we had a blast. When I got home I made up a gift basket for those kids and sent it off.

We were in St. Johns for a week at a conference. When I got home I said to my wife if there was anyplace on Earth that I would be willing to move to in a blink it would be Newfoundland, even if those tootons sank to your feet and prevented you from moving too fast.

BTW, is there ANY level ground on the island ANYwhere?

Murray in Richmond Hill

Fall colours. One of God's gifts. Life is fragile and short, savour every moment no matter what your problems may be. These stunning fall colours from my first outing after surviving a month on life support due to H1N1.