What is a normal tidal volume and Peak flow

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
wlo2008

What is a normal tidal volume and Peak flow

Post by wlo2008 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:47 pm

I was wondering what the normal tidal volume and peak flow would be for a female.

Banned

Re: What is a normal tidal volume and Peak flow

Post by Banned » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:43 pm

wlo2008 wrote:I was wondering what the normal tidal volume and peak flow would be for a female.
How tall are you?

Banned
AVAPS: PC AVAPS, EPAP 15, IPAP Min 19, IPAP Max 25, Vt 520ml, BPM 10, Ti 1.8sec, RT 2 (Garage)
BiPAP Auto SV: EPAP 9, IPAP Min 14, IPAP Max 25, BPM 10, Ti 2sec, RT 2 (Travel Machine)
VPAP Adapt SV: EEP 10.4, Min PS 4.4 (Every Day)
Mask: Quattro

wlo2008

Post by wlo2008 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:44 pm

5 foot 4

Strapparatus

Post by Strapparatus » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:54 am

Normal tidal volume for individuals is based on weight in kg (10-15 ml/kg).
peak flow is based on age and height and gender. Peak flows decrease incrementally with age, height and gender.
google: nomogram for peak flows and seek out a chart to determine your normal.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:43 am

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~aair/asthma_PEF.htm

So, roughly, a 58 year old woman, 61 inches tall, could expect a normal peak flow of abut 430 L/M

Thank you, WLO, for asking this question and thank you, Strapparatus, for telling us how to find the answer for Peak Flow!

Unfortunately, math is not my forte, metrics even less so, so I don't have the foggiest how to figure out my Tidal Volume. *sigh*

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

StillAnotherGuest

Post by StillAnotherGuest » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:16 am

Strapparatus wrote:Normal tidal volume for individuals is based on weight in kg (10-15 ml/kg).
What is your reference for that value?

I'll bet Wendy is trying to reconcile these numbers:
Average Tidal volume is 349.2 ml
Average Peak Flow 25 lpm
so we may need some different nomograms.

SAG

Aromatherapy may help CPAP compliance. Lavender, Mandarin, Chamomile, and Sweet Marjoram aid in relaxation and sleep. Nature's Gift has these and a blend of all four called SleepEase.

wlo2008

Post by wlo2008 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:20 am

Yup your right. Trying to figure out if those numbers are to low or not. )..

wlo2008

Post by wlo2008 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:24 am

StillAnotherGuest wrote:
Strapparatus wrote:Normal tidal volume for individuals is based on weight in kg (10-15 ml/kg).
What is your reference for that value?

I'll bet Wendy is trying to reconcile these numbers:
Average Tidal volume is 349.2 ml
Average Peak Flow 25 lpm
so we may need some different nomograms.

SAG
So I went to the site and it says my Peak flow should be around 500ml and it is only 349.2ml is that good or bad?

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:08 am

Strapparatus wrote:Normal tidal volume for individuals is based on weight in kg (10-15 ml/kg). ...
110 lbs. So how many kg is 110 lbs?

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:37 am

Found a conversion chart!

http://www.healthyinfo.com/reference/we ... vert.shtml

110 lbs = 49.9 kg

Last night was a BAD night for all the "easy" data: AHI, Leak, Pressure, etc.!!!

Tidal Volume was Median: 320 ml, 95th Percentile 500 ml, Maximum 680 ml

Looks the "norm" would or should have been 499 ml to 748.5 ml ??? No where near so bad as I would have expected given how the night went and the rest of my data. And despite the rotten data I feel pretty good - so far today. We'll see what afternoon "siesta" time brings. And how late before I run outta steam tonight.

Thanks everyone, its been interesting! Its nice to know where one falls into the scheme of things, even if the news isn't so good as one would hope. Still its nice to know how far outta whack you are.

Last edited by Slinky on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Women are Angels. And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly.....on a broomstick. We are flexible like that.

OldLincoln

Post by OldLincoln » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:43 am

Download convert.zip. Convert is a simple stand alone program that you unzip and put anywhere you want. I discovered it years ago and it is very helpful (how many oz in a tablespoon?). It is clean and no adware, etc.

http://joshmadison.com/article/download ... or-windows
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet / F&P Simplex / DME: VA
It's going to be okay in the end; if it's not okay, it's not the end.

wlo2008

Post by wlo2008 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:48 am

Slinky wrote:Found a conversion chart!

viewtopic/t34491/What-is-a-normal-tidal ... -flow.html

110 lbs = 49.9 kg

Last night was a BAD night for all the "easy" data: AHI, Leak, Pressure, etc.!!!

Tidal Volume was Median: 320 ml, 95th Percentile 500 ml, Maximum 680 ml

Looks the "norm" would or should have been 499 ml to 748.5 ml ??? No where near so bad as I would have expected given how the night went and the rest of my data. And despite the rotten data I feel pretty good - so far today. We'll see what afternoon "siesta" time brings. And how late before I run outta steam tonight.

Thanks everyone, its been interesting! Its nice to know where one falls into the scheme of things, even if the news isn't so good as one would hope. Still its nice to know how far outta whack you are.
Where did you find the chart?

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:52 am

I am not convinced that these cpap machines can really accurately measure tidal volume or peak flow. Normally, that is done with a machine such as a spirometer. It seems that with a cpap pushing air out, the leaks with equipment and other variables, that these numbers are more a a general indicator rather than something that we can use against "normals". I would be interested in the thoughts of any respiratory therapists or other trained professionals reading this post - how accurate do you think any of these readings from cpap/bilevel really are?

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:54 am

Oooopsie!! Color me red-faced. I went back and edited my post and entered the CORRECT URL. Sorry 'bout that, WLO.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:59 am

Hey, Guest, "ain't" nuttin' in this world 100% guaranteed in this life but death and taxes and I'm beginning to wonder 'bout death, but have plenty of faith in the taxes. These xPAPs give us some info to work with, we don't necessarily take it as gospel. H*ll, an xray, CT scan or MRI result is only as good as the radiologist reading it. In the end, I always believe how I FEEL more than I do any of those test results.